It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:32 pm

Windows 10/11 Notifications

General topics related to Rainmeter.
bigaurey

Windows 10/11 Notifications

Post by bigaurey »

So I think I came across an error once where Discord was sending the chat notifications but the Windows banner pop up was disconnected from my taskbar and appearing at the top left of my screen. Googling lead to the only way to move it would be moving the taskbar which I don't really want to do. I've been looking on here but most searches related to notifications is something specific to an app that doesn't do this feature.

Basically looking to move the windows app notifications to an alternate location if possible if a skin already exists. If it's not overtly complicated I would be interested in learning how to do it

Thanks! If I can't ask this question let me know and I'll remove it
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Windows 10/11 Notifications

Post by Yincognito »

bigaurey wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 5:47 pm So I think I came across an error once where Discord was sending the chat notifications but the Windows banner pop up was disconnected from my taskbar and appearing at the top left of my screen. Googling lead to the only way to move it would be moving the taskbar which I don't really want to do. I've been looking on here but most searches related to notifications is something specific to an app that doesn't do this feature.

Basically looking to move the windows app notifications to an alternate location if possible if a skin already exists. If it's not overtly complicated I would be interested in learning how to do it

Thanks! If I can't ask this question let me know and I'll remove it
Well, this is related more to Windows than Rainmeter, but anyway...

It's not that it's complicated, it's just that our "friend" MS kindly disabled it for us - obviously, defying user opinion on this, like it always does:
https://superuser.com/questions/1089262/change-position-of-notifications
https://www.howtogeek.com/680898/can-you-move-windows-10s-notification-pop-ups/
Again, like always, the best choice is to defy MS yourself, take control of your own computer and personalization, and just either write or use a 3rd party app that displays its own notifications in a position you can control, like suggested in the 2nd link above.

Of course, since there aren't many apps that come with their own notification abilities (or many folks writing such apps), you could write a Rainmeter skin to do the notifications itself, if only there was a way to detect when those notifications should occur and what their contents is. Naturally, our friend earlier didn't bother to make these things available to us either, though there might be some limited ways to get what's in them:
https://superuser.com/questions/947947/view-past-notifications-in-windows-10-and-11
If one manages to retrieve that info in a Rainmeter skin (via an intelligible log file, some conversion, or otherwise), a limited way of displaying such things by a Rainmeter skin would be possible. I know that it's not what you asked, just laying out various alternatives, since the built-in one is carefully made unavailable.

So, yeah, it would be a bit complicated, yes. Probably not worth to tackle it, even though if you don't you'll remain with the problem unsolved.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
bigaurey

Post by bigaurey »

Okay good enough info to decide to not even try and tackle it :P thank you for the response
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

bigaurey wrote: January 14th, 2024, 6:47 pm Okay good enough info to decide to not even try and tackle it :P thank you for the response
You're welcome, sorry it wasn't what you probably wanted to hear. You made a good decision in this case, but if it's about notifications appearing where you have a skin, a much easier choice would be to change the location of the skin on the screen, instead of trying to change the location of the notifications... ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth