It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:31 pm

Looking for a 'RSS Slideshow'

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jahtimes

Looking for a 'RSS Slideshow'

Post by jahtimes »

Hey I use Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7. In Ubuntu, there is a screenlet that I love. It's a slideshow and you can add some RSS feed, so in this slideshow I see the best of Flickr etc...

IS there any plugin like that? I would like it to work with 500px.com that is much better than Flickr IMO.

Thanks !
KreAch3R

Re: Looking for a 'RSS Slideshow'

Post by KreAch3R »

If I understand correctly what you are saying, you want a Slideshow that loads pictures from a RSS feed. If this is true, then yes, you can definitely do that with rainmeter. I think I bumped into similar skins. If you want to do it yourself, you will have to use the Download=1 setting in your Webparser measure. Read the manual and the "Webparser primer" tutorial, and I think they include everything you need.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

You might run into problems because WebParser does not yet support dynamic variables. This means you can't have WebParser download different images by simply changing the url it downloads from. Instead you will have to use !WriteKeyValue and !Refresh to change the image WebParser downloads if you want to change to the next image in your slideshow.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

If the RSS feed is a good formatted one, he shouldn't have that problem. Every item in the feed would have a link to a different image. He would parse all of these in the main Webparser measure, and then add Download=1 to the appropriate secondary webparser measures. He, then, would have a bunch of measures displaying different images.
After that, he could show a lot of meters using different MeasureNames and show/hide them or I would try the latest !SetOption change, that lets you change MeasureNames. Forgive me if what I say is pretty rough, but it's been a while since I made such a skin. But it can definitely be done.

Desktop DeviartArt
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Right. If you have a fixed number of items you can do it that way. Thanks for the tip.

I had a similar use case where the number of items that will be cycled was not known beforehand. In that case you can't create a separate WebParser for each entry. I'm still waiting for WebParser to finally support DynamicVariables so I can get that skin to wok.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
~Faradey~

Post by ~Faradey~ »

MerlinTheRed wrote:Right. If you have a fixed number of items you can do it that way. Thanks for the tip.

I had a similar use case where the number of items that will be cycled was not known beforehand. In that case you can't create a separate WebParser for each entry. I'm still waiting for WebParser to finally support DynamicVariables so I can get that skin to wok.
may be this will somehow help you http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10844

btw. it would be nice to have matching index number in WebParser, so when using "look ahead" regexp and have, let's say 20 in it, but matched number is only 10, so it would be returned may be like StringIndex=0
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

@Merlin: Ah, I see. Maybe the "look ahead" regexp assertions Faradey is talking about would help you with that issue, but I haven't really used them yet, so I can't be sure. Here you can find a jsmorley's post about that.

@Faradey: Why would you need that? As a way to find out how many regexp's are returned?

Desktop DeviartArt
~Faradey~

Post by ~Faradey~ »

Btw i have slideshow skin 3 in 1, which shows best and new from flicker, deviantArt, NG and it has option to change URL in settings. And of course it is in Kotoko Suite :)
KreAch3R wrote:@Faradey: Why would you need that? As a way to find out how many regexp's are returned?
Well, sometimes it needs
For example i have Thumbrl SlideShow skin (you'll see and try it in 4.4 ver) and it has in WebParser RegExp as i said earlier with 20 "look ahead" expressions, thus i expect to have 20 pictures in return, but this skin has option to change URL, and if one page has 20 pics all is good but second one is not and i want to know about it, because skin itself has bunch of functions in lua scripts and they bounded to particular number of pictures (20) and if this number is less lua may fail and as return many errors will be in log. + pictures from first author should not be shown when second has , let's say 17, instead "no pic" pic. It is complicated to explain, sometimes it may needed.
Anyway i've managed to write a workaround, so it's ok)
jahtimes

Post by jahtimes »

Sorry I didn't have access to internet during 7 days. Thanks for the tips ! I'll try it :)