It is currently April 30th, 2024, 3:49 pm

What do I modify to restore the original settings?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: What do I modify to restore the original settings?

Post by balala »

bhs67 wrote: April 12th, 2024, 1:07 pm 2) These are a contents of C:\Windows.old\Users\xxxzzz\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini:
Windows.old stores what you did have on your hard drive before installing Windows 10. It is a kind of backup to can access the old content even after upgraded Windows. Accordingly if you did upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 (what I think you did), through Windows Update, you get the old content of your hard drive on this folder and the new version of Windows on the root of the drive. Accordingly, working in this Windows.old folder is completely useless, has nothing to do with the current and working version of your OS. Rainmeter (no other currently installed programs either) can't and don't access the content of this folder.
Don't try to access Rainmeter.ini manually (this can be done only if you know extremely well what are you doing). Instead right click Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area ("in the bottom right corner of Win11") and click Edit settings. What you get opening in your default text editor, is the Rainmeter.ini file you have to work with. But even better, I recommend to activate the needed skins manually, one by one.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

bhs67 wrote: April 12th, 2024, 1:07 pm Unfortunately it does not display the time, etc. on the screen.
Well, that depends on what skins you had installed and loaded in the Rainmeter from your ".old" Windows installation, compared to what skins you have installed in the Rainmeter from your current Windows installation. In the Rainmeter.ini from your ".old" Windows I see that Active=2 for [Elegant Clock], so that skin was insstalled and loaded back then. I have no idea if you installed it now in your current Windows, that's something you should know.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
bhs67

Post by bhs67 »

It displays now! My procedure:

Copy C:\Windows.old\Users\xxxzzz\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder
... to: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder

Copy Rainmeter.ini from: C:\Windows.old\Users\xxxzzz\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
... to: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\

Modify the contents of Rainmeter.ini
... from: SkinPath=C:\Users\xxxzzz\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
... to: SkinPath=C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

Everything works fine, except the SYSTEM, DISKS, etc ---- https://snipboard.io/6Ndve2.jpg --- keeps appearing. How do I disable this?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

bhs67 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 8:35 pm Everything works fine, except the SYSTEM, DISKS, etc ---- https://snipboard.io/6Ndve2.jpg --- keeps appearing. How do I disable this?
As you unload any skin: right click any of them and click Unload skin. Repeat this on each skin you want to close, one by one.
bhs67

Post by bhs67 »

I don't know which skin it is? Which one comes preinstalled when I download the latest?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

bhs67 wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:43 pm I don't know which skin it is? Which one comes preinstalled when I download the latest?
Only some skins from the Illustro suite are loaded by default when you clean install Rainmeter's latest version. Not knowing which skin to unload doesn't make any sense, since you just mentioned them at the end of your previous reply, plus, their name is clearly displayed when you right click on them for the context menu:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/context-menus/#SkinContextMenus

Seriously now, I understand that not everyone is tech savvy and all that, but I believe that taking a look at a few of the 10 steps from the Rainmeter tutorial can help you get a bit more familiar with how it all works:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/

You don't need to read or memorize everything, just the things you're interested in. The manual is there all the time, so if you forget something it's not a problem. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
bhs67

Post by bhs67 »

Thanks for the response!

I've written code for many years ranging from Assembler to C#. I do not know the Rainmeter nomenclature.

When I first used Rainmeter, I used trial and error. Eventually, it looked good, thanks to responses to my Rainmeter Forum posts a few years ago.

A few days ago, after I installed Win11, I looked at the Rainmeter.ini file text under the Windows.old folder. This led me to make appropriate modifications, as posted on 13 Apr 2024.

The Manage Rainmeter now looks like this -> https://snipboard.io/gZL1ka.jpg. I do not know what to modify to remove the images labeled SYSTEM, DISKS, etc. -> https://snipboard.io/6Ndve2.jpg.

Learning Rainmeter nomenclature is a low priority for me. The only time I will use it again, is after Win12 is released.

I'm open to suggestions on removing the unwanted images that came with the recent installation of Rainmeter. Thanks!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

bhs67 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 11:14 am The Manage Rainmeter now looks like this -> https://snipboard.io/gZL1ka.jpg. I do not know what to modify to remove the images labeled SYSTEM, DISKS, etc. -> https://snipboard.io/6Ndve2.jpg.
Let's try again, because if you've written codes in any language you should have to understand that none of the currently installed and used programs are not using the files from the Windows.old folder, which is used to store a sort of backup of the files you had before upgrading your Windows 10 to Windows 11. Altering anything in the Windows.old folder is completely in vain, does nothing and definitely has no impact on the used Rainmeter.
To identify the currently activated Rainmeter skins open Rainameter Manage dialog (for instance by double clicking the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area) and click the Active skins button on the Skins tab. You get a list of the loaded skins. Click any of them. You get its name highlighted in the panel placed below the Active skins button. When highlighted, click The right placed Unload button to deactivate the skin. Note that when you click a skin, in the right side of the window you get either an Unload button if the skin is activated, or a Load button if the highlighted skin is not active
Try to understand please: what you have in the Windows.old folder has nothing to do with the currently installed operating system or the currently installed programs.
bhs67

Post by bhs67 »

balala:"Altering anything in the Windows.old folder is completely in vain, does nothing and definitely has no impact on the used Rainmeter."

Code: Select all

From my 13 Apr 2024 post: "My procedure:
... to: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder "
The 13 Apr 2024 procedure was a success! The temperature and time / date displayed as it did before!

---
balala: "Unload button to deactivate the skin"

My current Manage Rainmeter image -> https://snipboard.io/gZL1ka.jpg. I unloaded every "ini" except for Elegant Clock > LightClock.ini. This removed the unwanted images! Thanks for the clarification!

---
A minor issue is the location of the time / date. It is close to, but not next to, the left side of the screen. The LightClock.ini contents:

;Elegance
;Clock Skin - Black
;Created by TwistLemon

[Rainmeter]
Author=TwistLemon
Update=1000

[Variables]
Size1=74
Size2=18
ClockSize=40
WhiteHands=255,255,255,255
BlackHands=0,0,0,245

;-----------MEASURES------------
[MeasureTime]
Measure=Time
Format=%#I:%M

[MeasureDate]
Measure=Time
Format=%a, %d %b %Y

;-----------METERS------------
[MeterTime]
MeasureName=MeasureTime
Meter=STRING
X=230
Y=0 
FontColor=255, 255, 255, 255
FontSize=40
FontFace=Antipasto
StringAlign=CENTER
;StringStyle=BOLD
AntiAlias=1

[MeterDate]
MeasureName=MeasureDate
Meter=STRING
X=r
Y=87r
FontColor=255, 255, 255, 255
FontSize=18
FontFace=Antipasto
StringAlign=CENTER
;StringStyle=Bold
AntiAlias=1
What should I add / modify in LightClock.ini to move the time / date closer to the left side of the screen? Thanks!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

bhs67 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 12:37 pm balala:"Altering anything in the Windows.old folder is completely in vain, does nothing and definitely has no impact on the used Rainmeter."

From my 13 Apr 2024 post: "My procedure:
... to: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder "
The 13 Apr 2024 procedure was a success! The temperature and time / date displayed as it did before!
Yep, but then you've copied something from the C:\Windows.old\Users\xxxzzz\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder to C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins and this definitely makes sense. What doesn't make sense at all is copying to Windows.old.
However I'm glad if you got it working finally.
bhs67 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 12:37 pm My current Manage Rainmeter image -> https://snipboard.io/gZL1ka.jpg. I unloaded every "ini" except for Elegant Clock > LightClock.ini. This removed the unwanted images! Thanks for the clarification!
I assume by image you did mean skin. In Rainmeter we're working with skins, not with images (skins can use images, but this is something else). Glad once again if you got it looking as you want.
bhs67 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 12:37 pm What should I add / modify in LightClock.ini to move the time / date closer to the left side of the screen? Thanks!
Try replacing the StringAlign=CENTER option of both meters ([MeterTime] and [MeterDate]) by StringAlign=Right.
Also if you want to place the skin in the most-right part of your screen you can add an OnRefreshaction=[!SetWindowPosition "100%" "#CURRENTCONFIGY#" "100%" "0%"] option to the [Rainmeter] section of the code. Note the most important two parameters here, the first and third ones, both set to 100%. The first parameter is setting the horizontal position of the skin (100% means the most-right part of the screen), while the third parameter (also set to 100%) is representing the anchor point of the skin. By setting both these parameters to 100% you get the right side of your skin on the most right end of the screen.
The second and fourth parameters (set to #CURRENTCONFIGY# and 0%) are representing the vertical position and the vertical anchor point of the skin. By setting the vertical position to #CURRENTCONFIGY# you keep the skin unmoved vertically when you refresh the skin. If needed / wanted, you can use here any specific value.

Additional tip: if you want to quote a post, click the Quote button on the post you want to quote:
Screenshot 2024-04-18 190212.png
This way you get the post in the reply field and you have to only write only reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.