jsmorley
Developer

Re: get info from web tutorial?

Post by jsmorley »

Ah sorry, right. I am also blind...
Zaragan

Post by Zaragan »

jsmorley wrote:Ah sorry, right. I am also blind...
We all are blind, thank god there are a lot eyes on this community :rolmfao: at least one of us can see something
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

To elaborate on DynamicWindowSize=1 a bit:

When a measure is a "threaded" one, like WebParser, FileView, RunCommand or NowPlaying for instance, they don't wait for information to be returned by the plugin before allowing the skin to continue. They go off in a separate thread and do their thing, and populate the child measures as soon as they are done. We don't want something that can take some time, like getting data from a remote website, or examining a folder tree full of thousands of files, to "block" Rainmeter while it works, so that is why they are "threaded".

So on the first skin update, the value of all those child measures will be "" or an empty string.

Your meter will then cheerfully display "" on the first update, and set a width and height of basically zero. The skin will use this to create the overall skin "window".

While a meter will dynamically change size when the value changes, by default the overall skin will NOT. DynamicWindowSize tells it to revisit this on every skin Update.

If you don't set DynamicWindowSize=1 on the skin, on the second or third update, when the values have been set, the skin won't adjust the width or height for the new size of the value. So your string can be truncated, basically just won't show at all.

I personally find that it is a good habit to use:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

on all skins. That way I just do that automatically, and don't have to think about it.