It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:29 am

Binary Coded Digital Clock

Clocks and timer skins
NuttyMonk

Binary Coded Digital Clock

Post by NuttyMonk »

Hi all,

i made this skin a long time ago (2009) but found it again when i was looking through my old Rainmeter stuff. So i thought i'd share it. I used to have it up on my DeviantART site but i have since deleted that so it is no longer available there.
BCD screen 2.jpg
Here is the readme file although some of the info is out of date.
-----------------------------------------------------
Binary Clock for Rainmeter by NuttyMonk (John Irving)
-----------------------------------------------------
http://nuttymonk.deviantart.com
-------------------------------

This isn't a True Binary Clock but is, instead, a Binary Coded Digital Clock or BCD Clock.

A BCD Clock takes the digits which make up the time (e.g. 11:36:41) and turns them into a binary representation of those digits.

For an extensive look at reading BCD Clocks and True Binary Clocks have a look at the following link...

http://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Binary-Clock

If you've read the article at WikiHow, you should be able to understand how BCD clocks work. What i've done, is to take the binary values which make up each digit and put them into a single box. The smallest box in each digit represents a 1, the next larger box represents a 2, the next a 4 and the last one represents an 8.

The boxes are in 3 rows of 2. The top row represents the hours digits, the next row the minutes digits and the last row represents the seconds digits.

I've been using different variations of BCD clocks for a couple of weeks now and i'm very surprised at how easy it is to read the time on them when you get used to reading the binary coded digital. I am now able to read a BCD clock at the same speed as a normal clock and i think they look far more interesting. Problems reading a BCD clock are only apparent now when i'm drunk :-)

------------
Installation
------------

Extract the Binary Clock folder into your Rainmeter 'skins' folder which is usually located at "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\", restart Rainmeter, finally load the Binary Clock config file in Rainmeter.

Hope you like this.

Enjoy!

NuttyMonk
Cheers

NM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Binary Coded Digital Clock

Post by Yincognito »

NuttyMonk wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:28 pmi made this skin a long time ago (2009) but found it again when i was looking through my old Rainmeter stuff. So i thought i'd share it.
Interesting concept, nice design - thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
NuttyMonk

Post by NuttyMonk »

Yeah, i'm surprised it still works on the latest version of Rainmeter. :)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

NuttyMonk wrote: May 6th, 2023, 4:16 pm Yeah, i'm surprised it still works on the latest version of Rainmeter. :)
Why wouldn't it? Rainmeter is backward compatible.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth