It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:11 pm

Windows key changed

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
GFTA

Windows key changed

Post by GFTA »

Hello dear Rainmeter community

I've been using Rainmeter for quite some time and recently found the Jax's Core Skins. I installed them and later noticed that i had some performance issues.
After uniunstalling I notice that my Windows-key isn't working anymore. I found nothing in the internet so I'm asking here. Is there a way to get it back working?

Image.

Thanks for the help in advance
Last edited by Brian on November 3rd, 2023, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link to imgur.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Windows key changed

Post by Yincognito »

GFTA wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 2:47 pm Hello dear Rainmeter community

I've been using Rainmeter for quite some time and recently found the Jax's Core Skins. I installed them and later noticed that i had some performance issues.
After uniunstalling I notice that my Windows-key isn't working anymore. I found nothing in the internet so I'm asking here. Is there a way to get it back working? Image.

Thanks for the help in advance
Yeah, JaxCore is a nice and complex suite, though it tries to do many things that Rainmeter was probably not built for. Unless other modifications were operated by JaxCore, I don't think your Windows key stopped working, but it's possible that the uninstalling of it wasn't complete, since you still get a message from an AutoHotKey script (i.e. ValliStart.ahk) that is part of the suite, even after uninstalling.

Bar a message box displaying what looks to be a hotkey for a feature of the suite, and a PostMessage command that, according to the AutoHotKey help, might produce unexpected results if the target window (in this case, a skin window from that suite, which is missing because of uninstalling), I don't see anything in the screenshot you posted that would indicate such a Windows key change (if that's even possible, since it's normally reserved by the Windows operating system).

What I believe a solution would look like is, assuming you did actually uninstall JaxCore beforehand, to search for that ValliStart.ahk or any other JaxCore leftover files on your drive and skins folder and simply delete them (optionally, temporarily uninstall AutoHotKey, if you have it installed). If such scripts or tools start with Windows by any chance, removing them and / or possibly disable them from your starting programs or the Windows TaskScheduler should get rid of their effects too (like the message you took a screenshot of, for example). Hopefully, among the results of this process, your Windows key will start behaving again. A Windows restart after doing the above would probably help as well.

Other than that, if the above doesn't work, you can try contacting Jax, the author, either here on this forum through a PM or such, or on Deviantart.com, and see if he has a better idea of what happened and how to solve it. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth