It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:27 pm

[BUG] High Resource Usage and Non-functional skins

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Abanar

Re: [BUG] High Resource Usage and Non-functional skins

Post by Abanar »

Thank you guys for the help and suggestions. I am currently updating and checking all of my drivers. I will leave Rainmeter running tonight with no skins and see if I am still getting the high usage from it in the morning.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Abanar wrote: April 18th, 2023, 2:03 pm Thank you guys for the help and suggestions. I am currently updating and checking all of my drivers. I will leave Rainmeter running tonight with no skins and see if I am still getting the high usage from it in the morning.
Fingers crossed... :sly:
Abanar

Post by Abanar »

So I updated everything on my computer, unloaded all of my skins, killed any background systems that rainmeter was running outside of itself, and left it overnight with monitors off. When I came in this morning and turned on my monitors, I checked rainmeter and it was using about 12-15% of the CPU, but on a positive note was only using about 750MB.

Wanting to test things, as soon as I loaded my normal skins, they started flashing as if Rainmeter was trying to refresh them constantly. (this is super weird to me because the skins that are flashing to 100% and then my set 50% transparency are buttons that do not refresh at all, and only perform an action when clicked. The skins that have monitoring or movement, ie. clock, are not flashing or refreshing regularly - this is the first time that only a set of skins didnt act weird)

I checked the Rainmeter logs, and I have no errors.

Computer Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 5700
48GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060

Button Skin Code example:

Code: Select all

[Vivaldi]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\Vivaldi.png
H=50
LeftMouseUpAction=["C:\Users\[USERNAME REDACTED]\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe"]
[Metadata]
Name=Vivaldi Browser
Author=[REDACTED]
Information=Launches Vivaldi Browser
Last edited by balala on April 19th, 2023, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use <code> tags whenever are posting codes. It's the </> button.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Abanar wrote: April 19th, 2023, 12:53 pmSo I updated everything on my computer, unloaded all of my skins, killed any background systems that rainmeter was running outside of itself, and left it overnight with monitors off. When I came in this morning and turned on my monitors, I checked rainmeter and it was using about 12-15% of the CPU, but on a positive note was only using about 750MB.
That's still not good, less memory used might be the effect of killing stuff beforehand. Just curious, does the above still happens if you appropriately set the system to Turn Off The Display after some time from the Power Options in Control Panel? Or if you choose to put the system to Sleep (non-hybrid one)? Cause if so, then I might try to replicate the issue on my laptop and see if I can figure out the cause and / or the solution, if any (assuming all those settings are the same between computers). Of course, you already have the other computer that deals with it perfectly fine, as per your description, so it's a long shot, but still... :confused:

I'm on an AMD Ryzen 5 5600H, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX Vega 6 (integrated, 512 MB) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (discrete, 4 GB).
Abanar

Post by Abanar »

I will give that a try tonight. My standard since it is a tower is to leave the system awake at all times and just turn the monitors off, but I will test letting the computer go to sleep tonight and see what happens in the morning.

It does confuse me that one system works fine and the other doesn't. Is it possible that there was some type of install error and uninstalling Rainmeter and deleting all the related files and starting from scratch could fix it?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Abanar wrote: April 19th, 2023, 3:25 pmIt does confuse me that one system works fine and the other doesn't. Is it possible that there was some type of install error and uninstalling Rainmeter and deleting all the related files and starting from scratch could fix it?
Yeah, if one does and the other doesn't, then generally the problem is on the one that doesn't. An installation thing is unlikely, but doesn't hurt to try and install it cleanly again (after you backup your skins somewhere, if needed, of course). I always prefer clean installs on everything, and it shows - I know plenty of folks who don't approach it like this and things become a bit messy on their systems, all kinds of surprises I don't have. :confused:
Abanar

Post by Abanar »

Ok, so I let the system put itself to sleep after 5 hours last night. This morning, I turned my monitors on and woke it up and so far no issues.

So...I guess my new question is, what happens while the system is sitting idle for about 12 hours that causes Rainmeter to start acting up?

I am going to uninstall and reinstall everything and test not letting it sleep just to see what happens. I am not happy with letting my computer sleep because it plays havoc with a few of my settings, but if that is what I have to do, then I will work on those settings that get changed on wakeup.

At least I have a solution to this, I just wish I knew what the issue was.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Abanar wrote: April 20th, 2023, 12:52 pm Ok, so I let the system put itself to sleep after 5 hours last night. This morning, I turned my monitors on and woke it up and so far no issues.

So...I guess my new question is, what happens while the system is sitting idle for about 12 hours that causes Rainmeter to start acting up?

I am going to uninstall and reinstall everything and test not letting it sleep just to see what happens. I am not happy with letting my computer sleep because it plays havoc with a few of my settings, but if that is what I have to do, then I will work on those settings that get changed on wakeup.

At least I have a solution to this, I just wish I knew what the issue was.
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was busier than usual today.

Good, you have an alternative (though I can't imagine what havoc in the settings you're referring to, I never had the sleep mess with any setting whatsoever, but then I do keep tight control on things on my system so maybe that's one of the differences). Again, not sure if you can on your computer, but I'd also try to let Windows turn off the display automatically after some time, instead of turning it off and on manually (as an alternative to sleeping and the havoc thingy), as I'm curious if that makes a (positive) difference.

That being said, just because you turn off the monitor doesn't mean the system is technically "sitting idle", in fact, unless the other devices are turned off as well, it NEVER does. There is always something going on in your system (e.g. HDD defrags or SSD trims, AV background scans, registry saving, search indexer updating its info, other background programs or services doing their "maintenance", scheduled tasks running, etc.), irrespective if the monitor is turned off or not, and so is Rainmeter (updating your skins, possibly redrawing them, etc.), so maybe that plays a part in the issue you have. Rainmeter does have some built-in variables related to the monitor(s), but I'm not sure they are a reason for this, it looks more like a CPU / memory leak somewhere or some things that keep accumulating during that time (I'd be curious to see whether the period between turning off and on your monitor is proportional with the increase in CPU and memory usage, for example).

Personally, I rarely, if any, let the computer on for a long time, and if I do, it either goes sleeping automatically as per my power settings, or I use the options in the software I let working to shut it down automatically when done with their job. I can't recall if I had such a problem with Rainmeter at any time, and if I did and don't remember, it most likely only happened once or similar.