It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
wildrun

Re: Gadgets 7.5.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by wildrun »

SilverAzide wrote: December 30th, 2022, 9:58 pm The All CPU Meter gadget knows which cores are multi-threaded and which aren't. If you look closely at the skin, the temps are duplicated for each of the P-cores. The skin is showing logical cores (not physical), so this is why it is done this way.
But i7-13700k have 16 cores and 24 Threads, only 8 cores should be doubled, or 32 doubled temperatures should be seen, but if we see 24 doubled temperatures it is as if it only took the temperature of 12 cores
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

wildrun wrote: December 31st, 2022, 3:13 am But i7-13700k have 16 cores and 24 Threads, only 8 cores should be doubled, or 32 doubled temperatures should be seen, but if we see 24 doubled temperatures it is as if it only took the temperature of 12 cores
Sorry, no, that is not correct. Your 13700K has 8P+8E cores. Each P core is hyper-threaded (2 threads/physical core), each E core is single-threaded (1 thread/physical core). Thus, (8 * 2) + (8 * 1) = 24 threads. A "thread" corresponds to a "logical core" (the terms are interchangeable). There is only 1 temperature sensor per physical core, so 16 total sensors (as shown in HWiNFO).

Thread 1 and 2 are running on physical core 1, thus the CPU Meter will show the same temp for both logical cores. Look at your screenshot again. The first 16 logical cores are showing temps in pairs, the last 8 logical cores are showing unique temps (not clearly shown in this particular snapshot).

Does this make sense now?
wildrun

Post by wildrun »

SilverAzide wrote: December 31st, 2022, 5:13 am Sorry, no, that is not correct. Your 13700K has 8P+8E cores. Each P core is hyper-threaded (2 threads/physical core), each E core is single-threaded (1 thread/physical core). Thus, (8 * 2) + (8 * 1) = 24 threads. A "thread" corresponds to a "logical core" (the terms are interchangeable). There is only 1 temperature sensor per physical core, so 16 total sensors (as shown in HWiNFO).

Thread 1 and 2 are running on physical core 1, thus the CPU Meter will show the same temp for both logical cores. Look at your screenshot again. The first 16 logical cores are showing temps in pairs, the last 8 logical cores are showing unique temps (not clearly shown in this particular snapshot).

Does this make sense now?
ok, I understand this, thank you very much for the clarification, my confusion was because the logical cores seem to have very similar temperatures, I imagine it is because they are small and close together, thanks
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

wildrun wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:54 pm ok, I understand this, thank you very much for the clarification, my confusion was because the logical cores seem to have very similar temperatures, I imagine it is because they are small and close together, thanks
Yes, that happens on my i9-12950HX (8P+8E) too. There are stress-test tools and optimization utilities (like Process Lasso, here) you can find that will let you force apps to run on specific cores. If you were super curious, you could force an app to run on one of the E-cores to see the effect (and maybe the see effect on nearby unused E-cores too).
Menschefreund

Post by Menschefreund »

SilverAzide wrote: December 29th, 2022, 4:21 pm Is it possible that you are not an administrator on your PC? If not, you will need to run Rainmeter as the same user as HWiNFO.

The reason this error is happening is that Rainmeter is either unable to read the registry entries where HWiNFO is writing the sensor data, or the registry entries are not present at all.

You can check for a registry issue by opening RegEdit and navigating to \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HWiNFO64\VSB (HWiNFO must be running). If you don't see this key, then this is the source of your problem.

This can be due to a number of conditions. One is that you forgot to check the "Enable reporting to Gadget" option on the "HWiNFO Gadget" tab in the HWiNFO Sensor Settings dialog. Another reason is you didn't configure any sensors to be reported on this same tab. Both these issues will mean nothing is being written to the registry. However, the usual reason is that Rainmeter can not read the registry because it is not running as a user with admin privileges. HWiNFO runs elevated, so if you are not an admin, you must run Rainmeter elevated too, using the same user account so the registry key is accessible.
Thanks for helping :thumbup:
Madblaster6

Post by Madblaster6 »

This might be a dumb question, how do you resize? I used modern Gadgets but they ended support. That had a general settings window. I'm not sure where to find it here.

EDIT: Never mind I see, it's per Gadget.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Madblaster6 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 1:19 am This might be a dumb question, how do you resize? I used modern Gadgets but they ended support. That had a general settings window. I'm not sure where to find it here.

EDIT: Never mind I see, it's per Gadget.
Cool, glad you found it! If you liked ModernGadgets, don't forget to check out the patch that makes the Gadgets more "ModernGadgets-like". It's not perfect, but it will get you a little closer to the look...
Madblaster6

Post by Madblaster6 »

SilverAzide wrote: February 15th, 2023, 2:25 am Cool, glad you found it! If you liked ModernGadgets, don't forget to check out the patch that makes the Gadgets more "ModernGadgets-like". It's not perfect, but it will get you a little closer to the look...
Oh wow, I really appreciate that. Looks great!
TotemSP2

Post by TotemSP2 »

I'm glad people are continuing this style of desktop gadget. I've been an addgadget user for decades.

Onto my issue. The ram appears to be incorrect, though the usage percentage appears to be close. I'd even notice the usage completely max out then go blank (while playing Gmod of all things).

Edit: should explain I'm getting my core temps from... well, Core Temp. But I have HWINFO installed to run the GPU meter.

When I built this PC in 2018, the first time getting Rainmeter going, HWINFO, or something was causing my CPU fan to stop changing speeds, so I stopped using it, and went for 8GadgetsPack (aka, the ancient windows gadgets), and ran the good ol' Addgadgets, since they didn't seem to need HWINFO, or whatever was causing the issues with the fans.

That was fine for half a decade, until recently. So now i'm trying Rainmeter again.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

TotemSP2 wrote: February 19th, 2023, 3:31 pm I'm glad people are continuing this style of desktop gadget. I've been an addgadget user for decades.

Onto my issue. The ram appears to be incorrect, though the usage percentage appears to be close. I'd even notice the usage completely max out then go blank (while playing Gmod of all things).
Actually, at first glance, your RAM appears to be correct. We will need to dig into this more to figure out what is happening...

Your screenshot shows you are using a Threadripper 1900X (8C/16T). This is a pretty old CPU, but if I recall correctly, this CPU is one of those hybrid chiplet designs, with basically 2 4C/8T chips "welded together". These CPUs are capable of running in two modes, UMA (uniform memory access, similar to most PCs) and NUMA (non-uniform memory access). When in NUMA mode, each of the processor "chiplets" has access to half the memory on your machine (the half that sits physically closest to that processor). In NUMA mode, your performance is theoretically maximized, but this comes at a cost of losing half the available RAM, same as if you were running a dual-CPU (SMP) machine.

It appears in your screenshot that your machine is/was running in NUMA mode. Thus, the title at the top of the Gadget, which says "Node #0". If you were to open the Node #1 skin, you should see the skin indicate "Node #1" and it should also say 8GB of RAM. If you hover over the AMD icon, you should see a tooltip; it will indicate how many NUMA nodes were detected, and the total installed RAM on your machine, which seems to be 16GB.

With both Node #0 and #1 skins showing, you'll see the usage data for all 16 of the threads in your CPU, as well. With only one CPU Meter showing, you are seeing only half your machine.

Does any of this make sense? The 1900x is a first-gen Threadripper and there are some quirks with it that are not present in later-gen Threadrippers.