It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:00 pm

Can't install .rmskin files

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Lyra Borealis

Can't install .rmskin files

Post by Lyra Borealis »

As the title says. When I try to install .rmskin files, I get the error message that I don't have writing permissions. I took ownership of all the .rmskin files, I do have the writing permissions. I tried all the solutions that I could manage to find online, I reinstalled Rainmeter, and to no avail. This is the error I get:

Now for a probably stupid question, is there a way to turn .rmskin files into configuration (INI) files? There is a .rmskin files I'm dying to install, and I've been through 2 days of constant battle with my PC over it. ;/
Thanks in advance.
poiru
Developer

Re: Can't install .rmskin files

Post by poiru »

The location of your settings file is very odd. Can you run this tool and report back?

By the way, you are supposed to install .rmskin files by double-clicking on them (or, alternatively, by right-clicking -> Install Rainmeter skin). You seem to have done something entirely different -- am I correct?
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

How your rainmeter.ini file end up in a skin folder ?
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
Lyra Borealis

Post by Lyra Borealis »

maminscris wrote:How your rainmeter.ini file end up in a skin folder ?
I don't know. It says that for every .rmskin file I try to install but rainmeter.ini is in fact in C:\Users\Tixy\Appdata\Roaming\Rainmeter

poiru wrote:The location of your settings file is very odd. Can you run this tool and report back?

By the way, you are supposed to install .rmskin files by double-clicking on them (or, alternatively, by right-clicking -> Install Rainmeter skin). You seem to have done something entirely different -- am I correct?
I tried both by double-clicking, and by trying 'Open with' and choosing Rainmeter, and every time the above error would appear.

Anyhow, my problem now seems to be fixed. After Rainmeter reinstall, I hadn't yet rebooted, but when I did, another option appeared in my 'Open with' panel - Rainstaller. That wasn't there before, and now, when I choose to install a .rmskin with it, it does so and the .rmskin file I choose then turns into a folder with the configuration file inside. It still shows an error when I try right click, but since I don't have to do that anymore, it shouldn't be an issue, though it's still odd.
Thank you for your help and sorry for the bother.