It is currently September 8th, 2024, 2:43 am

Stopped Displaying Temperature

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
steveorino

Re: Stopped Displaying Temperature

Post by steveorino »

Both my windows 10 PC and my laptop windows 11 no longer access weather Data for any Rainmeter Weather Skin I load. None of the solutions found at these posts change that. I recently installed windows updates, but not remembering if weather skins worked prior to the updates. I think Microsoft doesn't like widgets that access this type of data but cannot confirm. I think I will change my DNS to see if that makes any difference. I'm currently getting internet through Spectrum. EDIT: Changing DNS to google DNS didn't help. Turned my VPN, didn't help.
Last edited by steveorino on May 20th, 2024, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

steveorino wrote: May 20th, 2024, 10:42 pm Both my windows 10 PC and my laptop windows 11 no longer access weather Data for any Rainmeter Weather Skin I load. None of the solutions found at these posts change that. I recently installed windows updates, but remembering if weather skins worked prior to the updates. I think Microsoft doesn't like widgets that access this type of data but cannot confirm. I think I will change my DNS to see if that makes any difference. I'm currently getting internet through Spectrum.
This issue has nothing to do with Microsoft Updates, and certainly nothing to do with Microsoft not liking "widgets that access this type of data" since Rainmeter has nothing to do with the MS widget platform.

Try the demo Weather.com skin here: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=34734. This skin has the latest code. If it does not work, perhaps weather.com has temporarily banned your IP address if you have been hammering the site with requests. Post the Rainmeter log if needed.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
steveorino

Post by steveorino »

OK so your Weather.com skin works for me. I noticed the location coordinates were in a Variable file so I entered my home coordinates and that works. Tried to do the same thing on one of my skins that didn't work, opened the Resources folder, and tried to enter my home coordinates (that skin was using location codes which don't work anymore, so I added a line (I think) for the coordinates, refreshed, and unloaded and loaded again, but that didn't work. So not sure what, if anything, I'm doing wrong, but enough for today. I'll be using the Weather.com skin you sent me. Maybe tomorrow I will look at my other weather skins (that stopped working) and see if I can find a Variable file that uses coordinates instead of location codes, and try again.
I didn't think my vpn or DNS was going to fix it, but it didnt hurt to try. I did find an old "gadget" online that Microsoft doesn't recommend but I used it anyway to put a weather Gadget my screen, and windows also has a bunch of widgets which do somewhat the same thing. I've turned both those off. Your skin is fine, but I want to find something more simple. Just the TemP and nothing else that takes up less space on my desktop.

Thanks for your help on this.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

bhs67 wrote: May 20th, 2024, 4:40 pmYincognito --- Thanks for the recommendation!
You're welcome, glad it worked. Sorry for the delay in responding, been a bit busy these two days, but thankfully, the other folks helped you out successfully. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth