It is currently September 14th, 2024, 9:51 pm

Taskbar Skins Layout

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
sl23

Re: Taskbar Skins Layout

Post by sl23 »

Sorry, yes I meant about the not GETting the volume on load/refresh your end. My end has a different issue altogether! :oops: :rolmfao:
57686174 77696C6C 6265 77696C6C 6265
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Did you by any chance test that 77% issue?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: July 4th, 2024, 8:57 am Did you by any chance test that 77% issue?
Not yet, as, like I said, I very rarely restart my OS since it's not needed. It's good that you reminded me of it now, I'll do the test when I get on my laptop today. Just to be certain though, what are the exact steps to reproduce the issue on your end?
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ok thank you. :thumbup:

For me, it's when I plug my Mic in:
Plug in Mic.
Set Mic Volume to 80.
Unplug Mic.
Plug Mic back in.

But it doesn't always do it, I'd say on average, about 30-40% of the time. I'm wondering if it's a kind of 'power-surge' type thing? You know, where the act of plugging in causes a spike or something? I also haven't tested to see if it does this at different volumes. I'll try that now.

EDIT: Strange. I put my PC into hibernation last night, with Mic plugged in. I've just hovered over the Mic value, which showed 80, but when I scrolled to check if it does this at other volumes, it changed to 57! Very odd.

Just tested at 50, plugged/unplugged around 15 times, no change, repeated at 30, after 4-5 times it changed to 31. Looks like this will be a constant pita! Unless I setup a load of substitution bangs to monitor and keep adjusting if it strays, it's just going to keep happening. Oh balls! :thumbdown:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: July 4th, 2024, 10:51 amFor me, it's when I plug my Mic in:
Plug in Mic.
Set Mic Volume to 80.
Unplug Mic.
Plug Mic back in.
Alright, but where does the restart occurs in your steps, at the end? By the way, I will test this with one or two restarts only, can't spend the whole day waiting for the issue to happen if it doesn't do it in those couple attempts. :D

EDIT: Alright, I tested a couple of times, with the skin loaded and alternatively reloading / refreshing it, without the restart and with the restart at different points through the steps above, and your issue didn't happen for me at all. The volume stayed at 80% as set from the skin, in every attempt that I tried. Had to use the Control Panel > Sound to (double-) check the mic volume, since, as I already stated, your skin (Launcher5.ini) displays the mic volume as 0 on load or refresh for me. I know my variant for this is jittery for you or resets at 0 occasionally, but if you want to find out if the problem is your code or something else, you can try again my code that you linked on the 1st page of this thread and see if the 80% to 77% issue happens in that skin too, after a restart or mic unplug / plug cycle. It doesn't really matter for the potential test, but I updated my code to work with multiple mics, more details on the page you linked to. By the way, if it happens there too, it might be related to that skin having the volume occasionally reset to 0, and might be a defect / particularity of how your USB mic works. Neither of my mics are USB ones, since the headphone mic is attached to the headphone and the headphone connects via a typical audio jack to my laptop, so I can't help you in that regard.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thanks for testing. Will check tomorrow. Been out all day today.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I didn't restart, no need to to repeat the issue. It does it just when unplugging/plugging in.

I'll test your skin when I get more time, probably not til next week now.

My Mic is a Shure one, can't remember the model, but it's actually an XLR connection. I bought a converter lead to USB which works well, no problems with that, just weird how it jumps in volume when plugged in!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: July 5th, 2024, 11:36 am I didn't restart, no need to to repeat the issue. It does it just when unplugging/plugging in.

I'll test your skin when I get more time, probably not til next week now.

My Mic is a Shure one, can't remember the model, but it's actually an XLR connection. I bought a converter lead to USB which works well, no problems with that, just weird how it jumps in volume when plugged in!
I see. Well, when I bought my headphones, I intentionally avoided the wireless / bluetooth / USB ones precisely because of somewhat similar reports here on the forum. If I reckon correctly, there were more about the delay with the bluetooth ones, but it was enough for me to go with the tried and tested classic choice of audio jack connection.

By the way, this is what I found after searching for "XLR USB microphone volume reset change" on Google, and there are other findings that might help or at least give you an indication of why this happens (e.g. some from superuser.com):
https://youtube.com/watch?v=lc4QiX35gbk
Pay close attention of what the guy says in the video. It's not a solution, but rather a confirmation. Up to you to dig further into it, maybe you'll get lucky. ;-)
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Appreciate that, thanks.
I have had hard time finding connectors for PC. Don't want loads of cables and adapters. Just want xlr to 3.5mm jack originally, but amazon UK didn't have any when I looked a year ago. I'll try again and see if I can get one, that may be the answer.
:)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: July 5th, 2024, 1:50 pm Appreciate that, thanks.
I have had hard time finding connectors for PC. Don't want loads of cables and adapters. Just want xlr to 3.5mm jack originally, but amazon UK didn't have any when I looked a year ago. I'll try again and see if I can get one, that may be the answer.
:)
Ideally, you should identify where the issue comes from for sure, because what I mentioned are, after all, just guesses. So that you don't spend money for nothing. ;-)