It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:38 am

WebNowPlaying Companion doesn't work.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
efozm

WebNowPlaying Companion doesn't work.

Post by efozm »

Hello! :welcome: :great: :rosegift:

I've asked this question on both Jax Core and Droptop's Discord servers but haven't gotten any help so far. Trying my luck here, as I believe this has something to do with Rainmeter or the Companion itself rather than the skins.

• WebNowPlaying Companion is installed on Chrome, Edge, and Opera GX. I got the same result before and after formatting my PC. I formatted my PC yesterday so it's a clean Windows 11. I tried making it work before installing anti-virus too. Rainmeter, Droptop, JaxCore, drivers, everything is up to date and functional.
  • I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, downgrading all the programs in question. I've tried installing just Droptop and just JaxCore to see if it would change anything. I've also restarted my PC after each try. I even got a webnowplaying.dll from a working pc.
  • In Droptop the volume controller is getting absolutely no input and I can't control any media unless I change it to Windows mode, then I can only Pause and Continue. It looks like this:

• In Jax Core Auto method (WebNowPlaying) gets no input from any browser or app. Modern method (Windows API) gets the image but the name is always 1 1. See below for both:

I also installed Rainmeter and Droptop on my wife's laptop and Companion was able to get data from browsers. But as soon as I installed Jax Core it stopped working on Droptop too. Uninstalling the Jax Core didn't change anything. Soon I'm getting a friend's PC to format and I'll try it on his PC too, which could help me identify the problem. :confused:

Solution found by @Bedoy. On Windows 11 if you change your time format to English (United States) WebNowPlaying magically works. English (United Kingdom) also works.
Last edited by efozm on January 11th, 2023, 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: WebNowPlaying Companion doesn't work.

Post by eclectic-tech »

You didn't mention if you installed the browser extensions:
tjhrulz wrote:You will need one of the browser extensions for this to work

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webnowplaying-companion/jfakgfcdgpghbbefmdfjkbdlibjgnbli
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/webnowplaying-companion/
Note: While chrome requires no changes in Firefox you will need to go to the about:config page in Firefox and set network.websocket.allowInsecureFromHTTPS to true.
These changes need to be done before the plugin will work.

Have you tried the example skin that comes with the plugin? Does it work?

I do not use either of those packages and cannot help you troubleshoot if the issue is related to only those skins.
efozm

Post by efozm »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 4:52 pm You didn't mention if you installed the browser extensions: These changes need to be done before the plugin will work.
It is literally the first point on my post?
efozm wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 4:33 pm
  • WebNowPlaying Companion is installed on Chrome, Edge, and Opera GX.

eclectic-tech wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 4:52 pm Have you tried the example skin that comes with the plugin? Does it work?

It doesn't work at all, I can't even pause the video.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Sorry, I misinterpreted that statement...

If the example is not working, then you have problems unrelated to Jax or Droptop skins and need to get that working.

It is working fine for me using Edge on Win 10, so I am not sure what else I can suggest.
wnp3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
efozm

Post by efozm »

Maybe W11 is the problem?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Haven't upgraded to Win 11, perhaps another member can test that possibility.
efozm

Post by efozm »

Can anyone confirm if the issue is with W11 or not?
bedoy

Post by bedoy »

efozm wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:33 am Can anyone confirm if the issue is with W11 or not?
I use win11 and couldn't get it to work. But then i found what is causing the problem on my machine. You might try to change time/date format of your pc to English. I was using Turkish date/time format and when i changed it to English and restarted rainmeter it was working.
You can change it from "Control Panel/Clock and Region/Change date, time or number formats" and set the format to English.

I tried to just change decimal and seperator characters but it doesn't work unless i change the whole format language. Any ideas about that?
efozm

Post by efozm »

bedoy wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:43 pm I use win11 and couldn't get it to work. But then i found what is causing the problem on my machine. You might try to change time/date format of your pc to English. I was using Turkish date/time format and when i changed it to English and restarted rainmeter it was working.
You can change it from "Control Panel/Clock and Region/Change date, time or number formats" and set the format to English.

I tried to just change decimal and seperator characters but it doesn't work unless i change the whole format language. Any ideas about that?
Dude that worked like a charm! :o Çok sağol kardeş. This means we should technically be able to change some settings in the companion to make it work with other date formats right?

Edit: Like/dislike/repeat etc. buttons don't function well. "Like" does nothing, "Dislike" brings up "Share". I don't really need them but just FYI.
bedoy

Post by bedoy »

efozm wrote: January 8th, 2023, 1:21 pm Dude that worked like a charm! :o Çok sağol kardeş. This means we should technically be able to change some settings in the companion to make it work with other date formats right?
I think it is about the plugin itself rather than the companinon. Because you have to restart rainmeter for changes to take effect, not your browser.