It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:53 am

Text cut off *horizontally*

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
WandersFar

Text cut off *horizontally*

Post by WandersFar »

Just wondering if there's any way to ensure text doesn't get cut off horizontally, other than playing with font sizes and positioning.

(Just to be clear, I mean entire lines of text getting cut in half, length-wise, not words getting dropped off the end of a string.) Other than manually adjusting the size of the container and the font, is there maybe a setting somewhere to prevent this?

Pic of what I mean:
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Text cut off *horizontally*

Post by jsmorley »

Not really. What is going on there is that you have the overall height of the meter container set high enough in pixels to hold 12 and 1/2 lines of text at the current font size and ClipString=1 so it wraps. Just change the overall height enough (less or more, up to you) so it fits the full height of the last line at the font size you have.
WandersFar

Post by WandersFar »

Thanks for the reply.

I was afraid this was one of those "guess heights and font sizes randomly until it looks pretty" situations, and was hoping to avoid that, ah well. :P

My issue is that I'm running the same skin in two different resolutions, (portable installation, two different machines) and at my larger resolution, the text displays properly, but at the smaller one, it cuts the last line in half, as above. Height is set as a function of %SCREENAREAHEIGHT% so it stays the same size relative to the rest of the screen — I suppose I'll have to ditch that for an absolute height to make it work.
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

You could use the round function in a calc measure to determine a size that is close to what you want but also a multiple of the font height. Of course if you have other skins depend on the size of this skin relative to the screen height that's going to cause some problems, but so is setting an absolute value.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!