It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:15 pm

2.1 Or 2.2?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Bjslim

2.1 Or 2.2?

Post by Bjslim »

I finally just got my Asus G74SX-A1 and I want to install Rainmeter on it. However, i really have no idea which version to use, 2.1 or 2.2. Any help? Which one is more dependable? :confused:
smurfier

Re: 2.1 Or 2.2?

Post by smurfier »

I always use the beta. Sure sometimes there's a bug or two and some features are in development. I just enjoy seeing the new features and being able to use them without waiting. There are also some great skins that are being written that sometimes use features only available in the betas at that time.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
Bjslim

Post by Bjslim »

smurfier wrote:I always use the beta. Sure sometimes there's a bug or two and some features are in development. I just enjoy seeing the new features and being able to use them without waiting. There are also some great skins that are being written that sometimes use features only available in the betas at that time.
what are some of the bugs? are they big or really annoying?
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

I know of no current bugs.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Real "bugs" of any consequence in the betas has been a pretty rare thing. We are fairly careful and tend to test thing internally in the team before they make it to a public beta. There have been a few minor instances of something getting by us, but knock on wood, not a single real "show stopper" that I can remember. In any case if something got through that was a real problem, we would have no issue at all with doing another beta ten minutes or an hour or a day later to fix it.

I would recommend pretty much always running the latest beta. It is a safe bet, you get the latest improvements which often enhance performance or functionality of existing features as much as really new stuff, and as was stated, the best authors are quick to jump on a new feature and if you don't stay fairly current, you are going to run into skins that you would like to use, but can't.

One thing we strive for, and have been successful with to date, is to ensure that all new versions are fully backwards compatible with skins written for older versions. What this means is that the one thing you don't have to worry about is that staying current with the beta is suddenly going to make the skins you use and like, or the many thousands of skins available from various sources, suddenly "out of date" and useless. The huge library of existing skins out there is one of our most important resources, and something we work hard to protect.