It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:58 am

No folder in Documents?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Narsiox

Re: No folder in Documents?

Post by Narsiox »

poiru wrote:Yeah, get rid of that and start Rainmeter.
I deleted it and tried to start Rainmeter, but when I click the icon on my desktop or taskbar nothing happens, when I go to my start menu and try to open it, nothing happens. I even tried running it as admin, and that didn't work, either. Absolutely NOTHING happens.
DrkKnight

Post by DrkKnight »

I have been having the very same issue also for some time now also, Rainmeter just will not create a folder in Documents, I have done the clean uninstall and install and reinstall as admin, none of the help in this thread has corrected the issue.

Also after installation there is no desktop icon and no file association for .RM files
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

DrkKnight wrote: March 12th, 2024, 2:00 pm I have been having the very same issue also for some time now also, Rainmeter just will not create a folder in Documents, I have done the clean uninstall and install and reinstall as admin, none of the help in this thread has corrected the issue.

Also after installation there is no desktop icon and no file association for .RM files
Sounds like you've installed Rainmeter as portable. Am I right, did you install it this way?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

DrkKnight wrote: March 12th, 2024, 2:00 pm I have been having the very same issue also for some time now also, Rainmeter just will not create a folder in Documents, I have done the clean uninstall and install and reinstall as admin, none of the help in this thread has corrected the issue.

Out of curiosity and to take as many possibilities into account, do you by any chance have OneDrive (or whatever that MS cloud is called) installed / enabled? The folders / files that should have gone to the local Documents might have been redirected to the OneDrive location. I didn't experience it myself, but there were some posts about that in the past on the forum (too lazy to use the Search button to find them at the moment).

EDIT: Alright, brushed off the laziness and here is the result (I only included SilverAzide as Author cause I distinctly remember him mentioning this as well):
https://forum.rainmeter.net/search.php?keywords=onedrive&terms=all&author=SilverAzide&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Or, even more specific:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=41900
Not sure if it helps, but hey, it's the first among the few potential culprits for this I could think of.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
DrkKnight

Post by DrkKnight »

balala wrote: March 12th, 2024, 3:34 pm Sounds like you've installed Rainmeter as portable. Am I right, did you install it this way?
I thought I made that mistake also , but no
Yincognito wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:20 pm Out of curiosity and to take as many possibilities into account, do you by any chance have OneDrive (or whatever that MS cloud is called) installed / enabled? The folders / files that should have gone to the local Documents might have been redirected to the OneDrive location. I didn't experience it myself, but there were some posts about that in the past on the forum (too lazy to use the Search button to find them at the moment).

EDIT: Alright, brushed off the laziness and here is the result (I only included SilverAzide as Author cause I distinctly remember him mentioning this as well):
https://forum.rainmeter.net/search.php?keywords=onedrive&terms=all&author=SilverAzide&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Or, even more specific:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=41900
Not sure if it helps, but hey, it's the first among the few potential culprits for this I could think of.
I do not have one drive enabled , it is not uninstalled but all startups and services for it are turned off.
Initially the cmd prompt in the second link you provided did not work, what wound up getting it working for me is I completely removed Rainmeter 4.5.18, installed version 3.3.3 , ran the cmd prompt .... still no joy , then I installed version 4.5.18 on top of it, all of a sudden the documents folder appeared and the file association started working ..... go figure :thumbup:

Thanks for the help guys!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

DrkKnight wrote: March 14th, 2024, 5:03 am I thought I made that mistake also , but no

I do not have one drive enabled , it is not uninstalled but all startups and services for it are turned off.
Initially the cmd prompt in the second link you provided did not work, what wound up getting it working for me is I completely removed Rainmeter 4.5.18, installed version 3.3.3 , ran the cmd prompt .... still no joy , then I installed version 4.5.18 on top of it, all of a sudden the documents folder appeared and the file association started working ..... go figure :thumbup:

Thanks for the help guys!
That's interesting indeed. You're welcome from my part, glad you eventually made it work. :great:

P.S. Yeah, file association in Win 10+ is a bit shaky. Personally, I even made myself a testing and setting system for that a whole ago, based on 0 byte sized dummy files, a batch and some registry files.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth