It is currently April 25th, 2024, 11:26 am

[Feature Suggestion] Custom fonts/cursors folders

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Feature Suggestion] Custom fonts/cursors folders

Post by Yincognito »

Nickson wrote: January 17th, 2023, 4:55 pmAnd based on your answers, I now suspect that you've never worked on larger projects where a good folder structure is a key element to locating the things you need, or that you just don't care about a good folder structure.
I think it's a bit disrespectful to assume what others here worked on or not, to rate their answers based on the size of their projects, or based on whether others, including you, think it's a "good" practice or not. These things are always subjective from person to person, and blindly following some rules just because others do it is never healthy in the long run... especially when you already have a reasonable alternative to begin with, as emphasized above.

Having said that, I can understand the need for order and the desire to do as you want, and not as the software wants, even if it's just about something as irrelevant as a slight change of a path. On that note, have you tried using folder redirects aka shortcuts of folders to see if it's suitable in your case? I didn't test it, but if it works like that, you could have any path as the "real" or the "used" one - unless, of course, you're against even having a @Resources/Fonts folder in the first place, which would be quite... extreme, to put it lightly.

Generally, one can use a font in Windows if he installs it ("large projects" like MS Office expect the same, by the way). Rainmeter provides the possibility of not even bothering with that and just paste whatever font files one likes into a ready made @Resources/Fonts subfolder that automatically makes using them a breeze with zero extra work. Having a problem with that just because you don't like the path or want to place them into yet another sublevel (order and simplicity go hand in hand, you know) is strange, to say the least, especially when using them is not even an issue. Where would that "good folder structure" be if anyone would create his own custom font folders that anyone using the skin would have to adapt to - did you think about that? :confused:
Last edited by Yincognito on March 26th, 2023, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:47 pm I think it's a bit disrespectful to assume what others here worked on or not, to rate their answers based on the size of their projects, or based on whether others, including you, think it's a "good" practice or not.
:thumbup:
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

I like the idea of having all fonts that exist in any skin's Fonts folder being duplicated in @Vault.

If a user using a skin places a special font in a skin's @Resources\Fonts folder, and then that skin is later updated via rmskin, that user's special font is deleted. (Unless they use merge which almost no author uses since it can't preserve variables)

When a FontName=#### is used in any skin, it should reference fonts in BOTH the @Resources\Fonts folder and a Fonts folder inside @Vault. At least then if a user wants to add a new font, they can add it knowing it won't be deleted by a future skin update. As well, it'll mean that font file will be usable in any current or future skin.

On rmskin installation:
Copy all Fonts in installed skin's Fonts folder to @Vault\Fonts, just like it already does for a skin's plugins.

On skin usage:
FontName=#### looks for fonts in both @Resources\Fonts and @Vault\Fonts with the skin's @Resource\Fonts folder taking priority in the event of a duplicate font file.