It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:24 pm

Rainmeter crashed

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter crashed

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 5:42 pm and LeftMouseUpAction=["C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe"] to run it
Note that if Rainmeter has to be run, it is closed, so the above option can't be used.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 5:53 pm Note that if Rainmeter has to be run, it is closed, so the above option can't be used.
Ah, yes, indeed. Thanks for the correction. Some one click plain shortcut would do then. :thumbup:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
ChronoWerX

Post by ChronoWerX »

2 weeks later I can see that the problem is on start fullscreen apps like games, too.

Every time ist the MMDevAPI.DLL as error.

I used all solutions but nothing helps.

Some PC specs: Radeon 6750XT newest driver, resolution 2560x1440 and I think the resolution is the problem
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ChronoWerX wrote: April 13th, 2023, 12:24 pm 2 weeks later I can see that the problem is on start fullscreen apps like games, too.

Every time ist the MMDevAPI.DLL as error.

I used all solutions but nothing helps.

Some PC specs: Radeon 6750XT newest driver, resolution 2560x1440 and I think the resolution is the problem
I'm sure a solution is possible, but unfortunately neither me and probably nor the others posting in this thread have the device(s) that you have in order to be able to find such a solution, so all we can do at this point is to speculate... :confused:
ChronoWerX

Post by ChronoWerX »

No without using the switch I have the problem
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ChronoWerX wrote: April 13th, 2023, 5:09 pm No without using the switch I have the problem
Ah, I see. So your Rainmeter crashes when entering Game Mode? If so, and a solution to this is found, maybe it will solve the switch problem too. Personally, and the vast majority of Rainmeter users, don't have any issue or crash when entering Game Mode, so that's strange, to say the least.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Sorry for a lack of response from the developer team. I'll be honest, it's a little difficult to fully understand what is causing the issue and what actions have been taken to narrow down the issue.

Normally, the first step would be to identify what "part" of Rainmeter is causing the issue (or even if it is Rainmeter). Basically, we need to narrow down the issue and determine if it is coming from the main Rainmeter application, a skin (or set of skins), or something loaded from a skin. Another cause could be a 3rd party application (or Windows itself).

However, in this case, the module MMDevAPI.dll is where the fault is coming from. This file is part of the Windows operating system - BUT, it does not mean the "actual" problem is within that module. Let's try to fix this file if there is a problem with it.

The first thing I would try is to "repair" any of your Windows 11 system files. Run the following commands.
  1. Open an elevated command prompt. You need administrator rights to run the following commands.
  2. Run this command first: sfc /scannow You may need to reboot your machine after this command finishes.
  3. Then run this command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  4. Reboot your machine.
That should fix any issues with MMDevAPI.dll (if there are any). Try running Rainmeter normally and see if this fixes your issue.

If the problem persists, then we need to find out which skin (or skins) are at fault. MMDevAPI.dll is loaded in two default plugins related to audio (Win7AudioPlugin and AudioLevel), so let's start there.

The very first thing to do is turn on logging and debug mode.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#Logging
Restart Rainmeter after checking both checkboxes, so we can start with a clean log.

The next thing to do is to make sure the default illustro skins run without any issue (assuming you didn't manually edit them). The best way to do this is to use Rainmeter Safe Start. Just hold down the CTRL key down when starting Rainmeter. Your current layout will be saved as @Backup (in case you want to load it later).

Let Rainmeter run for a while, and try to do all the things that made it crash before. At this point, if Rainmeter crashes with the MMDevAPI.dll module, then the problem is most likely outside of Rainmeter. This could mean an underlying problem with that module, or worse, Windows 11 itself. The nuclear option of re-installing Windows 11 might be your best bet at this point.

If no crash happens with the default illustro skins, then I would suggest unloading everything again, and try loading one of your previous skins one at a time (no more than one skin loaded at a time) to try find the offending skin. Start with any skin that use any of the default plugins listed above. Then try any skin that uses a 3rd party plugin. This may take a lot of time to narrow down the issue since it isn't clear what exact actions cause the issue.

If a crash happens, please upload your log file and the skin itself (use the rmskin packager so we all have access to any resources your skin uses).

-Brian
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Before trying what Brian advised above, since the DLL is related to audio, you might want to try and disable Allow Applications To Take Exclusive Control Of The Device (if by any chance these checkboxes are enabled) from the sound control panels of your relevant audio devices... just in case this has an influence on things. Disabling any other sound effects that could involve (resident) 3rd party "audio apps" that enhance what the main audio driver outputs might help as well. Of course, a restart after doing those will tell you better if a positive effect was achieved.
ChronoWerX

Post by ChronoWerX »

Now 10 days with testings.

Start rainmeter in logging in debug mode with illustro. All works. Activated one by one parts of my skin collection from SilverAzide.

With first works, second, third and so on. Now since 5 days, all of my 5 skins working without a problem.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ChronoWerX wrote: April 24th, 2023, 7:11 am Now 10 days with testings.

Start rainmeter in logging in debug mode with illustro. All works. Activated one by one parts of my skin collection from SilverAzide.

With first works, second, third and so on. Now since 5 days, all of my 5 skins working without a problem.
That's great! Any idea what "fixed" the issue you previously had?