It is currently September 29th, 2024, 7:37 pm

Some Interesting Issues with DynamicVariables & !SetOption

General topics related to Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Some Interesting Issues with DynamicVariables & !SetOpti

Post by jsmorley »

You need to look carefully at your code and make sure you don't have some copy / paste typo that is causing more than one measure to act on the same meter(s) or something else we can't see with just little snippets of your code. This works just fine for me:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=200

[Variables]
Proc1=Notepad.exe

[MeterApp1]
Meter=Image
X=4r
Y=4r
W=32
H=32
ImageName=#@#Images\Notepad.png
ImageAlpha=210
MouseOverAction=!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# ImageAlpha 255
MouseLeaveAction=!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# ImageAlpha 210
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute ["#App1#"]

[MeasurePID1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Process.dll
ProcessName=#Proc1#
IfBelowValue=1
IfBelowAction=[!SetOption MeterApp1 GreyScale 1]
IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=[!SetOption MeterApp1 GreyScale 0]
Asagrim

Post by Asagrim »

Well, i'm at the point of giving up, there are only 3 occurrences of MeterApp1 in the entire ini file, the meter itself, and the references to it in the IfActions and nothing touches the measure defining those IfActions either, so there is absolutely nothing, causing the If statements to suddenly change the next update. Besides whatever code i use at the IfActions it just simply works except the !SetOption.

I have saved the following code as a separate ini file, and the issue i have which is shown in the linked youtube video above with the main skin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kks87sHG4wk) still persists.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=200

[Variables]
Img1=CCLeaner.png
App1=C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe
Proc1=CCleaner64.exe
IconTint=255,255,255,190

[MeterApp1]
Meter=Image
X=4r
Y=4r
W=32
H=32
ImageName=Icons\#Img1#
ImageAlpha=210
ImageTint=#IconTint#
MouseOverAction=!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# ImageAlpha 255
MouseLeaveAction=!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# ImageAlpha 210
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute ["#App1#"]

[MeasurePID1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Process.dll
ProcessName=#Proc1#
IfBelowValue=1
IfBelowAction=[!SetOption MeterApp1 GreyScale 1]
IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=[!SetOption MeterApp1 GreyScale 0]
I click the greyscale icon, it becomes colored as the program starts, the next update cycle it's greyscale again. In the meanwhile i also installed the most recent 2.5 version of Rainmeter, and the issue persists.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Now I'm seeing it as well. It seems to be specific to "some" applications and not others when the the process plugin watches the instance.

Are you by chance running on Windows 8? I did not see this issue ever on Window 7, so I'm trying to narrow it down.

I have a feeling it is related to applications that ask for "administrator" security when they run, so things like CCLeaner and Autoruns and some others seem to fail, while others like Notepad and Calc don't.

Edit: Yep. There is a known issue with Process.dll (it's in the manual) and applications that are started with, or are granted "administrator" security, when Rainmeter is run without administrator security and UAC is turned on.

I think this issue is exacerbated in Windows 8 due to some changes in how security is handled.

I was able to solve the issue by running Rainmeter with "Run as Administrator". We will look into this further.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This issue will be corrected in the next beta release.
Asagrim

Post by Asagrim »

jsmorley wrote:This issue will be corrected in the next beta release.
Thank you very much for your patience!

It is indeed an issue with Windows 8 and running Rainmeter in normal mode on it, instead as administrator, regardless of UAC settings, which are turned off for me (conflicts with too many programs under Windows 8).

NowPlaying.dll doesn't work at all if Rainmeter is not started as administrator under Windows 8.

Running Rainmeter as administrator solves every issue i have, but there is a problem with it. About half the time i try running Rainmeter as administrator on Windows 8, i end up with an error message stating that the initialization process encountered a stub.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The issue I am talking about, which has been fixed in the latest Rainmeter beta, is limited to the issue of the Process plugin not being able to "see" processes which have a higher security level than Rainmeter itself.

As to the other issues you mention, like NowPlaying not being functional unless you run Rainmeter as Administrator, that is strange. Assuming the account you are using when starting Rainmeter is an "administrator" in Windows, there should be no issues with security and Rainmeter. There is something odd about your setup or user account that must be causing this.
Asagrim

Post by Asagrim »

jsmorley wrote:There is something odd about your setup or user account that must be causing this.
I indeed have a lot more privilege issues than i used to have in Windows 7 even with UAC turned off, but there are only two programs i constantly need to run as administrator in order to get unrestricted functions, Rainmeter and Winamp (only because of a 12 year old DSP plugin that can't get registry access otherwise).