It is currently June 16th, 2024, 10:03 am

[BUG] Flickering taskbar when running Rainmeter (with ExplorerPatcher)

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Rumbra

[BUG] Flickering taskbar when running Rainmeter (with ExplorerPatcher)

Post by Rumbra »

Hello, everyone!

I need your attention to help fix an issue. The flickering only occurs when running Rainmeter while ExplorerPatcher is active (ExplorerPatcher is software that modifies the Taskbar and Start Menu on Windows 11 to function more like they do in Windows 10.) I've recorded a video to show what's happening.

Here are the details:

From 0:00 to 0:26 — The system runs without Rainmeter, and there are no problems.
From 0:27 to 1:10 — The flickering bug appears after launching Rainmeter.
From 1:11 to 1:46 — Once Rainmeter is closed, the system returns to normal.

Thank you for your help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkkFsgj1TPc
Last edited by Rumbra on May 25th, 2024, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [BUG] Flickering taskbar when running Rainmeter (with ExplorerPatcher)

Post by Yincognito »

Generally speaking, you do realize that using an explorer patcher doesn't have much to do with Rainmeter, right? :???:

Secondly, I could be mistaken, but I don't see much Rainmeter in your video...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: May 19th, 2024, 5:58 pm Secondly, I could be mistaken, but I don't see much Rainmeter in your video...
But yes, it is there. At 0:24 OP opens the Start menu, writes Rainmeter in the search field and launches Rainmeter, with one single visible skin, in the bottom right corner of the screen. I wonder how many skins are loaded at this point: there might be some skins which have no visible elements, but consumes a lot of resources in the background. Not too probably, but might be a possibility, so worth a check. So Rumbra, how many and which skins have you activated? Let us know if you don't know how to check, please.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: May 19th, 2024, 7:05 pm But yes, it is there. At 0:24 OP opens the Start menu, writes Rainmeter in the search field and launches Rainmeter, with one single visible skin, in the bottom right corner of the screen. I wonder how many skins are loaded at this point: there might be some skins which have no visible elements, but consumes a lot of resources in the background. Not too probably, but might be a possibility, so worth a check. So Rumbra, how many and which skins have you activated? Let us know if you don't know how to check, please.
Yep, my bad, wasn't clear enough in my statements earlier - was posting while enjoying a beer with some friends and didn't spend much time explaining myself. I did see that he launched Rainmeter and had a skin in the bottom right corner - what I meant is that I couldn't see the flickering and couldn't see a difference between the behavior with Rainmeter loaded and with it unloaded. In other words, I couldn't understand what was "broken" from the video, where was the problem supposedly caused by Rainmeter.

Anyway, now, on a second view at home and after downloading the video, I can notice 2 or 3 instances of slight disappearance of the taskbar, for the duration of a single frame in the video - for example at 00:00:45.067 aka frame 1351 (or 1352, depending on whether frames are numbered from 0 or 1):
Taskbar Flickering.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: May 19th, 2024, 11:58 pm Anyway, now, on a second view at home and after downloading the video, I can notice 2 or 3 instances of slight disappearance of the taskbar, for the duration of a single frame in the video - for example at 00:00:45.067 aka frame 1351 (or 1352, depending on whether frames are numbered from 0 or
Yep, some "flickering" can indeed be seen, however my guess is still related to the existing skins, because otherwise I can't explain what's going on there. A single skin couldn't normally give such problems, especially not on a decent computer. So we have to wait for Rumbra to come back and give us some details. I'd be curious what is that seeable only skin.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: May 20th, 2024, 6:00 am Yep, some "flickering" can indeed be seen, however my guess is still related to the existing skins, because otherwise I can't explain what's going on there. A single skin couldn't normally give such problems, especially not on a decent computer. So we have to wait for Rumbra to come back and give us some details. I'd be curious what is that seeable only skin.
Indeed. Could also be a combination of using Rainmeter (or that specific Rainmeter skin) and Explorer Patcher together, since the latter specifically "modifies the Taskbar and Start Menu", according to the OP. I suppose both use somewhat related ways to manage desktop graphics, so maybe there's an "overlap" of actions between them that's causing the problem.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I suggest:
1. Unload all the skins, and running Rainmeter without any active skins. Is the taskbar flickering now?
2. When unloaded all the skins, load one default "illustro" skin. Is the taskbar flickering now?
3. In Rainmeter Setting toggle the option "Use hardware acceleration", and restart Rainmeter. Is the taskbar flickering now?

Pardon me, but you have a lot of applications running at the same time. I would not be surprised if any of them is interfering, especially if this application customizes desktop and requires to be running on the background. I might be wrong or right.
Rumbra

Post by Rumbra »

Hello friends! First of all, a thousand apologies for the delay in responding to this topic. I read all the responses and followed some of the suggestions mentioned here.

I deleted all the skins and kept only the one I want to use (the one shown in the video, demonstrating how the discs work). And unbelievably, it solved the problem... the Taskbar stopped flashing! The amazing thing is that I never imagined it could be this, especially since all the other skins were deactivated (none were enabled and/or in use).

I am very happy to see that I can now use Rainmeter without complications. Thank you all very much!

PS: I recorded the video and uploaded it from my PC, posted it here, and didn't even check how it was playing on my phone (using the YouTube app). Today I took a look, and as funny and frustrating as it may seem, the video, when not in full-screen mode, doesn't show the darn Taskbar (addressed here in the topic); it only shows from its top upwards - just the wallpaper and the widget appear. Haha, what a bummer!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Rumbra wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:59 pmAnd unbelievably, it solved the problem...
Nice - sometimes solutions are unexpectedly simple. Luckily both balala and ActiveColors thought of that. :thumbup:
Rumbra wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:59 pmthe video, when not in full-screen mode, doesn't show the darn Taskbar
And it has rounded corners. When first watching it on YT, I thought it was a skin creating those round corners on your screen and the issue you were experiencing, but thankfully I waited until I watched it as a video file and avoided saying something stupid. :lol:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Rumbra wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:59 pm I deleted all the skins and kept only the one I want to use (the one shown in the video, demonstrating how the discs work). And unbelievably, it solved the problem... the Taskbar stopped flashing! The amazing thing is that I never imagined it could be this, especially since all the other skins were deactivated (none were enabled and/or in use).
Most probably there was / were one or more skins having no visible elements (not too probably, but not impossible either), which caused the issue. There is no other explanation, deactivated skins can't give issues (unless there is something I'm missing - might be however, who knows). Even if I'm just guessing, I'm glad you got it fixed.