It is currently September 21st, 2024, 3:17 am

Any way to sort my skin library in file explorer?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
CyberScribe

Re: Any way to sort my skin library in file explorer?

Post by CyberScribe »

Yincognito wrote: August 6th, 2024, 10:01 pm You'll have to also correspondingly modify the skin [sections] from that layout to resemble the way you renamed your skins. For example, if you renamed the "Illustro" suite to "Sinistro" and its "Clock" skin to "Deadlock", then you'll have to change the [Illustro\Clock] occurrence in your layout's Rainmeter.ini file to [Sinistro\Deadlock]. The layouts are typically stored as subfolders in the C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Layouts folder, with each subfolder containing a Rainmeter.ini file that can be edited if needed.
Hey, that worked on one of them! Thanks! Problem is, I tried it with another one, Pixcell's Radiante suite, which I have been tinkering with, trying to get it to work with the changes. Problem is, simply changing the config name causes the skin's colors to go from green to white, and some of the text to have # next to them, as well as the drive panels not to work as the options panel not to work, doesn't matter if I change the layout file. I don't know why, though. Might just have to leave skins like that alone, unless you can think of a reason why it does this. I have a screenshot here. https://imgur.com/a/5w3LAkG
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CyberScribe wrote: August 6th, 2024, 10:25 pm Hey, that worked on one of them! Thanks! Problem is, I tried it with another one, Pixcell's Radiante suite, which I have been tinkering with, trying to get it to work with the changes. Problem is, simply changing the config name causes the skin's colors to go from green to white, and some of the text to have # next to them, as well as the drive panels not to work as the options panel not to work, doesn't matter if I change the layout file. I don't know why, though. Might just have to leave skins like that alone, unless you can think of a reason why it does this. I have a screenshot here. https://imgur.com/a/5w3LAkG
The reason why is easy to deduct, since the reference to the value of a #variable# in Rainmeter is typically enclosed by # symbols. Therefore, what you experience basically means that the skin cannot get the values of the variables it uses, so the literal reference to the value of that variable (similar to the example above) is used / displayed instead (e.g. #Disco#, #Drive1#, etc).

As for the solution to this, it is indeed a bit more complicated and requires more time and effort to implement. A config / skin can declare and store the variables it uses either in its own .ini file, or in other .inc files that are "embedded" into that .ini by using @include...=<pathtotheincfile> options:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/include-option/
The problem with this suite is that, unlike most suites / skins that are perfectly "portable" by referring to various such .inc file paths exclusively using generic / system independent built-in variables:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/variables/built-in-variables/
this suite resorts to referring to such paths using the literal "Radiante" name, which will obviously not work if you rename the suite's folder and such. For example, in the Disco 1.ini file, you have:

Code: Select all

@include=#SKINSPATH#Radiante\variables.inc
instead of the generic / portable / correct:

Code: Select all

@include=#ROOTCONFIGPATH#\variables.inc
thus, after renaming, the embedding / @including of variables.inc fails because there's no "Radiante" anymore in the 1st @include above. As a consequence, all variables declared in variables.inc are "missing" their assigned values, being displayed literally as #Drive1# and so on, like explained earlier.

There are many such instances if you look at all the codes in that suite, so it would take a while to correct them all, because what I mentioned was just an example, there are other forms and paths in the same vein, not to mention the author often using his own local paths which would not exist on someone else's computer. One of the main concerns an author should have when releasing his skin publicly should be to ensure it would work on anyone's computer and in any circumstances, which here is not pursued completely, though the suite actually looks nice overall.

As for what you should do in this case, it's up to you. Renaming only the skin packages, making a text file, a table or even an image, saving layouts under the desired names, creating a simple "skin list" skin to use as a "helper", there are many creative ways to do what you want, but obviously you need to choose the most suited / comfortable one.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CyberScribe wrote: August 6th, 2024, 9:10 pm So I tried to rename one of the configs, put launcher at the end so I knew what kind of skin it was, but when i tried to load its layout nothing happens. When I changed it back the layout load worked. How can I get the layout loading to work while also being able to sort these skins?
Besides Yincognito's recommendation I propose another approach:
  • Load the desired layout.
  • Rename the configs as you want.
  • Refresh all in Rainmeter.
  • Open the Layout tab in Manage Rainmeter (for this click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area).
  • On right side click the previously loaded layout.
  • Delete this layout.
  • On the left side of the Manage Rainmeter dialog enter in the Name field the same name as the previously deleted layout. Click Save.
This way you recreate the layout with the same name, but this one will work with the renamed configs (however note that doesn't work with the not-renamed configs).