It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:49 am

increasing update times for network meter in illustro

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
m0nk

increasing update times for network meter in illustro

Post by m0nk »

i've looked through the notepad file rainmeter.ini but didnt understand anything.
is there anyone that can help me with this?

i just need to make network.ini do so that it makes upload and download update faster.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: increasing update times for network meter in illustro

Post by jsmorley »

Edit Network.ini and change the line Update=1000 in the [Rainmeter] section near the top to Update=500 to change the rate the skin updates from once per second (every 1000 milliseconds) to once every 1/2 second (500 milliseconds).

Don't go too far down with this. I don't recommend setting it any lower than about 100 in any case, or the skin will be working so hard it will have some impact on your CPU usage.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

ok. thank you. :)

i put it on 500 then saved txt file. i dont see any change. then to 100 and restarted rainmeter but still see nothing.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

m0nk wrote:ok. thank you. :)

i put it on 500 then saved txt file. i dont see any change. then to 100 and restarted rainmeter but still see nothing.
Not sure what you are looking to see. The illustro network skin shows the current amount of network traffic in "bytes per second" and having it update more often than once a second isn't going to visibly change much.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

what i meant was that if i'm not downloading anything then there would be no traffic on the network meter only couple of bytes updating each second. but if im downloading i would like to see it update more than one time each second.
so that it is more floating/fluent.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

Rainmeter doesn't really know whether you're "downloading something." All network traffic is treated equally. However, you could pick a certain threshold - say, 100 KB/s - and change the update speed when your traffic goes above or below that threshold.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=100
; The entire skin updates every 100 milliseconds, i.e. 10 times per second.

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
NetInSpeed=#maxDownload#
UpdateDivider=10
; The measure updates at 1/10th the speed of the rest of the skin, i.e. once per second.

[measureNetInUpdate]
Measure=Calc
Formula=measureNetIn>819200
; 819200 bits = 100 kilobytes.

IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=!SetOption measureNetIn UpdateDivider 1
; If you are downloading more than 100 KB per second, this measure will change the UpdateDivider on [measureNetIn] from 10 (1/10th speed) to 1 (the same speed as the rest of the skin).

IfEqualValue=0
IfEqualAction=!SetOption measureNetIn UpdateDivider 10
; If you are downloading less than 100 KB per second, the UpdateDivider on [measureNetIn] will change back to 10.
Make sure to set UpdateDivider=10 on your other measures, as well, so that they update normally even with Update=100.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

i have
[Rainmeter]
Update=100

and

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
NetInSpeed=#maxDownload#
UpdateDivider=10
; The measure updates at 1/10th the speed of the rest of the skin, i.e. once per second.

[measureNetInUpdate]
Measure=Calc
Formula=measureNetIn>819200
; 819200 bits = 100 kilobytes.

IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=!SetOption measureNetIn UpdateDivider 1
; If you are downloading more than 100 KB per second, this measure will change the UpdateDivider on [measureNetIn] from 10 (1/10th speed) to 1 (the same speed as the rest of the skin).

IfEqualValue=0
IfEqualAction=!SetOption measureNetIn UpdateDivider 10
; If you are downloading less than 100 KB per second, the UpdateDivider on [measureNetIn] will change back to 10.

right under

[measureIP]
; This measure returns your IP. WebParser measures are relatively complicated. If you're a beginner with
; Rainmeter, take a look at some of the other illustro skins before modifying this one.
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
Url=http://checkip.dyndns.org
UpdateRate=100
RegExp="(?siU)Address: (.*)</body>"
StringIndex=1
Substitute="":"N/A"
; Substitute works as follows: "A":"B" where A is a string to substitute and B is a string
; to substitute with. In this case, it substutes "" (i.e. empty) to N/A

and it still doesn't update faster. i've tried restarting the rainmeter but nothing.

ps:; set update rate= under [measureIP] to 100.
parasite64

Post by parasite64 »

Where's your meter that displays the measureNetIn information?

I've copied and pasted that code into a new skin file, and I created a simple string meter and the information pops up (one second its 0, next second is something like 150), so your measures seem to be working. I loaded a youtube video and I noticed that it sped up while it was loading. I also had to remove the NetInSpeed=#maxDownload# since I didn't have the value of that variable. I used this as my meter:

[MeterNetIn]
Meter=String
MeasureName=measureNetIn
FontSize=64
FontColor=255,255,255,255
As for it's not updating, I'm going to guess that the measureNetInUpdate is only being calculated each and every second, so only when the second is above 819200 bytes, will it activate the UpdateDivider, but since NetIn is a calculation of information per second and you're checking less then a second, you're going to be smaller numbers since you're not counting a full second:

100 Bytes per second at 1 second means 100 Bytes in total;
100 Bytes per second at 0.1 second means 10 Bytes in total;
This will mean your code will speed up for one second (unless you're downloading 8,192,000 bytes per second) and then will reset.
[Aurora]
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

the meter that displays the measurenetin is the network skin its atleast all in the network.ini file.

and it updates the upload and download each second. i just want it to update more than once a second.