It is currently September 29th, 2024, 5:33 pm

Startup time on windows 8.

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Brian
Developer

Re: Startup time on windows 8.

Post by Brian »

kev360 wrote:Yes, this is when I restart my computer that Rainmeter starts instantly, also I have a SSD it may be help.
An SSD could help with this, but I do not have a spare one to test with.
Seahorse wrote:Remind me what Windows 8 is supposed to improve on PCs exactly?
If you search around the internet, you can find a few "lists" that detail the changes in Windows 8. However, since Windows 8 is not released yet, there could be more changes than what is advertised.

From what I have seen so far, I really like the new Task Manager. The boot time is really fast (and I am not even on a SSD). The hardware requirements to run Windows 8 is supposed to be lower than with Windows 7 (meaning it will run on older hardware). Windows 8 is supposed to use less resources as well.

Surprisingly, I am liking the start screen (or "metro") a lot more than I thought I would, although I use the "desktop mode" almost all the time. I am also liking the new "taskbars" when the mouse is in the corners of the screen (they aren't really taskbars, but I do not know what to call them). I haven't yet fully explored everything yet.

There is only two things I really dislike with Windows 8. No start menu button, and there is no "easy" way to restart/shutdown. With any version before 8, it only took 2 (or 3) clicks to restart or shutdown. With Windows 8, it takes 5 or 6 clicks. You have go to the "start screen", then click your username, then click logoff, then click anywhere on the logon screen, click on the "power" icon, then select either shutdown or restart, etc. That is a hassle. I know the overall purpose with Windows 8 is not have to restart/shutdown very often, but still, if you have to, it is difficult.

-Brian
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

jsmorley wrote: Don't be a Luddite... ;-)
As if :o

I am at the front of the queue for shiny new toys with buttons on them, preferably with a blue LED. I have played with every Windows release and found merit in all of them and moved onto the next one via betas and then the full releases. Having tinkered with Win 8, I think I may have found a reason to stay with 7.

I am not alone in asking this question, so I don't feel bad asking it. I don't think hiding commands or making my PC look like a phone OS that doesn't sell is the right direction.

In all seriousness, I really don't feel the need for a pad in my life, which seems to be where MS is aiming this OS at, which makes it feel like my PC is being offered an ill fitting set of clothes... :oops:
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Unless Windows 8 can run on a 2.8GHz single core with 1gig of ram I have no use for it currently.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

You might be in luck, but of course anything can change before its really released.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-hardware-system-requirements,14847.html

-Brian
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Brian wrote:... and there is no "easy" way to restart/shutdown. With any version before 8, it only took 2 (or 3) clicks to restart or shutdown. With Windows 8, it takes 5 or 6 clicks. You have go to the "start screen", then click your username, then click logoff, then click anywhere on the logon screen, click on the "power" icon, then select either shutdown or restart, etc. That is a hassle. I know the overall purpose with Windows 8 is not have to restart/shutdown very often, but still, if you have to, it is difficult.
An easier way: Move mouse to the top-right (or bottom-right) corner to activate charms bar → Click on the Settings charm → Power → Shutdown (3 clicks, so not too bad). Or, if you are a prefer the keyboard like me, you can use WIN+I to access the Settings charm. I find CTRL+ALT+DEL → Shutdown icon to be the fastest for me :)

I think this will work well once I get used to it. It's a little harder to access, but I kinda appreciate that as I accidentally click on the Shut down button in the Windows 7 Start menu from time to time :oops:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This site has been posting nice tips and tricks for Windows 8

AddictiveTips.com
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

poiru wrote: An easier way: Move mouse to the top-right (or bottom-right) corner to activate charms bar → Click on the Settings charm → Power → Shutdown (3 clicks, so not too bad). Or, if you are a prefer the keyboard like me, you can use WIN+I to access the Settings charm. I find CTRL+ALT+DEL → Shutdown icon to be the fastest for me :)

I think this will work well once I get used to it. It's a little harder to access, but I kinda appreciate that as I accidentally click on the Shut down button in the Windows 7 Start menu from time to time :oops:
There is a one button version - press your PC's power button.
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

Seahorse wrote: There is a one button version - press your PC's power button.
...Just drag the power cord off the socket with your foot when leaving the desk. No buttons!
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

The dog can do the later already... :o
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

poiru wrote:An easier way: Move mouse to the top-right (or bottom-right) corner to activate charms bar → Click on the Settings charm → Power → Shutdown (3 clicks, so not too bad). Or, if you are a prefer the keyboard like me, you can use WIN+I to access the Settings charm. I find CTRL+ALT+DEL → Shutdown icon to be the fastest for me :)

Oh yeah, I must of missed that. A little easier that the method I posted. ;-)

-Brian