It is currently October 23rd, 2024, 11:24 pm

Case Conversion: measure or meter

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
qwerky

Case Conversion: measure or meter

Post by qwerky »

Hi. I have a few webparser measures which return a lower-case string, which I would like to be upper-case (eg. for province code, measure returns "bc" which I would like to be "BC"). First thought was to use a regex substitution, but searching the forums, I see that \U doesn't work here. Is there another way?

Alternatively, it could be done using an Inline Option when displayed in a string meter. The issue here is that I wish to display it in a tooltip, and don't think that the Inline Option applies to the tooltip?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Case Conversion: measure or meter

Post by jsmorley »

qwerky wrote: Yesterday, 9:07 pm Hi. I have a few webparser measures which return a lower-case string, which I would like to be upper-case (eg. for province code, measure returns "bc" which I would like to be "BC"). First thought was to use a regex substitution, but searching the forums, I see that \U doesn't work here. Is there another way?

Alternatively, it could be done using an Inline Option when displayed in a string meter. The issue here is that I wish to display it in a tooltip, and don't think that the Inline Option applies to the tooltip?
I think the best way is a very simple Lua function:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/lua-scripting/inline-lua/

Test.lua:

Code: Select all

function Upper(inString)
	return string.upper(inString)
end
Test.ini:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

[Variables]

[Lua]
Measure=Script
ScriptFile=Test.lua
Disabled=1

[MeasureString]
Measure=String
String=bc

[MeterString]
Meter=String
Text=[&Lua:Upper('[&MeasureString]')]
FontSize=16
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
FontColor=255,255,255,255
AntiAlias=1
ToolTipText=[&Lua:Upper('[&MeasureString]')]
DynamicVariables=1
Up to you where you use the Inline Lua function call, it will work almost anywhere. Note that DynamicVariables=1 will be required most, but not all, places you use it.

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

qwerky wrote: Yesterday, 9:07 pm Hi. I have a few webparser measures which return a lower-case string, which I would like to be upper-case (eg. for province code, measure returns "bc" which I would like to be "BC"). First thought was to use a regex substitution, but searching the forums, I see that \U doesn't work here. Is there another way?

Indeed, neither the Inline Case, nor the StringCase in a String meter would work for tooltips, though they would work just fine for either parts or the entire contents of the String meter itself. Regex support for \U is quite rare, and unavailable in Rainmeter as well - even regex101.com mentions that the feature is only available on their site. I believe jsmorley's advice is a very simple one to follow, especially if we're talking about tooltips, where other features that Rainmeter provides are limited.

By the way, Rainmeter does not do regex patterns (bar the \1, \2 and such references) in the 2nd part of the substitution, i.e. the one after the : symbol. I'm saying this because I've seen other applications do it (which would be where the \U part is written, if it were to be possible).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

jsmorley wrote: Yesterday, 9:28 pm I think the best way is a very simple Lua function:
Thank you! This works great. And thanks for such a quick response. :cheer:
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

Yincognito wrote: Yesterday, 9:51 pm By the way, Rainmeter does not do regex patterns (bar the \1, \2 and such references) in the 2nd part of the substitution, i.e. the one after the : symbol. I'm saying this because I've seen other applications do it (which would be where the \U part is written, if it were to be possible).
And thank you too for the quick response. That's good information to be aware of. :thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Out of curiosity, how come the province codes are lower case on that site? It's almost an unwritten standard for them to be upper case, and especially if they are initials of different names (i.e. different words) ... :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

Yincognito wrote: Yesterday, 10:14 pm Out of curiosity, how come the province codes are lower case on that site? It's almost an unwritten standard for them to be upper case, and especially if they are initials of different names (i.e. different words) ... :???:
That's a very good question! That site also has lower-case for the current station code (the airport code -- YVR, which in my experience is also usually upper-case); but on the other hand, it does have the timezone code (PDT) in upper-case. :Whistle Wish I could find some better documentation for that site.

BTW, I just noticed that this forum's smilies have changed. I thought there used to be a :shrug:, but maybe not. ;)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

:confused:

So not that?
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

jsmorley wrote: Yesterday, 10:42 pm :confused:

So not that?
But, but, but... I guess that must be the one I was thinking of, though it is called "confused" rather than "shrug". But hey, close enough. :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

qwerky wrote: Yesterday, 10:54 pm But, but, but... I guess that must be the one I was thinking of, though it is called "confused" rather than "shrug". But hey, close enough. :D
Search around on the interwebs, and if you find a reasonably small animated gif "shrug" smiley. Attach it here and I will gladly add it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯