It is currently April 28th, 2024, 12:23 pm

Topic Posting Buttons

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
redblack

Topic Posting Buttons

Post by redblack »

Now that it's out that I'm a forum virgin, I might as well ask some other questions :]

Has anyone ever noticed that the buttons above the New Post text box are grouped . . kinda weirdly. Like, the text formatting buttons are in several different places instead of grouped together in a logical order etc. . . . and to be honest, I still don't understand the different List buttons or the [*] button :[

I'd be happy to suggest a more intuitive order/group if it's appropiate and/or easy to change?

Could the more vague options (to me anyway) possibly have a more descriptive text label perhaps??

Just a suggestion :]
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Topic Posting Buttons

Post by jsmorley »

redblack wrote:Now that it's out that I'm a forum virgin, I might as well ask some other questions :]

Has anyone ever noticed that the buttons above the New Post text box are grouped . . kinda weirdly. Like, the text formatting buttons are in several different places instead of grouped together in a logical order etc. . . . and to be honest, I still don't understand the different List buttons or the [*] button :[

I'd be happy to suggest a more intuitive order/group if it's appropiate and/or easy to change?

Could the more vague options (to me anyway) possibly have a more descriptive text label perhaps??

Just a suggestion :]
If you hover over any of the buttons you get a fuller description. That is sufficient.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Lists go inside list tags and the [*] tag is placed before each item of the list:

Code: Select all

[list]This is a list!
[*] This is the first item
[*]This is another item
[*] etc...
[/list]
That code produces this:
  • This is a list!
  • This is the first item
  • This is another item
  • etc...
If you use
  • instead of
    • , you get an ordered list. You can use
      1. for a numbered list, or
        1. or
          1. for lower- and uppercase ordered lists.
ImageImageImageImage
redblack

Post by redblack »

Thanks guys, that's awesome !!

The button order is still random as :| The standard text formatting options are in 3 4 different places!? But that's just me showing my OCD :]
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

No Distress friend

we all started somewhere :D
iUnify

Post by iUnify »

I have a question though... why aren't changes made to the Rainmeter website...

It would make sense to group the buttons together. I had suggested making a page on RM.net that puts all of the add-ons, 3rd party extras, etc. together in once place, along with the links to other sites that feature RM stuff... rather than having all this information spread apart in to apparant order throughout the forum.

These types of changes as well as others that I am sure members of this site are well qualified to think up and vote on or ultimately be determined by whomever would truly benefit the community and be detrimental to new members. Maybe the correct word is priceless... it's not like RM's future of existing depends on the betterment of the site and it's contents but it is like changing and bettering the site will bring in new members, interest MANY others who otherwise would be turned off by the unorganizable and overwhelming feeling of "I love this but I can't figure this out or do this" AND extend the community to be hosted on other websites and gain respect form other places on the Internet thereby again, bringing in more members. More people overall would hear about the site. ;)

I guess I just feel like most people aren't interested in changing the site as they are satisfied with the way that it is. Maybe because it's "good enough"? I don't know why. But it can always be better... and if people are offering help for free to better the site- why turn it down? :?

All of this would have to be done in an organized way of corse... but damn. . . there are really some things that in my opinion need to be changed and can easily be changed. :|

So, what's the hold up y'all? :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I would suggest that this is not a website, but a forum. It is a message board. That is the software we are running and really the only way it can be organized without changing it so much that we destroy any possibility of upgrading to newer versions of phpbb.

iUnify, as I said in one of the other six places you have posted about addons today, we HAVE a perfect place for that on RainWiki. That software, as opposed to this, is designed to be a repository of information in a way that is organized and searchable.

Your idea for a place to have links and descriptions of all available addons is a good one. Make no mistake. A message board like phpbb isn't the place for it, but there is also no need to re-invent the wheel. We went to a lot of time and trouble to set up RainWiki for just these kinds of things.