It is currently September 7th, 2024, 11:33 pm

Skin behind taskbar

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Dex

Re: Skin behind taskbar

Post by Dex »

balala wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 5:55 pm Not sure. I changed a Windows 10 (not upgraded, but freshly installed Windows 11, after using Windows 10), in the conditions in which in Windows 10 the Microsoft tool told me I can't upgrade, because my computer is not compatible with Windows 11. However, when I did start installing Windows 11 from zero (as said, didn't upgrade the existing Windows 10, which I'd never do), it has been installed. So, there are no such problems, the purchased and freshly installed Windows 11 works very well.
Actually, I upgraded a few of my machines from Windows 10 to 11 without any hassle whatsoever. Again, few things have changed, so there isn't much to go wrong. But, of course, a clean installation is always preferable. I just can't be bothered, since I have gazillions of things and personalized settings that would take me eons to catalog and reproduce on a new computer.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:08 pm As an old geezer, I still shudder thinking about the release of Office 2007. I have never been able to get comfortable with Office again, and still need to aimlessly click around the ribbons until (if ever) I find what I'm looking for. Another great fix for something that wasn't broke.
I use Ashampoo Office, though I don't use it much so have the free version. The paid version has a customisable toolbar and both have the option to use ribbon or old school toolbars, which I too prefer. It's also got great compatibility with MS office,supposedly! Like I said, hardly ever need office apps, so can't really comment much on compatibility. But never had an issue with it, great app! :)
57686174 77696C6C 6265 77696C6C 6265
Dex

Post by Dex »

sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:19 pm I use Ashampoo Office, though I don't use it much so have the free version. The paid version has a customisable toolbar and both have the option to use ribbon or old school toolbars, which I too prefer. It's also got great compatibility with MS office,supposedly! Like I said, hardly ever need office apps, so can't really comment much on compatibility. But never had an issue with it, great app! :)
Thanks for your input! Might just check it out. Luckily, I also don't spend much time in Office—which may, of course, be one of the reasons I never get familiar with all the functions, but I remember Office 2003 being so intuitive that I never needed any familiarity in the first place, everything was always where I'd expect it from day one.

I also spun up a Nextcloud instance with Collabora Office recently and that seems to work just fine as well for basic usage.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:28 pm Thanks for your input! Might just check it out. Luckily, I also don't spend much time in Office—which may, of course, be one of the reasons I never get familiar with all the functions, but I remember Office 2003 being so intuitive that I never needed any familiarity in the first place, everything was always where I'd expect it from day one.

I also spun up a Nextcloud instance with Collabora Office recently and that seems to work just fine as well for basic usage.
If you are keen to Office 2003, you might actually like LibreOffice. I have ditched MS Office fee years ago and it was a good decision. For me it is more precise, more intuitive, and faster.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I've tried libre office many times, but found it a bit complex and takes ages to load, might just be the PortableApps version though. I only use portable apps, try not to install anything if I can.
Dex

Post by Dex »

Active Colors wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:31 pm If you are keen to Office 2003, you might actually like LibreOffice. I have ditched MS Office fee years ago and it was a good decision. For me it is more precise, more intuitive, and faster.
Actually, I do have it installed and often use Calc as an Excel replacement, since it has the usual Microsoft problem of thinking for its users. Since I have a brain of my own, I naturally don't want my software to think for me. More especially so, since it's not very good at it.

Since I often have to export and import stuff via CSV, Excel continuously decides to reformat my entries, changes dates to numbers, reads ANSI as ASCII etc., all the things I never asked for. At the same time, they cut away functions that would remedy that situation or put it behind layers upon layers of menus. Calc instead just lets me go about my business and doesn't constantly interfere.

Unfortunately, LibreOffice is Java and I have a severe allergy to the language and the look and feel it produces. It may run anywhere, but it also looks completely out of place anywhere. :vomit:
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:35 pm I've tried libre office many times, but found it a bit complex and takes ages to load, might just be the PortableApps version though. I only use portable apps, try not to install anything if I can.
There’s no official portable version. The “portable” version is done by some other platform. It seems like portable but what it might do is that it unpacks the whole gigabyte app upon every launch. Hence the loading speed. I am a fan of portable apps, but not when the app are repacked to look like portable. This also comes with drawbacks that you would have to trust this platform and it could also run on background when you use the main app.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:40 pm Since I have a brain of my own, I naturally don't want my software to think for me. More especially so, since it's not very good at it.
I liked that! :thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:08 pmIf that ever becomes mandatory, I'm out for good anyway.
Wait for the so called AI in such products, I bet they're gonna get "creative" and find ways to train it for their (besides sometimes our) purposes... :sly:
Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:40 pmSince I have a brain of my own, I naturally don't want my software to think for me.
I have a severe allergy to the language and the look and feel it produces.
^ This ^ :thumbup: Not many of us "kindred spirits" remain though, most folks are happy with what they get, they go with the fashion and novelty. As long as they have their basics and some bells and whistles, who cares where they would end up at. The rest are slowly silenced to the point where others look surprised at them for stating or wanting the obvious normality.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Active Colors wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:44 pm There’s no official portable version. The “portable” version is done by some other platform. It seems like portable but what it might do is that it unpacks the whole gigabyte app upon every launch. Hence the loading speed. I am a fan of portable apps, but not when the app are repacked to look like portable. This also comes with drawbacks that you would have to trust this platform and it could also run on background when you use the main app.
I know, it's packed by PortableApps.com. I've been using their apps for many years. Firefox and Thunderbird are two I can't get away from. I tried moving 100% to SyMenu as it allows you to add your own apps to update and even adjust paths so the apps don't lleave stuff behind on the host PC. And recently, I had a go at updating the source code for winPenPack's X-Launcher to x64. Which was a hassle for me lol but I got it working with help. That thing has got to be one of the best programs ever made imho. :D