It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:05 pm

Simple Text Marquee

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
LuciferVisuals

Re: Simple Text Marquee

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: May 1st, 2023, 8:05 pm Not sure if it's the best way to do it, [\quote}

Me neither, I'll try with your suggestions tomorrow, I have had so much fun today I have a headache, atm
Yeah I activated it in the code at the end of the star wars code; So its activated, and in the same line I positioned it on top, so you would see it, I'm stuck on positioning it exactly where I want it in relation to the rest of the graphics, (the oracle and star field etc) basically want to put this set of credits exactly where the star wars animation previously was.

This doesn't start until that finishes, but I got that sorted, it's literally just positioning it.

I'll have a look, and then consider what you wrote with a fresh mind tomorrow.

Thanks, for the input.

Keith

Ps did you find my twinkling star field and the new star wars animation? If you did let me know what you thought, if not, I wont mention again.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

LuciferVisuals wrote: May 1st, 2023, 9:31 pmPs did you find my twinkling star field and the new star wars animation?
If you're talking about the code and the images you posted here, then yes. They look and behave nicely - good job. I would have probably done the twinkling differently than you did since if you look carefully you can at times see that there are different colors "under" the stars (instead of shades of light to make their brightness variate more or less randomly), but if you're happy with it, it's all good. :thumbup:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: May 1st, 2023, 8:05 pm
Right I had (after revising syntax, which worked perfectly, but was not exactly correct, thanks for tip)

Code: Select all

IfTrueAction=[!DisableMeasure "#CURRENTSECTION#"][!DeactivateConfig "Stargates\Credits"][!ActivateConfig "Stargates\Credits"][!SetAnchor "100" "100" "Stargates\Credits" ][!ZPos "2" "Stargates\Credits"][!Redraw]
This loads the second skin (credits) perfectly, but does not fix its position relative to the first (Starwars) skin
I revised this to use your suggestion so now it's

IfTrueAction=[!DisableMeasure "#CURRENTSECTION#"][!DeactivateConfig "Stargates\Credits"][!ActivateConfig "Stargates\Credits"][!SetWindowPosition (#CURRENTCONFIGX#) (#CURRENTCONFIGY#+#CURRENTCONFIGHEIGHT#) "Stargates\Credits"][!ZPos "2" "Stargates\Credits"][!Redraw]
The result appears identical, works perfectly, but still does not fix position of second skin relative to first.

So I'm, guessing your afterthought is correct and that

[!Move (#CURRENTCONFIGX#) (#CURRENTCONFIGY#+#CURRENTCONFIGHEIGHT#) "Stargates\Credits"]
is indeed needed?

I followed your link to it in the dreaded manual (LOL) but was not sure where to put this. I assume in the second skin, (Credits)

But I'm not sure exactly where it should go, also not entirely convinced it will fix the relative position of the two, but more than willing to give it a go, and will be over the moon to be shown my doubts were unfounded.

Keith
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

LuciferVisuals wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 11:14 amSo I'm, guessing your afterthought is correct
Yes, it is. This should come in place of [!SetAnchor ...] / [!SetWindowPosition ...] part. This will move the other skin at that position, BUT will do it just one time. If you want to provide some kind of "permanence" and "fluency" to it, then you'll have to perform this movement (not necessarily the skin activation) in a measure that is updated on a fast basis, for as long as you want it to. As mentioned, this can be achieved either by changing the skin update rate (while taking care to add UpdateDivider-s to elements you want to be updated less often), or by using an ActionTimer measure for the process.

P.S. These things should be discussed in a specific thread dedicated to the issue - derailing other threads to more or less off topic issues isn't exactly productive, if you know what I mean (though I also participated to some of these occurrences over the years). ;-)
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 11:23 am
First I stand corrected, the two versions I sent you do not produce "identical" results, Your revision fixes where the new "credits" appears, which by coincidence is in exactly the same position as in my version, but mine does not actually place it there, it just happens to be where it last appeared... So I stand corrected on that.

[quote}
Yes, it is. This should come in place of [!SetAnchor ...] / [!SetWindowPosition ...] part.
[/quote]

Good, that's where I put it.
while taking care to add UpdateDivider-s to elements you want to be updated less often), or by using an ActionTimer measure for the process.
Actually, I will really look into that, because I think its the update issue that stops these two different codes working together
in the first place, so I might be able to make them work together by simply using an update divider, I hadn't thought of that, and thus be able to prevent the need to do this, which would be a better solution. See still making beginners mistakes lol.

P.S. These things should be discussed in a specific thread dedicated to the issue - derailing other threads to more or less off topic issues isn't exactly productive, if you know what I mean (though I also participated to some of these occurrences over the years). ;-)
Sorry no Idea, I'll try and work it out later, I understand the concept of one discussion being about one thing, (but only recently realized that), but basically I thought I had just been replying to whatever has been posted to me, and I thought I was replying to it wherever it turned up. I will try and work out what I'm doing wrong a bit later, I'm too focused on this issue atm. So sorry if this is in the wrong place. But am unclear where it should go, so where should it go?

Actually, if you could do me a favor and reply to this where this discussion should be (even if nothing new to add) then that will put it back in the right place, I assume? Then I'll have to simply watch out that I don't move things in future.

Keith
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

LuciferVisuals wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 12:11 pmActually, I will really look into that, because I think its the update issue that stops these two different codes working together in the first place, so I might be able to make them work together by simply using an update divider, I hadn't thought of that, and thus be able to prevent the need to do this, which would be a better solution. See still making beginners mistakes lol.
Yep. First you need to figure out how you want the 2nd (credits) skin to be positioned in relation to the 1st (star wars), e.g. right under it, on top of it, etc. Secondly, you need to figure out for how long to do it, e.g. indefinitely, for a specific amount of time, controlled by a button or some "as long as ..." condition, etc. Third, you need to figure out at what frequency you'd like to do that, e.g. once every second for a more resource friendly but less smooth adjustment, or once every couple of millseconds for a less resource friendly but smoother movement (something like at which FPS you want it to happen). What you revealed by now doesn't answer any of these 3 questions, but it's their answer that will determine the implementation.
LuciferVisuals wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 12:11 pmSo sorry if this is in the wrong place. But am unclear where it should go, so where should it go? Actually, if you could do me a favor and reply to this where this discussion should be (even if nothing new to add) then that will put it back in the right place, I assume?
No need for apologies, we all do this from time to time. What I meant was more of a "for the future" (non mandatory, but good to follow) recommendation, since what's done is done by now. For things like these that are already done there's not much you can do and would require a developer to move the said part of the discussion to a new thread. For such things that may happen in the future, the solution is simple: creating a new topic, probably in the Rainmeter Skins section of the forum since it's about making the skin.

Of course, for you, the subjects are related since it's about the same project, so it can go in a, say, "Stargate skin questions" topic (or whatever you want to call it) where you could talk about a wide range of subjects from animation to skin movement and such in that project. Or, the questions can be "grouped" into more topics depending on what you're asking (e.g. animation, skin movement, conditionals, etc). Choosing one way or another depends on how you're more comfortable, but whatever the method, you can freely mention topics or posts related to your question via links, e.g. "hey, I saw here a marquee approach that I like, how to adapt it to my case of this and that, where the code is this and that, etc". This way, the linked topic isn't affected (if the subjects are fundamentally different, of course), while you can still communicate the issue without any drawback.
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 1:21 pm
I'll read and study all your wise words later.

BECAUSE ........ I HAVE DONE IT !!!! Job Done :thumbup: Just some tidying up and house keeping :great:

Did you keep those images I sent you?

Ideally I would like you to see this entire part, in all it's glory, lol, but you need as a minimum the starfield and starwars animation, otherwise you wont see what I have done......

There is a surprise for you..... :lol: and its 8-) if I say so myself.

Keith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 1:21 pm
And please continue to point out anything I'm doing wrong, otherwise I'll continue doing it wrong :oops:

Keith
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

LuciferVisuals wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 6:19 pm I'll read and study all your wise words later.

BECAUSE ........ I HAVE DONE IT !!!! Job Done :thumbup: Just some tidying up and house keeping :great:

Did you keep those images I sent you?

Ideally I would like you to see this entire part, in all it's glory, lol, but you need as a minimum the starfield and starwars animation, otherwise you wont see what I have done......

There is a surprise for you..... :lol: and its 8-) if I say so myself.
I'm sure it's absolutely glorious, oh glorious one! Your glorious words certainly irradiate all its glory! :lol:
But no, I didn't keep the images. If they're the same as here, then it's no big deal to download them again (assuming you have the code for them).
LuciferVisuals wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 6:46 pmAnd please continue to point out anything I'm doing wrong, otherwise I'll continue doing it wrong :oops:
I'm sure you'll continue doing it even if I do. :sly: I can even take out a vacation now that you've done it all by yourself. :great:
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 7:00 pm I'm sure it's absolutely glorious, oh glorious one! Your glorious words certainly irradiate all its glory! :lol:
But no, I didn't keep the images. If they're the same as here, then it's no big deal to download them again (assuming you have the code for them).

I'm sure you'll continue doing it even if I do. :sly: I can even take out a vacation now that you've done it all by yourself. :great:
They may have changed a bit but I'm sure they will do.

Please do me a favor......... Watch it first before looking at the code of it will spoil the surprise, you have to wait about 3 or four seconds after the star wars animation for the surprise...... so don't be too impatient, oh wise one.

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.