It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:39 am

Rainmeter crashed

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
ChronoWerX

Rainmeter crashed

Post by ChronoWerX »

Hi,

now I'm in homeoffice and use a USB switch (keyboard, mouse, BT dongle and webcam) for my PC and my notebook ...

Is the PC on and I switch from notebook to PC rainmeter crashes without an info

Regards
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter crashed

Post by balala »

ChronoWerX wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:08 pm now I'm in homeoffice and use a USB switch (keyboard, mouse, BT dongle and webcam) for my PC and my notebook ...

Is the PC on and I switch from notebook to PC rainmeter crashes without an info
What do you mean by "switch from notebook to PC"? Do you have Rainmeter installed on both computers, or you use a portable version, the same on both? And what those listed devices have to do with Rainmeter?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

balala wrote: March 29th, 2023, 6:22 pm What do you mean by "switch from notebook to PC"? Do you have Rainmeter installed on both computers, or you use a portable version, the same on both? And what those listed devices have to do with Rainmeter?
I'm just guessing here, but I think he means that he has a KVM switch (a device that lets you hook up multiple PCs to a single keyboard, video display, and mouse, and you can switch between them)? If so, if the machine that he is switching FROM is experiencing a Rainmeter crash (i.e, you switch from the laptop to the PC and Rainmeter on the laptop crashes), then it might be because there is no video device present.

This might be similar to another recent post (which I can't find). Perhaps when Rainmeter is attempting to update the display and the display is suddenly gone, then it might crash??? :confused:
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: March 29th, 2023, 7:28 pm I'm just guessing here, but I think he means that he has a KVM switch (a device that lets you hook up multiple PCs to a single keyboard, video display, and mouse, and you can switch between them)? If so, if the machine that he is switching FROM is experiencing a Rainmeter crash (i.e, you switch from the laptop to the PC and Rainmeter on the laptop crashes), then it might be because there is no video device present.

This might be similar to another recent post (which I can't find). Perhaps when Rainmeter is attempting to update the display and the display is suddenly gone, then it might crash??? :confused:
You might be right, however the original post is quite ambiguous. So we're waiting the OP come back with some explanations, so that we don't have to figure out what's going on there.
ChronoWerX

Post by ChronoWerX »

Yes and no

I mean a switch for my USB devices (kb, mouse, ...) not display. The laptop is connect on HDMI, the PC on DP.

Most time I used the button on my USB switch, Rainmeter crashes.
ChronoWerX

Post by ChronoWerX »

Now when I turned on my display.

Found this in the windows log:
Fehler.png
Fehler1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

ChronoWerX wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:11 pm I mean a switch for my USB devices (kb, mouse, ...) not display. The laptop is connect on HDMI, the PC on DP.

Most time I used the button on my USB switch, Rainmeter crashes.
So, let's summarize a little bit, to see if I did understand correctly what is going on there.
If I'm not mistaken, you have a device which you use to switch different USB devices to be used on one of those two computers. When you switch, Rainmeter crashes.
Is this correct?
If it is, question is what skins are you using?
ChronoWerX

Post by ChronoWerX »

balala wrote: March 30th, 2023, 5:21 pm So, let's summarize a little bit, to see if I did understand correctly what is going on there.
If I'm not mistaken, you have a device which you use to switch different USB devices to be used on one of those two computers. When you switch, Rainmeter crashes.
Is this correct?
If it is, question is what skins are you using?
Correct and if I turned on my display. Is a new problem since yesterday
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

ChronoWerX wrote: March 31st, 2023, 11:01 am if I turned on my display.
Sorry, but I hardly can follow you. Do you have the screen turned off then when you turn it on, Rainmeter crashes? How the screen is turned off: by Windows Turn off display feature, or manually?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ChronoWerX wrote: March 31st, 2023, 11:01 am Correct and if I turned on my display. Is a new problem since yesterday
1. What's the name and brand of your USB switch?
2. Do you use two displays (one for each computer) or just one (connected to both computers via HDMI and Display Port)?
3. Does the crash happen if you have no skins loaded in Rainmeter?
a) if yes, is there another way to switch besides the button on the USB switch?
b) if no, which skin is loaded in Rainmeter when it crashes?

Like SilverAzide mentioned, if the crash happens with no skins loaded as well, then the problem might be that while switching, the signal to the monitor is interrupted before it goes on again, in effect breaking things that are using the said device at the time of the switch (not sure if this could be the case with keyboard and mouse, if by any chance Rainmeter or its plugins use some "exclusive" hooking on those). Some solutions could be to get a switch that doesn't cut off the signal to the monitor(s) while switching, or quit Rainmeter / unload skins before switching followed by restarting Rainmeter / skins after the switch.

Some examples...

- same monitor, simple switch (the monitor is turned off and then on):

- setup with either one monitor (the monitor is set from one input to another) or two:

- the signal issue briefly described at 01:51 in the video:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth