It is currently September 7th, 2024, 11:30 pm

Skin behind taskbar

General topics related to Rainmeter.
sl23

Re: Skin behind taskbar

Post by sl23 »

Really? Seems everyone has a different experience. Suppose that's inevitable due to the massive range of hardware available. :o
57686174 77696C6C 6265 77696C6C 6265
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: July 2nd, 2024, 7:50 pm It appears to be more buggy and restrictive than its predecessor
Doesn't seem this way at all. For long time I was reluctant as well, but since in meantime I switched, I don't regret at all. Additionally after a while you'll have to switch, I think, there will be no other option.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: July 2nd, 2024, 8:07 pm Doesn't seem this way at all. For long time I was reluctant as well, but since in meantime I switched, I don't regret at all. Additionally after a while you'll have to switch, I think, there will be no other option.
Might be, after all, I didn't actually install it yet to see in detail. But then, that's how I went with other versions too, adopted them after half of their lifespan passed, when most bugs and inconveniences were already sorted out, and it probably saved me of a lot of hassle. I'm not one to jump into something just because it's new and fashionable. I might try Win 11 in a similar way, it's just that my Win 10 is still stubbornly working like day one, so there isn't yet enough motivation to jump into the Win 11 boat. Thanks for letting me know of your positive experience, it'll certainly matter when the time to decide will come. :)
There are always options - even refusal is one of them. :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: July 2nd, 2024, 8:27 pm Thanks for letting me know of your positive experience,
My experience with Windows 11 is definitely positive. I like it, but this is just my opinion. Obviously many may agree, while many other may disagree.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

balala wrote: July 2nd, 2024, 8:55 pm My experience with Windows 11 is definitely positive. I like it, but this is just my opinion. Obviously many may agree, while many other may disagree.
Mine too. But it could be due to having purchased a Win11 PC rather than upgrading a current one. That may be why people have issues?
Dex

Post by Dex »

For me, Windows 11 is basically Windows 10 with a different skin. I'm not aware of any fundamental changes, really. It needs more RAM than Windows 10, may nag about missing TPM, offers Direct Storage for gaming and lets you run Android apps. None of those things concern me personally.

Most settings are cumbersome to reach because they made a few more steps moving away from the good old Control Panel, but then again, it's usually not something I have to deal with every day.

What really irritated me is, that they completely nuked the taskbar widgets, or whatever they're called. Thus, I wasn't able to use my beloved NetSpeedMonitor any longer. :twisted:
03-07-2024_18-36-34.jpg
After all, I did find an alternative (TrafficMonitor), but it doesn't align properly on one of my computers.

Other than that, it doesn't really seem more or less buggy than its predecessor, and I think you should generally be fine with either one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 4:50 pm basically Windows 10 with a different skin
Hence my "superficial new features" mention.
Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 4:50 pm and lets you run Android apps
That's actually nice to have, though it would be better to not be reliant on Amazon App Store like some reviews suggest.
Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 4:50 pm Most settings are cumbersome to reach
they completely nuked the taskbar widgets
Hence my "restrictive" mention. There are others too, related to the lower level of control given to the user, as far as I could see online.
Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 4:50 pm doesn't really seem more or less buggy than its predecessor
Probably reached maturity already, but there were quite a few issues in the early stages, and that didn't inspire confidence, also considering the nature of the few benefits after installing it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with it, it's very useful to know. Looks like it eventually became more stable than in the beginning. Apart from stability which seems to be sorted out lately, the user control area and the fewer choices provided is probably the biggest potential issue for me as a power user. They seem to have no problem reducing / taking away from that area for all kinds of security and whatnot reasons / excuses, while there's no problem adding to the commercially and privacy related bloatware that "normal" folks don't particularily look for...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Yincognito wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 5:21 pmThey seem to have no problem reducing / taking away from that area for all kinds of security and whatnot reasons / excuses, while there's no problem adding to the commercially and privacy related bloatware that "normal" folks don't particularily look for...
It's all in the name of progress! :vomit:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 4:09 pm Mine too. But it could be due to having purchased a Win11 PC rather than upgrading a current one. That may be why people have issues?
Not sure. I changed a Windows 10 (not upgraded, but freshly installed Windows 11, after using Windows 10), in the conditions in which in Windows 10 the Microsoft tool told me I can't upgrade, because my computer is not compatible with Windows 11. However, when I did start installing Windows 11 from zero (as said, didn't upgrade the existing Windows 10, which I'd never do), it has been installed. So, there are no such problems, the purchased and freshly installed Windows 11 works very well.
Dex

Post by Dex »

Yincognito wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 5:21 pm Thanks for sharing your experience with it, it's very useful to know. Looks like it eventually became more stable than in the beginning. Apart from stability which seems to be sorted out lately, the user control area and the fewer choices provided is probably the biggest potential issue for me as a power user. They seem to have no problem reducing / taking away from that area for all kinds of security and whatnot reasons / excuses, while there's no problem adding to the commercially and privacy related bloatware that "normal" folks don't particularily look for...
I couldn't agree more, since I consider myself a power user as well. And Microsoft doing away with their QA team hasn't particularly improved the situation for Windows in general, either. Of course, a small shack like Microsoft doesn't have that many resources, right? :D And, obviously, they need all the people they have for spyware development, e.g. Recall. If that ever becomes mandatory, I'm out for good anyway. They snorkel off enough data as it is.

I guess for a "normal" user / office drone, it really doesn't matter, though. Tbh, I still use Windows 10 exclusively for my own customers and will continue to do so as long as licenses are available.
sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 5:39 pm It's all in the name of progress! :vomit:
Yep, change for the sake of change—gotta love it. :headbang:

As an old geezer, I still shudder thinking about the release of Office 2007. I have never been able to get comfortable with Office again, and still need to aimlessly click around the ribbons until (if ever) I find what I'm looking for. Another great fix for something that wasn't broke.