It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:27 pm

[Solved] New .rmskin format does not respect custom SkinPath

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
FlyingHyrax

[Solved] New .rmskin format does not respect custom SkinPath

Post by FlyingHyrax »

First, thank you all for the hard work that I know went into this release. :thumbup: The new packager and @Resources folder implementation are slick. However, I've got a bit of a problem with the new Packager... :(

It appears that the new skin packager/installer/ .rmskin format do not honor a custom SkinPath setting in Rainmeter.ini.
Installation and version data:
About Rainmeter wrote:2.3.0 r1497 64-bit (Jun 25 2012)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Matthew\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\Matthew\Rainmeter\
I noticed the problem when I was packing up my Elementary skins for the new 2.3 format.
As you can see, in the skin packager when one selects "Add Skin," the packager does not correctly enumerate already installed skins:

That's okay I suppose, because I can just use "Add a custom folder." So I proceeded to pack up my skin. (Here's the .rmskin: https://www.cubby.com/p/85f63274bd8348b18c2c430306bbffc5/Elementary_1.5.rmskin)
However, when I test the .rmskin, the installer does not detect that the skin is already installed:

And if I run the installer, I get the skin dumped into my Windows User folder, in a folder named "Rainmeter(SkinName)":

(Tested with Elementary and with JSMorley's InterfaceLIFTer skin)

A bit of a bummer, that. Besides putting my skins back into the default location, is there any way I can mitigate the issue? (I mean, I can install manually, but that's no fun. :))
And even though they are bugged on my system, should .rmskins I create still work fine for people with default installations?

Thanks, and have a nice day.
-fh
Last edited by FlyingHyrax on June 26th, 2012, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Hyrax on DeviantArt
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Bug] New .rmskin format does not respect custom SkinPat

Post by jsmorley »

Just to be sure, is there any chance you also have a C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder? Maybe left behind from some previous installation?
FlyingHyrax

Post by FlyingHyrax »

jsmorley wrote:Just to be sure, is there any chance you also have a C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder? Maybe left behind from some previous installation?
Nope, just double-checked. :???:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I can't replicate the issue...

I created:

C:\Users\Jeffrey Morley\Rainmeter\Skins

Then I put a skin of mine CSKeyState in there:

C:\Users\Jeffrey Morley\Rainmeter\Skins\CSKeyState

Then I changed SkinPath= in Rainmeter.ini to:

C:\Users\Jeffrey Morley\Rainmeter\Skins\

Restarted Rainmeter, and Manage saw the single CSKeyState skin in the new location.

Then I created a .rmskin

It saw and offered only the single CSKeyState skin to include. I set it to run the skin on install and created the .rmskin.

Ran the .rmskin and it offered to backup and replace CSKeyState.

Deleted CSKeyState from the new Skins folder, and ran the .rmskin again, to make sure it wasn't just seeing / installing to the old My Documents location. This time it did not offer to backup, but just installed the skin to the proper new location and ran it.

Nothing was created in Windows or any other strange location.

So what am I missing...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I tried it with C:\Users\Jeffrey Morley\ as SkinPath, to be completely consistent with what you did, and it still seems to work fine for me.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm concerned about the truncated "Add folder from Rainmete:" on your first screenshot. I don't get that when I replicate your setup.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

You are missing the trailing backslash in SkinPath=. I thought I fixed it, but apparently only for portable installations. Adding the backslash should solve your issues.
FlyingHyrax

Post by FlyingHyrax »

poiru wrote:You are missing the trailing backslash in SkinPath=. I thought I fixed it, but apparently only for portable installations. Adding the backslash should solve your issues.
Aha! I checked my Rainmeter.ini and you are correct. Adding it seems to do the trick.

Thank you both for the help!