It is currently September 7th, 2024, 11:50 pm

[Troubleshooting Guide] Disappearing skins when showing desktop or pressing WIN+D

Our most popular Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Team and others
spweedoo

Re: [Troubleshooting Guide] Disappearing skins when showing desktop or pressing WIN+D

Post by spweedoo »

Hi all - reactivating this thread to share that I'm experiencing the same issue (disappearing skin when pressing Win+D) - after much troubleshooting before posting, I've isolated the issue to the fact that I am currently on Windows 11 IoT LTSC (using this ISO: 26100.1.240331-1435.ge_release_CLIENT_ENTERPRISES_OEM_x64FRE_en-us), and it has something to do with this particular copy of Windows (in my case).

I've tested out regular Windows 11 (non-LTSC) on a VM, and do not have this issue - it is isolated to the IoT LTSC version - after installing a fresh copy via VM, and only installing rainmeter thereafter, this exact issue occurs.

Not sure if there's a fix for this (other than to return to regular Windows 11 non-LTSC, which is not something I intend to do, given how bloat-free the LTSC version is), but I thought I'd post in case someone else happens to have the same issue and can't find a fix.

Unfortunately, all of the fixes recommended above do not work, as this issue occurred on a freshly installed LTSC copy (with no other services/programs installed, other than W11 base).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Troubleshooting Guide] Disappearing skins when showing desktop or pressing WIN+D

Post by Yincognito »

spweedoo wrote: June 15th, 2024, 7:11 pm Not sure if there's a fix for this (other than to return to regular Windows 11 non-LTSC, which is not something I intend to do, given how bloat-free the LTSC version is), but I thought I'd post in case someone else happens to have the same issue and can't find a fix.
Thanks for sharing your experience with this - good to know. :thumbup:

A somewhat similar thread here - without any apparent solution or answer - just to link these probably related things:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=42521

The problem with bloat is that one doesn't know for sure if some potentially useful things (like some .dll or something that prevents such issues) are included in that bloat. :D

P.S. Also, if that file doesn't come directly from Microsoft and it's some user customized / slipstreamed / whatever version, then that could explain this issue (or others) as well. I used to slipstream Windows installations in the past too, but the process is time consuming and a bit tricky if one doesn't know precisely which is which and the entire set of implications after excluding some package from the said installation / ISO file.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
spweedoo

Post by spweedoo »

Thanks for the reply! I'll continue tinkering with both a fresh Windows 10 LTSC VM and this new Windows 11 LTSC version, and hopefully I'll be able to figure it out - in response to your question about a custom ISO - this is the genuine Microsoft OEM version downloadable here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/download-windows-11-iot-enterprise-ltsc?culture=en-us&country=us

So it's definitely not a concern of custom ISO's, but I take your point that custom ISOs could have been tampered with, thereby impacting this issue.

More to come :D
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

spweedoo wrote: June 18th, 2024, 2:21 am Thanks for the reply! I'll continue tinkering with both a fresh Windows 10 LTSC VM and this new Windows 11 LTSC version, and hopefully I'll be able to figure it out - in response to your question about a custom ISO - this is the genuine Microsoft OEM version downloadable here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/download-windows-11-iot-enterprise-ltsc?culture=en-us&country=us

So it's definitely not a concern of custom ISO's, but I take your point that custom ISOs could have been tampered with, thereby impacting this issue.

More to come :D
Oh, I see. Yeah, identifying the culprit / solution won't be easy, since, based on your experience with it, it seems to be related to one of the many package differences between a "normal" and a LTSC installation (or worse, the settings applied to an otherwise identical package included in both). Nevertheless, I wish you luck in investigating this, maybe it won't be looking for the needle in the haystack, after all. Keep us posted on your findings, if any. :thumbup:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

We've gotten reports similar to this, as noted above, every single person that reported this problem is on Windows Kernel Version 26XXX, at the current time of writing this message (19th of August 2024), the latest Insider/Dev build (26120.1350) has this problem constantly, but the Beta build (22635) dosen't have the problem.
Sadly, at least for Win 11, Windows™ is the problem here and not Rainmeter, and that's gonna be impossible to fix. (unless Rainmeter hijacks itself on the wallpaper layer)

In other news, the guide also mentions apps that inject themselves into processes, I found a few more here!
So the list can grow with:
  • DellInc.AlienwareSoundCenterDevProps2.dll
  • NahimicOSD.dll, Nahimic2OSD.dll (yes, the same culprit as in the other thread where visualizers don't work)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Thanks for the summary, Jeff - that definitely narrows down the potential list of culprits even more! :thumbup: