Lingo Word Game

Skins that don't neatly fit into other categories
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Lingo Word Game

Post by eclectic-tech »

lingo.jpg
Lingo

A word guessing game for Rainmeter (based on TV game shows)
Over 5,000 words to strengthen your vocabulary
Guess the word in less than 5 attempts
5-letter or 6-letter variants
Select by word types or by starting letter
Correct letters in correct position are green
Correct letters in the wrong position are yellow
Earn points by solving before 5 attempts
Maximum of 5 points reduces on each attempt
Random letter hints will cost 1 point
High points for each variant are remembered
Reset them with middle-click of 'Level' display
Not timed, so you are not rushed to succeed

Word List Source: English Study Online
Modified these lists as included files (no internet required!)

Download From my DA site: Lingo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lieuallen

Re: Lingo Word Game

Post by Lieuallen »

Excellent game!

I'll admit that I haven't looked at the code yet, since it probably wouldn't do me much good. I was playing a game today and discovered that it doesn't handle duplicate letters the way I thought it would. Basically, I had gotten two green letters (a "D" and an "O") and my next guess duplicated one of them (the "O"). The result showed one of the "O"s as green (correct letter, correct position) and the other as yellow (correct letter, incorrect position). However, it turned out that there wasn't a second "O". That's technically correct (the "O" was a correct letter in a different position), but I just wasn't sure if that was the desired result. It wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it meant that there was a second "O" in the answer.

Still an excellent game!
Always sure, sometimes right.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Lieuallen wrote: July 13th, 2024, 7:28 pm Excellent game!

I'll admit that I haven't looked at the code yet, since it probably wouldn't do me much good. I was playing a game today and discovered that it doesn't handle duplicate letters the way I thought it would. Basically, I had gotten two green letters (a "D" and an "O") and my next guess duplicated one of them (the "O"). The result showed one of the "O"s as green (correct letter, correct position) and the other as yellow (correct letter, incorrect position). However, it turned out that there wasn't a second "O". That's technically correct (the "O" was a correct letter in a different position), but I just wasn't sure if that was the desired result. It wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it meant that there was a second "O" in the answer.

Still an excellent game!
Glad you like it! :rosegift:

As for the letter coloring, that is the expected result; a correct letter (it is in the word and shown already as 'green') but it is not in the correct word position. I understand your reasoning, but the logic is simplified to check if the letter is in the word, then if it is in the correct location.

Honestly, it has been a while since I coded this, but I believe that is the logic I applied.

Thanks for playing! ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Additional ideas:
Battleship Game (but with airplanes).png
Hangman.png
Tic-tac-toe (Xs and Os).png
Tetris.png
Darts.jpg
A bit harder to do:
Monopoly.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Some things are better left for others to try to duplicate :Whistle ... I know how you love a challenge ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote: July 14th, 2024, 1:17 am Some things are better left for others to try to duplicate :Whistle ... I know how you love a challenge ;-)
Nice one! :lol:
Nah, I was just saying after seeing your similar game skin. Some things are indeed better left for actual game software to do, since they're better at it and at the algorithms used to simulate a computer as an opponent. :)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth