It is currently June 21st, 2024, 8:13 pm

⭐ Weather.com - Parsing the V3 JSON

Our most popular Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Team and others
jsmorley
Developer

Re: ⭐ Weather.com - Parsing the V3 JSON

Post by jsmorley »

EeK wrote: June 8th, 2020, 9:39 pm Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's working beautifully, including the location and F-C conversion under Settings. Absolutely perfect!

I'm so happy. I really appreciate your taking the time to fix the skin for me, jsmorley. <3

Also, is that a Firewatch wallpaper? I love that game and, especially, the art by the great Olly Moss. :)
Great. Glad to help!

And yep...

FireWatch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

I found a "cloudCeiling" item in the "getSunV3CurrentObservationsUrlConfig" section of the Weather.com JSON part. For example, it is now indicated as "22000" for my location under the units setting language:en-US;units:e. In this case, what is its unit? I supposed as "ft", because "22000 m" is too high , it is the altitude of the stratosphere O.O . If so, the example is 22000*0.3084=6784 m, seems to be natural.

Possibly this assumption is OK, but I can't find the explicit units definition for the item. In the jsmorley's full list, cloudCeiling is absent.

Anyone knows that?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mak_kawa wrote: June 9th, 2020, 2:42 am I found a "cloudCeiling" item in the "getSunV3CurrentObservationsUrlConfig" section of the Weather.com JSON part. For example, it is now indicated as "22000" for my location under the units setting language:en-US;units:e. In this case, what is its unit? I supposed as "ft", because "22000 m" is too high , it is the altitude of the stratosphere O.O . If so, the example is 22000*0.3084=6784 m, seems to be natural.

Possibly this assumption is OK, but I can't find the explicit units definition for the item. In the jsmorley's full list, cloudCeiling is absent.

Anyone knows that?
I didn't include that field, but yeah, in Imperial it would be in feet and in Metric in meters. Altitude in the US would be measured in feet, just like an airliner that flies at 30,000 feet. I wonder what you get with en-GB, the "hybrid" units. Still 22000 or is it then more like 6784?

Moderately interesting aside, with international air travel, all airlines, no matter what country, use "feet" to measure altitude. That is because Murica! We win... ;-)
Mimi33333

Post by Mimi33333 »

Hello ! :welcome:
I wanna some help ?
Is there any hope for the weather of LIM!T skin to work ?

I give up from trying :uhuh: :-( .

LIM!T.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi jsmorley

Thank you for comment. I am now confident of my assumption.

I tried "en-GB", but it returns "cloudCeiling":null...test failed. :-)

BTW, in my AccuWeather API skin, cloud ceiling is 5212 m, and the calculated feet-to-meter value for current Weather.com JSON is 4572.0 m.Maybe it is alright enough.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

mak_kawa wrote: June 9th, 2020, 3:06 am Hi jsmorley

Thank you for comment. I am now confident of my assumption.

I tried "en-GB", but it returns "cloudCeiling":null...test failed. :-)

BTW, in my AccuWeather API skin, cloud ceiling is 5212 m, and the calculated feet-to-meter value for current Weather.com JSON is 4572.0 m.Maybe it is alright enough.
Yes, that's probably because, as jsmorley somewhat alluded to, this measurement is relevant mostly for US domestic operations (e.g. airline traffic), and also possibly because the US "weather stations" have the right equipment / tools to perform this measurement (i.e. satellites?). Maybe even the fact that according to here, the measurement is not specifically reported as part of the METAR (METeorological Aviation Report), so it may miss from that data in various other regions.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
iron2000

Post by iron2000 »

Ok, its working again with the V3 code.
Hope it lasts.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mimi33333 wrote: June 9th, 2020, 2:59 am Hello ! :welcome:
I wanna some help ?
Is there any hope for the weather of LIM!T skin to work ?

I give up from trying :uhuh: :-( .

LIM!T.rar
Do you have a link where you got the original skin? I'd like to see what values are actually being displayed when the skin is working.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

iron2000 wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:53 am Ok, its working again with the V3 code.
Hope it lasts.
Yeah, well, if it doesn't, jsmorley does have the "old" V2 version somewhere, just in case, and I do have the code / regexes that will work with either version, changed field names or changed field order (didn't posted it here as it wasn't needed, in the end). So, you can relax and enjoy the beautiful weather. ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:55 am Do you have a link where you got the original skin? I'd like to see what values are actually being displayed when the skin is working.
Here, maybe?