It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:37 pm

New UniqueRandom option

Changes made during the Rainmeter 3.0 beta cycle.
jsmorley
Developer

New UniqueRandom option

Post by jsmorley »

Added a new UniqueRandom option. If set to 1, any Calc measure using the random constant and UpdateRandom will not repeat until all values between and including LowBound and HighBound have been used. Note that any dynamic change to LowBound or HighBound will reset the tracking of values.

Sample skin to demonstrate:
RandomFileImage_1.1.rmskin
8-18-2013 10-57-43 AM.jpg
This is really nice when used with something like that sample skin to show random images from a folder without repeating them, but would not be appropriate when used in a skin that for instance rolled dice, where you want the "true" random function that statistically will repeat and should...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iNjUST

Re: New UniqueRandom option

Post by iNjUST »

Neato! I came up with a novel use for it already: http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16321
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

What is the minimum revision version (r?) to use this feature?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote:What is the minimum revision version (r?) to use this feature?
The most recent beta from http://rainmeter.net. If you are going to use the beta at all, and not the "release" version, you need to stay current.

This was added in r2081, but I'm not sure I understand the point of the question.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yes, this was my question. Because I'm using r1950, and tried to use the UniqueRandom, but had no succes. After more try, I realised that maybe the used version is to old and I have to update.
Thank you.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote:Yes, this was my question. Because I'm using r1950, and tried to use the UniqueRandom, but had no succes. After more try, I realised that maybe the used version is to old and I have to update.
Thank you.
Glad to help. I am just really opposed to anyone using the beta, and staying on one that was created on 09-Jun-2013 until now.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yes, you're right, I will update now. I don't install every new release.
rupture

Post by rupture »

got a question about this. why is it when i load this config do i have to wait whatever SecondsBetween is set to before an image shows?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

rupture wrote:got a question about this. why is it when i load this config do i have to wait whatever SecondsBetween is set to before an image shows?
You don't. What you do have to wait for when you first load the skin is for FileView to read the entire folder(s) that you are using for your images. It is possible that if there are a huge number of files and / or folders that have to be collected by FileView, there could be a pretty decent delay until it is done and starts displaying images.
rupture

Post by rupture »

actually there's only 5 files in the folder and if i lower the SecondsBetween the images show faster when i load it up.