It is currently October 18th, 2024, 9:20 am

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by jsmorley »

Hazrd wrote: September 30th, 2024, 12:10 pm Another thing im not so clear about: Is the api free? I dont even know how to generate an api key for myself
The API key that we use is embedded in the json code that Weather.com uses to support the display of the website page. It is no doubt intended for their internal purposes but does work for us to parse the json results. There is no need to generate an API key for yourself. No idea if this will work forever, probably not, but it has for a while now.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by Yincognito »

Hazrd wrote: September 30th, 2024, 12:10 pm Another thing im not so clear about: Is the api free? I dont even know how to generate an api key for myself
Technically, and especially for commercial purposes, no, though they use the same "public" - and thus, "free" in practice - key for everyone opening their site in the browser, so for now, there is a "loophole" that the "normal" (aka not excessively rich) users can benefit from.

How long that would last, that's another question, but for now, bar periodically changing it once a year or two, it works, so hopefully it can last long enough. Which is why having alternatives to switch to if needed is important in the long run. Unfortunately, for now, those alternatives aren't nearly as accurate and comprehensive as this one, so almost everyone naturally goes for the best they can use, for as long as they can use it. :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth