It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:29 am

Rainmeter crashed

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
ChronoWerX

Re: Rainmeter crashed

Post by ChronoWerX »

balala wrote: March 31st, 2023, 3:14 pm Sorry, but I hardly can follow you. Do you have the screen turned off then when you turn it on, Rainmeter crashes? How the screen is turned off: by Windows Turn off display feature, or manually?
Correct, when I turned it on, Rainmeter crashes
Yincognito wrote: March 31st, 2023, 4:53 pm
1. What's the name and brand of your USB switch?
2. Do you use two displays (one for each computer) or just one (connected to both computers via HDMI and Display Port)?
3. Does the crash happen if you have no skins loaded in Rainmeter?
a) if yes, is there another way to switch besides the button on the USB switch?
b) if no, which skin is loaded in Rainmeter when it crashes?
1. UGREEN USB Switch 2PC USB 3.0 Switcher
2. One display, notebook connected HDMI, PC DisplayPort
3. No, I have alle the time skins loaded
a) -
b) SilverAzide (Chronometer, All CPU Meter, GPU Meter, Network Meter, Drives Meter, Weather Meter)

The monitor isn't connected with a switch
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

ChronoWerX wrote: March 31st, 2023, 5:42 pm Correct, when I turned it on, Rainmeter crashes
:o To be honest I can't say anything and am extremely surprised. :o I'd say this can't heppen, but obviously I'm missing something. :o But have no idea what is going on there, can't say anything. Sorry... :o
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ChronoWerX wrote: March 31st, 2023, 5:42 pm1. UGREEN USB Switch 2PC USB 3.0 Switcher
2. One display, notebook connected HDMI, PC DisplayPort
3. No, I have alle the time skins loaded
a) -
b) SilverAzide (Chronometer, All CPU Meter, GPU Meter, Network Meter, Drives Meter, Weather Meter)

The monitor isn't connected with a switch
Thanks, that's helpful - so you have a similar USB switch as the guy in the first YouTube video I linked to earlier. Two more questions to clarify things...
1. How do you set your monitor to the input corresponding to the other computer (i.e. HDMI to DP or viceversa) before pushing the USB switch button?
a) you use the buttons on the monitor do do it (the guy in the video uses a remote for that, but that's not important)
b) you turn off the monitor, push the USB switch button, then turn on the monitor again
2. Try to unload all skins from Rainmeter (or start it with no skins loaded) on both computers and make the switch like you usually do. Does Rainmeter still crash?
a) yes
b) no
Last edited by Yincognito on March 31st, 2023, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:28 pm :o To be honest I can't say anything and am extremely surprised. :o I'd say this can't heppen, but obviously I'm missing something. :o But have no idea what is going on there, can't say anything. Sorry... :o
He basically needs to either turn off his monitor, make the switch, then turn it back on, or set his monitor via its buttons to use either HDMI or Display Port before making the switch. Both of these probably remove the monitor from being used by Rainmeter (at least temporarily), which could be a cause for the crash. It's like when you start to write something on a paper but I quickly remove the paper from under your pen and then move it back on: your pen will leave a nasty trail on the paper because of that. Replace the paper with the monitor and the pen with Rainmeter and you get the idea. At least that's what I think it happens... :???:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 31st, 2023, 7:03 pm Replace the paper with the monitor and the pen with Rainmeter and you get the idea. At least that's what I think it happens... :???:
You might be right, but I can't imagine such a thing...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 31st, 2023, 7:20 pm You might be right, but I can't imagine such a thing...
Yeah, well, devices today do all kinds of things that could not be done in the past (you remember our discussion about how the impossible becomes possible sooner or later), so our imagination must keep up the pace with that, even if not everyone owns or needs such devices. Neither I can accurately imagine how it would be to drive the most recent Ferrari model, but that doesn't stop me from understanding the principle or having ideas to make it better. :lol:
ChronoWerX

Post by ChronoWerX »

Yincognito wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:53 pm Thanks, that's helpful - so you have a similar USB switch as the guy in the first YouTube video I linked to earlier. Two more questions to clarify things...
1. How do you set your monitor to the input corresponding to the other computer (i.e. HDMI to DP or viceversa) before pushing the USB switch button?
a) you use the buttons on the monitor do do it (the guy in the video uses a remote for that, but that's not important)
b) you turn off the monitor, push the USB switch button, then turn on the monitor again
2. Try to unload all skins from Rainmeter (or start it with no skins loaded) on both computers and make the switch like you usually do. Does Rainmeter still crash?
a) yes
b) no
1. a
2. Rainmeter is only running on my PC, the laptop is for work. I can test it Monday
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ChronoWerX wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:56 am 1. a
2. Rainmeter is only running on my PC, the laptop is for work. I can test it Monday
Alright, thanks - looking forward to read about the test results, whenever you can do it. ;-)
ChronoWerX

Post by ChronoWerX »

Same problems, I noticed it yet that Rainmeter wasn't run.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ChronoWerX wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 4:36 pm Same problems, I noticed it yet that Rainmeter wasn't run.
Then, the obvious temporary workaround (until the developers might consider fixing this) would be to exit Rainmeter before switching and run it back on afterwards. A small skin that can do that on mouse click is trivial to build (e.g. adding to a meter LeftMouseUpAction=["C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" !Quit] to quit it and LeftMouseUpAction=["C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe"] to run it is no big deal) - you could even make a shortcut for the quitting part.

Noticing that Rainmeter wasn't run could have been an illusion, if it crashed too quickly after being ran. If it wasn't, then it doesn't change the approach for a workaround anyway.