It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:34 pm

Rainmeter taking 466GB of storage???

General topics related to Rainmeter.
PsyChaotic

Rainmeter taking 466GB of storage???

Post by PsyChaotic »

Help, I was thinking of uninstalling some apps and used RevoUninstaller to do that but when I sorted it by size Rainmeter came on top with 466GB of storage?? I checked in windows settings to see if the app actually is using 466GB of space but it doesn't even say anything. I'm no tech savvy but I know this is obviously just a slight misread from my pc as my drive literally only has a 465GB capacity and I obviously have other apps and files on this drive. I'm just curious as to how this happened and does Rainmeter actually take up such huge storage space?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter taking 466GB of storage???

Post by Yincognito »

Rainmeter non-portable, if downloaded and installed from this site to its default location in the program files folder, takes only a few MB. I would try to identify if it's something suspicious with your installation or it's just a misread in Revo Uninstaller (which isn't normal either and could create problems when uninstalling).

There are other ways to check how much an installation takes, Control Panel > Programs and Features or just checking the size of the installation folder via right click and Properties from Explorer, so you can check those as well, just to make sure.

There might be also the remote possibility of something being wrong regarding your hard drive health, settings or partitioning, so better check that too.

Another possibility could be the contrast between an older Revo version and a newer Windows one, though that's just a guess.

The key point here is that this shouldn't happen, and that it should be fixed one way or another - just to be on the safe side.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Besides what Yincognito says, since I'm not using RevoUninstaller so I don't know how does it work, there might be an explanation for this. If when shown by RevoUnistaller, in those 466 GB of data are included, besides the content of the Rainmeter program folder (which is extremely small, around 6 MB in my case), the content of the Skins folder as well, the total size of Rainmeter, depending on installed skins, might have such a value.
Once again: I'm not sure if this is correct, because I'm not using RevoUninstaller. But definitely might be a possibility, in my opinion, which should be checked.
You might want to try checking the size shown in the Control Panel -> Uninstall a program window.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 18th, 2024, 3:41 pmthe content of the Skins folder as well, the total size of Rainmeter, depending on installed skins, might have such a value.
Once again: I'm not sure if this is correct, because I'm not using RevoUninstaller. But definitely might be a possibility, in my opinion, which should be checked.
Thought about this too, though according to the OP, his entire drive capacity is less than what is reported by Revo as the size of his Rainmeter installation... :confused:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 18th, 2024, 4:15 pm Thought about this too, though according to the OP, his entire drive capacity is less than what is reported by Revo as the size of his Rainmeter installation... :confused:
Not sure what is going on there, however he might have the skins onto another drive? This is my case, for instance: the skins are not on the C: drive, where the Rainmeter app is installed.
Not sure, was just a guess...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 18th, 2024, 6:27 pm Not sure what is going on there, however he might have the skins onto another drive? This is my case, for instance: the skins are not on the C: drive, where the Rainmeter app is installed.
Not sure, was just a guess...
I see what you mean now. I don't know if the size of the installation folder AFTER the installation is reported by Revo or Windows for that matter as the size of the "installation", that would be too "easy". Normally, the InstallShield or whatever utility that handles the installation package would store somewhere (the registry?) the size of all files copied by its installation process at the time of installation. Otherwise, you could copy entire movies and such in the installation folder and they would be erroneously reported as being part of the "installed files" - you get the idea...

Didn't test how the reported size of a software is computed though, so I might be wrong.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 18th, 2024, 7:14 pm so I might be wrong.
Me too. We have to wait for PsyChaotic to come back with some answers, I think.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

This bug was fixed years ago.
https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/commit/d7e3df687b6c563520769f2391f691954055a8d3

The problem was with the installer when we attempted to calculate the size of the installation to store in the registry for uninstallation purposes. We made an assumption that ALL files in the installation folder was part of the Rainmeter installation...so in cases where someone installs Rainmeter to the root folder of a drive, the entire size of the drive is calculated as size of the installation. We removed this calculation (see the link above), so now there is no size in the Windows settings.

I am not sure why Revo Uninstaller is marking the size that big, but it looks like a similar issue in calculating the size of the installation.

Maybe non-Rainmeter files are stored in the same folder?

Anyway, you can safely uninstall Rainmeter using the Windows Settings app.

-Brian