It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:56 pm

Completly LOCK Rainmeter from Editing?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Deraged

Completly LOCK Rainmeter from Editing?

Post by Deraged »

First of all i don't know if this is the right place to post this, but i think :P

So here is my question;

I'm running a Windows Server 2008 R2 where i plan to make an Tablet version of the server to my clients via Terminal Services.
First off the main problem / my question is; is there any way that you can completly lock the theme you've edited?

The thing i want to achieve is that my clients do NOT have any possibility to edit or change the theme, but i have searched around in the forum and couldn't find any thing.
I know how i can set up this solution and atleast make it work. The only problem is finding out a way to completely deny editing of the theme.
Because when the clients do have the chance to edit the theme, then there is no point in setting up such an solution.

I'm not really into LUA scripting and do not have any experience with it, but maybe it is possible via scripting?
Anyways if it is an possibility to ONLY make Administrators have possibility of editing the theme, then it would be great!
If that is possible, that's just what i need or make an option so editing is only visible to Administrators / block it from some users.

Kind Regards - Deraged :)
smurfier

Re: Completly LOCK Rainmeter from Editing?

Post by smurfier »

What you ask is not really possible in Rainmeter as it's meant to allow the user to change anything they want.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
wrayc

Post by wrayc »

kind of a deal breaker for some

I had the same question myself

its simply a matter of basic functionality really

a lock feature that can be turned on and off

Most of my smartphone UI's have it

hope this is corrected soon

other wise I love the software
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

While Rainmeter does not have that feature built in, you might accomplish the same thing, I have unintentionally done it in the past without meaning to.
A couple things I ran across might help.
You could try:
set the skins to click through
set mouse handlers in the skins to do nothing, or only the actions you want.
cover the entire skin with an almost transparent meter that blocks the mouse actions you don't want the user to gain access to.
Use the #@# directory or a shared directory on the sever where the ini's are stored and set the privileges to restrict the users to read only.

I think you can accomplish what you want, but you will have to use a back door to get there.
drescherjm

Post by drescherjm »

Is this still the method to lockdown editing? I want to make a quick launcher for a research medical imaging viewing station where it is important that no one (but me) can accidently move or change the settings at all.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

drescherjm wrote: July 24th, 2023, 3:35 pm Is this still the method to lockdown editing? I want to make a quick launcher for a research medical imaging viewing station where it is important that no one (but me) can accidently move or change the settings at all.
Practically there is no way to completely lock a Rainmeter skin from editing. Even if the described method can more or less be used to achieve a some kind of lock, a user who know what to do will be able to edit it.
No way to completely prevent a user to can edit the skin.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

drescherjm wrote: July 24th, 2023, 3:35 pm Is this still the method to lockdown editing? I want to make a quick launcher for a research medical imaging viewing station where it is important that no one (but me) can accidently move or change the settings at all.
There is NO method to lockdown editing at all. Even if you could protect various files or folders from being changed (e.g. folder permissions, making files read-only, etc.) to make settings on skin load stay the same, anyone can press CTRL to manipulate a Rainmeter skin (e.g. move it, perform whatever default mouse actions on it, and so on). In other words, you can only give the impression of things that wouldn't change, because anyone with a reasonable Rainmeter or Windows knowledge can bypass them (cause they are meant to be available for change to the user in the first place).

That being said, I doubt that your hypothetical Rainmeter launcher skin would have to be locked in any way (even though you could, for example, launch another application only when certain conditions are met), because, after all, it would only be a launcher. My guess is that you'd like to "lock" the things you launch (i.e. your medical imaging software) so that their settings can only be changed by you. That would be a different story.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
drescherjm

Post by drescherjm »

Thanks for the replies. I will test a little.

If it does not work the way I want I will go back to searching but at the same time I could spend 30 minutes and create my own launcher app.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

drescherjm wrote: July 25th, 2023, 6:54 pm I will go back to searching but at the same time I could spend 30 minutes and create my own launcher app.
Yep, you can and you even get help if you ask for here, but still saying there is no way to lock down neither the skin, nor its settings in a way that no one could alter them.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

drescherjm wrote: July 25th, 2023, 6:54 pm Thanks for the replies. I will test a little.

If it does not work the way I want I will go back to searching but at the same time I could spend 30 minutes and create my own launcher app.
Good idea - I like folks that don't take no for an answer, and the best way to convince someone is to let that person try stuff on his own. Just curious though, what exactly do you want the skin to not being able to do? Maybe it's not really about not letting someone else do this and that and more about doing things in a certain way. If it's still about not letting someone else do something though, I suggest some Windows account lock instead (obviously, protected by a password and such) - that way you wouldn't have to worry about changing a skin's settings, assuming you remember to lock your account when you need to. Ideally, your account should be the only one present on the computer, since one could, for example, run / load some account's stuff from another account.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth