It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:57 am

"Rainmeter has stopped working"

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Epsilonae

"Rainmeter has stopped working"

Post by Epsilonae »

Randomly, rainmeter has suddenly started showing this error after it loads; I don't even understand why, because all my skins load perfectly fine in the background, but this error forces me to close them all.

What can I do? Everywhere I've read says to delete the .ini file/clean reinstall, but I'd rather not destroy >7 hours of work.
Kaelri
Developer

Re: "Rainmeter has stopped working"

Post by Kaelri »

What is the exact error that you're seeing? And can you post the contents of your Rainmeter.ini? (You can PM it to me if it contains personal data.)
Epsilonae

Post by Epsilonae »

The error is this; http://i.imgur.com/EMcyi.png

Do you mean the .ini file in %appdata%? Because it's ridiculously long; http://pastebin.com/3ypHBvB7 Is there anything I can do to make that file more readable?
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

Well, this is how it works: Rainmeter.ini is the file that remembers which skins you have loaded, along with their positions and other settings. The problem you're having is probably not with this file, but with one of your skins: as soon as Rainmeter starts, the problem skin is loaded, and the program crashes. So if you delete Rainmeter.ini, you can start Rainmeter cleanly, and work the problem from there.

If you don't want to lose all of your settings, this is what you can do:
  1. Close Rainmeter.
  2. Open Rainmeter.ini in a text editor.
  3. Replace all "Active=" settings (Active=1, Active=2, Active=3, etc.) with "Active=0."
  4. Save the file and re-launch Rainmeter. (If it still crashes at this point, then the problem is something else.)
  5. One by one, re-load each of the skins that you had open. When Rainmeter crashes, you'll have found your problem skin, and we can diagnose it further.