It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:34 pm

wait for doubleclick

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Alex Becherer

wait for doubleclick

Post by Alex Becherer »

right now when i have both

LeftMouseUpAction=...
LeftMouseDoubleClickAction=...

set in a meter, a double click executes both actions.

using 2.4.0 beta r1598 64-bit and Windows 7 SP 1

but if i remember correctly it has always been that way, i just never complained about it.
Mordasius

Re: wait for doubleclick

Post by Mordasius »

I think I might start complaining if my LeftMouseUpAction= was delayed because Rainmeter was waiting for the Windows Double-Click time to pass before deciding if it was dealing with a single or double click. :)

Just out of interest, what sort of use were you making of a meter that had both single and double-click actions?
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

true. i did not think about that.
in my scenario the normal click was opening a file, so a little delay was to expect anyways.

but what is the point of have double-click actions at all, if you can not use them together with single-clicks?
another thing is: the context menu does not work when you have a RightMouseDoubleClickAction set.

actually having both single- and double-clicks might be interesting on a touch screen that can not distinguish wether you are tapping with your right or left hand.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I think in the context of Rainmeter the only real purpose of LeftMouseDoubleClickAction is to protect against "accidental" clicks if you wanted to build that into your design for some reason, or perhaps to make an element "act like a shortcut" when it is designed to look like one, although I don't see any good reason to do that honestly.

Rainmeter doesn't have a way to drag a single element in a skin, or select multiple items from some list of items, and since it does not react to the keyboard, highlighting an item so you can hit DEL or CTRL-C isn't relevant. These are the kind of things where in Windows you want to "highlight" an element with a single click, and "execute" it with a double click.

Really the entire concept of "giving focus" to a single meter so you can take some action on it as a second step doesn't exist in Rainmeter.

I think Rainmeter is more like a browser than it is Windows Explorer in this sense. In a browser the concept of double click doesn't even really exist.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

another thing is: the context menu does not work when you have a RightMouseDoubleClickAction set.

actually having both single- and double-clicks might be interesting on a touch screen that can not distinguish wether you are tapping with your right or left hand.
The context menu can be accessed by pressing the Ctrl key and right-click even if an action has been assigned to the right mouse button.

-=-

I agree with your thought on this application when using tablets...

Maybe the developers can look into a way to distinguish double-click versus single-click actions on a mouse button? ;-)

(Returning to "read-only" mode...)
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I really wouldn't mind an option of being able to use single and double click actions on the same meter. I like things with multiple functions. As you are fond of mentioning jsmorley, Rainmeter is not Explorer. Why shouldn't we be able to have an RSS reader where a single click opens a meter to display the body text of the feed and a double click opens the webpage? How about a web image viewer where a single click copies the url to the clipboard and a double click downloads it and sets it as your wallpaper? I could think of tons of uses.

If you assume everyone has a middle mouse button, current rules allow for 1-3 click actions on a single meter, 1-2 if you want to keep the context menu. If double clicks were useable as well you'd have 1-6 options, or 1-5 + context menu. (This of course is if you are using MouseUp actions as single click)

If detecting double clicks could be done on a per skin basis rather than having all of Rainmeter checking for single v/s double click then I would be highly in favor of it. A DetectDoubleClicks= option on meters or even in the [Rainmeter] section would seem appropriate. I doubt it would make much of a difference if the whole of Rainmeter detected double clicks, but I have a fast double click (side effect of a six month addiction to the first Diablo) so I can't speak for everyone.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dragonmage wrote:I really wouldn't mind an option of being able to use single and double click actions on the same meter. I like things with multiple functions. As you are fond of mentioning jsmorley, Rainmeter is not Explorer. Why shouldn't we be able to have an RSS reader where a single click opens a meter to display the body text of the feed and a double click opens the webpage? How about a web image viewer where a single click copies the url to the clipboard and a double click downloads it and sets it as your wallpaper? I could think of tons of uses.

If you assume everyone has a middle mouse button, current rules allow for 1-3 click actions on a single meter, 1-2 if you want to keep the context menu. If double clicks were useable as well you'd have 1-6 options, or 1-5 + context menu. (This of course is if you are using MouseUp actions as single click)

If detecting double clicks could be done on a per skin basis rather than having all of Rainmeter checking for single v/s double click then I would be highly in favor of it. A DetectDoubleClicks= option on meters or even in the [Rainmeter] section would seem appropriate. I doubt it would make much of a difference if the whole of Rainmeter detected double clicks, but I have a fast double click (side effect of a six month addiction to the first Diablo) so I can't speak for everyone.
Yep, I don't think anyone is opposed to doing something more with this, it's a technical challenge and a need to maintain backwards compatibility that has to be addressed carefully. It's on the list of things to look at when the time comes.