It is currently April 28th, 2024, 3:45 pm

Gradient tint?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
CybOrSpasm

Gradient tint?

Post by CybOrSpasm »

The same as we are able to define gradients for solid colors? Or REALLY make some eyecandy, and allow multiple color gradient and tints, i.e 3-4 or more colors!?
JoBu

Re: Gradient tint?

Post by JoBu »

Easy enough to just use a graphic... I don't know how/why you'd need this encoded into RM - unless you want some kind of animated gradient slide - but even then you could still use a graphic.
CybOrSpasm

Post by CybOrSpasm »

Use a graphic as a tint? How do you do that?!?
And yes, I am talking about things like bar meters that can go from green-yellow-red for example. It would allow people to choose the colors they want in order to coordinate with their color schemes without having to use own/use photoshop to change everything. Like the image linked, the bar on the left is what I make in photoshop, the middle is with the gradient we have available to us now, the bar on the right, is what we could do just with rainmeter alone if we have a multi-color gradient tint...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UnforgivenRevival

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

You can use an image for a bar. Something that goes Green>Yellow>Red as an image, Linked to the bar, will have that gradient effect like you are talking about. Yes it would be nice to do this inside of Rainmeter itself, But this is the only option to do this at this point.

Edit: Worst case, If you wanted to add that bubble like style to something like that, You can use barimage= for that too, so it expands along with the level of the bar.

http://rainmeter.net/cms/Meters-Bar_beta

Example image(Sorry for size, Dont know how to resize an uploaded image):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CybOrSpasm

Post by CybOrSpasm »

Yes, I know how to make graphics in photoshop...
And that is the whole reason I posted this as a suggestion for new features in Rainmeter... So that if a person wished to change the color scheme of a skin they downloaded, they can do it by changing a few variables in the ini, not fire up Photoshop and create create all new graphics for it...
UnforgivenRevival

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

I personally feel better off making graphics or editing existing graphics in photoshop, inkscape or gimp. you have more freedom in creating things to your taste, without being limited at all. Plus, If you started out with a green>yellow>red image that came with a skin, It would be complicated trying to get a working gradient with the original color.

Say you were trying to convert the green>yellow>red image to something like blue>purple>orange. you would have to use a different tint to work with the existing image underneath rather than simply changing the colors to 0,255,0,160>255,255,0,160>255,0,255,160.

Its like mixing colors on a palette.

You would have to find the corresponding mix to make it that color, which could be kind of complicated.

Also, What if the original picture has some other kind of "shadow effect" or "glare" added to it? that would also be altered in the tinting making undesirable effects.

Basically, Its best just to edit it yourself in a different program rather than trying to do it in Rainmeter. Im not disagreeing that in simple cases yes this would be handy. but for moderate to complicated stuff, It wouldnt help at all.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

CybOrSpasm wrote:Yes, I know how to make graphics in photoshop...
And that is the whole reason I posted this as a suggestion for new features in Rainmeter... So that if a person wished to change the color scheme of a skin they downloaded, they can do it by changing a few variables in the ini, not fire up Photoshop and create create all new graphics for it...
Most of your suggestions are already possible to some degree in Rainmeter (2 color gradients, but not 3 or 4 colors...)

Using a modified (more transparent) version of your graphic, I put together a skin to show how the same meter can be modified by switching color variables; it measures CPU. This skin also changes the active barcolor by using the cpu measure in the color computation.

Even more powerful, but also more involved, is the ColorMatrix that can do what I have done and much more...