It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:43 am

How to check CPU usage of various running skins?

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
emp00

How to check CPU usage of various running skins?

Post by emp00 »

Dear Team,

I have a total 6 active skins running and I am observing spiking CPU load for "rainmeter.exe" in Windows task manager. How can I find out which of the skins is causing these spikes or generally, how I can see which skins are consuming the highest CPU load? I have tried Sysinternals "Process Explorer" but not luck in this respect. Thanks for your help!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How to check CPU usage of various running skins?

Post by SilverAzide »

emp00 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 11:55 am Dear Team,

I have a total 6 active skins running and I am observing spiking CPU load for "rainmeter.exe" in Windows task manager. How can I find out which of the skins is causing these spikes or generally, how I can see which skins are consuming the highest CPU load? I have tried Sysinternals "Process Explorer" but not luck in this respect. Thanks for your help!
You can't. Each skin is not a separate process, so Process Explorer won't help. What you want to do is load a single skin and look at the usage with just that skin running. Then do the next one. Eventually you will find the CPU hog. Before you do that though, make a quick first pass though the code of each skin and look at the [Rainmeter] section for the Update option. If it is less than 1000, there is your most likely culprit.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How to check CPU usage of various running skins?

Post by balala »

emp00 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 11:55 am I have a total 6 active skins running and I am observing spiking CPU load for "rainmeter.exe" in Windows task manager. How can I find out which of the skins is causing these spikes or generally, how I can see which skins are consuming the highest CPU load? I have tried Sysinternals "Process Explorer" but not luck in this respect.
Besides SilverAzide's reply on activating the skins one by one, another way is to deactivate certain skin and follow if those spikes appear. When you deactivate one skin and after a while there still is no spike, you probably found the culprit.