It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:45 pm

Skins Utilizing Afterburner Plugin do not function

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Nolan71

Skins Utilizing Afterburner Plugin do not function

Post by Nolan71 »

Hello Rainmeter forum!
TL;DR - Any skin that uses Afterburner plugin displays 0s for everything
Been using Rainmeter since 2018/19, and have created some of my own skins.
-----The Background-----
I have been looking to replace NZXT CAM by creating a few skins that display all the key info that I want but I am stuck.

I wanted to display GPU Usage, so I began researching what plugin I should use. After some searching, I landed on Afterburner. I already use the application and it is constantly running in the background on my PC. I loaded up a few different skins to get a feel for what some people have done to see if I could find something that I like to mirror into my own skin.
-----The Issue-----
Every skin I loaded just gave me zeros! For every measure, no matter the skin, they all just gave me zeros. My frustration quickly turned into problem-solving mode.
-----The Troubleshooting-----
Here are all the boring info and specs:
Software:
Windows 10 21H2
Afterburner 4.6.4.16255
Rivatuner 7.3.3
Rainmeter 4.5.17.37
Afterburner Plugin 2.0
Hardware:
Ryzen 7 7700x
x670e Motherboard
RTX 3070ti

I of course started my troubleshooting journey by googling but found very little in regard to my specific issue. Some people having issues with unsupported hardware (Vega GPUs and Laptop GPUs), and others had issues with their version of Rainmeter. But nothing that matched my specific issue.
After my google-fu failed I began trying things on my own:
Quickly ruled out the skins being the issue by testing on my wife's PC
Re-installed Afterburner and Rivatuner
Re-installed Rainmeter
Ran Afterburner and Rainmeter as admin
Tried both 32 and 64-bit offerings of the plugin.
Checked the logs in Rainmeter (no errors)

-----The Plea for Help-----
At this point, I am stumped, has anyone run into this issue before? Any help or troubleshooting tips would be magically helpful!
I am currently using the very simple skin from the post of the Afterburner Plugin: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rainmeter-plugin-for-msi-afterburner.319558/
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Skins Utilizing Afterburner Plugin do not function

Post by Yincognito »

Nolan71 wrote: May 19th, 2023, 10:31 pmHere are all the boring info and specs:
Software:
Windows 10 21H2
Afterburner 4.6.4.16255
Rivatuner 7.3.3
Rainmeter 4.5.17.37
Afterburner Plugin 2.0
Hardware:
Ryzen 7 7700x
x670e Motherboard
RTX 3070ti
I'm on Windows 10 21H1, the same MSI AB / RTSS / Rainmeter version, BUT the 1,2,0,0 version of the plugin (yes, it uses commas instead of dots, a bit confusing when it comes to the versioning there) and everything I use works. I'm on a Ryzen 5 5600H, HP motherboard, AMD Radeon RX Vega 6 (integrated) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (discrete) video card on a HP Pavilion 15 laptop. I suspect that the reason why it's not working for you might be either because you (or that skin) use the "older" / "initial" DataSource option in the measures instead of the "newer" GPU / SourceId combo of options, because of the plugin version, or both (since they are connected).

Here is an MSI Afterburner test skin for you - scroll to navigate your GPUs...
Skin:
MSI AB_1.0.0.rmskin
Code:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
UpdateAll=[!SetVariable Index (([#MaxIndex]+[#Index][#Direction]1)%[#MaxIndex])][!UpdateMeasure *][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]
RefreshAll=[!WriteKeyValue Variables Index (([#MaxIndex]+[#Index][#Direction]1)%[#MaxIndex])][!Refresh]
Direction=0
MaxIndex=4
Index=0

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

---Measures---

[GPU0DisplayName]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=MSIAfterburner.dll
GPU=#Index#
GPUDescriptor=DisplayName
DynamicVariables=1

[GPU0CoreClock]
Measure=Plugin
GPU=#Index#
SourceId=32
DynamicVariables=1

[GPU0Usage]
Measure=Plugin
GPU=#Index#
SourceId=48
DynamicVariables=1

[GPU0MemoryClock]
Measure=Plugin
GPU=#Index#
SourceId=34
DynamicVariables=1

[GPU0MemoryUsage]
Measure=Plugin
GPU=#Index#
SourceId=49
DynamicVariables=1

[GPU0Temp]
Measure=Plugin
GPU=#Index#
SourceId=0
DynamicVariables=1

---Meters---

[Result]
Meter=String
FontFace=Consolas
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,128
Padding=5,5,5,5
FontSize=16
AntiAlias=1
MeasureName=GPU0DisplayName
MeasureName2=GPU0CoreClock
MeasureName3=GPU0Usage
MeasureName4=GPU0MemoryClock
MeasureName5=GPU0MemoryUsage
MeasureName6=GPU0Temp
Text=GPU Number #Index##CRLF#Display Name : %1#CRLF#Core Clock   : %2 MHz#CRLF#Core Usage   : %3 %#CRLF#Memory Clock : %4 Mhz#CRLF#Memory Usage : %5 MB#CRLF#Temperature  : %6 °C
MouseScrollUpAction=[!SetVariable Direction "-"][#RefreshAll]
MouseScrollDownAction=[!SetVariable Direction "+"][#RefreshAll]
DynamicVariables=1
Preview:
MSI AB.jpg
Let me know if this solves the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yincognito on May 28th, 2023, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Nolan71

Post by Nolan71 »

Well, whaddya know! By gosh that did it. Thank you so incredibly much!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Nolan71 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 1:54 am Well, whaddya know! By gosh that did it. Thank you so incredibly much!
No problem - enjoy! :great:
BubuBear

Post by BubuBear »

Hi all,
sry to bother u but i'm trying to figure it out. Installed MS AB/ riva ... enabled framerate etc etc and it works like a charm under Aida64 but i cannot measure my FP under ANY and i mean ANY skin / script of rainmeter. Always give me 0 FPS. I'm Using Dll 2.0 of the plugin and cannot find 1.2 anywhere to test it out.

Even using your Skin test the result is the same: 0 everywhere. Any help?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

BubuBear wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 11:45 am Hi all,
sry to bother u but i'm trying to figure it out. Installed MS AB/ riva ... enabled framerate etc etc and it works like a charm under Aida64 but i cannot measure my FP under ANY and i mean ANY skin / script of rainmeter. Always give me 0 FPS. I'm Using Dll 2.0 of the plugin and cannot find 1.2 anywhere to test it out.

Even using your Skin test the result is the same: 0 everywhere. Any help?
If neither the test skin here, nor the test skin here (that has a [MeasureFramerate] which can be used by setting MeasureName=MeasureFramerate in any of the [...Value] meters) work, then there could be various reasons why it doesn't.

To simplify things, let's forget for a moment about Rainmeter or its skins. Is the Framerate checked to show in OSD from the Monitoring tab in MSI AB's Setttings? Does the FPS show in Riva Tuner's "skin" when in a D3D game and pressing the hotkey to toggle the OSD (which you can set from the On-Screen Display tab in MSI AB's Settings)? In other words, does MSI AB / RTSS itself display the FPS once you set it to do so and you're in a D3D game or software that would trigger the FPS to be above 0? If you set things correctly and these things work, then the problem is with either the Rainmeter skin or the plugin. If they don't work, then you either set things incorrectly, expect the FPS to be non zero in desktop mode (which will almost never happen), or your hardware isn't being supported by MSI AB (yet). There is also the possibility that you don't have the proper drivers for your GPU and such installed, of course.