It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:24 pm

GPU power monitoring with MSI afterburner

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Jusupovic

GPU power monitoring with MSI afterburner

Post by Jusupovic »

Hello,

I'm using this skin : https://www.deviantart.com/counter-countdown-ip/art/Mii-System-Skin-ii-Remodified-v2-2-1-664852204 that I modified a bit to display exactly what I want. The skin is working with MSI afterburner and its plugin called "MSIAfterburner.dll".

I have a weird problem with GPU power monitoring where it seems to be capped at 100. I'm displaying a tray icon of my actual GPU power with MSI Afterburner to compare. By the way, I have 0 experience in coding.

First case :

Code: Select all

[MeasureGPUPower]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\MSIAfterburner.dll
DataSource=Power
GPU=#GPU#
To me it should the be the correct code but in this case, the skin displays GPU power minus a certain percentage and is capped at 100. So it's not working right.

Second case :

Code: Select all

[MeasureGPUPower]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\MSIAfterburner.dll
DataSource=Power
GPU=#GPU#
MaxValue=100
MinValue=0
I tried this without really knowing why (of course the max power of my GPU is over 100) and in this case, the skin displays the correct values ​​until they exceed 100. Then it displays 100 even if the correct value is 150 for example.

If you ever have an idea on how to solve this, I would be very grateful.
Bekarfel

Re: GPU power monitoring with MSI afterburner

Post by Bekarfel »

In your second example, have you tried setting max to the maximum power of your GPU?
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jusupovic wrote: December 20th, 2022, 12:05 pm I tried this without really knowing why (of course the max power of my GPU is over 100) and in this case, the skin displays the correct values ​​until they exceed 100. Then it displays 100 even if the correct value is 150 for example.
Aside Bekarfel's reply above, there is something else as well.
I'm not using MSI Afterburner and accordingly nor its plugin, so am not sure at all, but can say a few general things, which applies here as well.
The only difference between the two versions of the [MeasureGPUPower] measures is the MinValue and MaxValue options, added to the second version. When adding such options, the value returned by the measure isn't changing. So both measures should return the same numerical result, there should be no difference between them.
What makes difference between them, is that if used on meters which require the measure to return percentual values (like Bar, Histogram, Line, or even Bitmap meters), if the MinValue and MaxValue options are not properly set, any of the above type of meters will not show the result correctly. However a string meter for instance is showing the correct and unmodified value, returned by the measure.
I assume (hope?) you're talking about such a meter (Bar, Histogram, ...) above, not about what a String meter shows. Am I right?
Jusupovic

Post by Jusupovic »

Bekarfel wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 7:15 am In your second example, have you tried setting max to the maximum power of your GPU?
Ty for your answer. In this case it is not displaying the correct values. If MaxValue is over 100 the values ​​are lower and lower compared to reality and when MaxValue is under 100 the values are higher and higher compared to reality. The values are correct only when setting MaxValue to 100 but it is still capped to 100...
Jusupovic

Post by Jusupovic »

balala wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 4:12 pm Aside Bekarfel's reply above, there is something else as well.
I'm not using MSI Afterburner and accordingly nor its plugin, so am not sure at all, but can say a few general things, which applies here as well.
The only difference between the two versions of the [MeasureGPUPower] measures is the MinValue and MaxValue options, added to the second version. When adding such options, the value returned by the measure isn't changing. So both measures should return the same numerical result, there should be no difference between them.
What makes difference between them, is that if used on meters which require the measure to return percentual values (like Bar, Histogram, Line, or even Bitmap meters), if the MinValue and MaxValue options are not properly set, any of the above type of meters will not show the result correctly. However a string meter for instance is showing the correct and unmodified value, returned by the measure.
I assume (hope?) you're talking about such a meter (Bar, Histogram, ...) above, not about what a String meter shows. Am I right?
Ty for your answer. In the end, I found another solution. My goal was to only use the MSI afterburner sensors (which must be running no matter what since I use it to undervolt my GPU) in order to have only one monitoring software running but I did a test with HWinfo and there the sensor (the gpu power one) works correctly with the skin. So I'm going to let both software run at the same time. At least it works.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jusupovic wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 1:32 pm Ty for your answer. In the end, I found another solution.
As you wish, obviously.