It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:43 am

[Bug] Rainmeter trying to open a non existent png file that hasn't been called

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Jaime Méndez

[Bug] Rainmeter trying to open a non existent png file that hasn't been called

Post by Jaime Méndez »

Hello!

I think i found a Rainmeter bug. I have checked up the code many times. I have cleaned up the code and mess left after many reviews and fixes. The skin runs quite well and its performance and behavior aren't affected in any form due to the error that is thrown over the log report window at each load and refresh time.
Rainmeter attempts to open an unnamed png file even though there isn't any pictures file to load and no instructions to do so in any Metere or Measure. The skin generates only icon files working as expected.

I post the skin and the font that has to be placed into fonts folder due to size limitation rule.

Thank you for developing this great software!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jaime Méndez on December 2nd, 2022, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Bug] Rainmeter trying to open a non existent png file that hasn't been called

Post by eclectic-tech »

I think this message is associated with this change:
Change History wrote: Image meter:Fixed a long standing bug where dynamically changing an image from a valid file to a non-existent file would not reset the detected size of the meter. Also added an error in the log when this happens.
I may be mistaken, but I believe it appears when the FileView plugin recreates the icons when a new path is applied.
Not sure you can avoid this message; as you noticed, it does not affect the skin functions.
tass_co

Re: [Bug] Rainmeter trying to open a non existent png file that hasn't been called

Post by tass_co »

eclectic-tech wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 1:53 am Not sure you can avoid this message
I was getting this error message a while ago too.
As a workaround: create one empty (1x1) ".png" file in the directory :thumbup:
.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't know where i going from here, but i promise it won't be boring... :great:
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

You are right, I don't thing I could avoid the error. I might be a bug related to FileView rather than to Rainmeter itself. I may be a case for the developers.
You are right, I don't thing I could avoid the error. I might be a bug related to FileView rather than to Rainmeter itself. I may be a case for the developers.
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

tass_co wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 6:09 am I was getting this error message a while ago too.
As a workaround: create one empty (1x1) ".png" file in the directory :thumbup:

.rar
It works but the problem is that I'd have to place an empty file in all PC directories and subdirectories in order to get rid of the bug. The Skin is a directory browser that reads files and folders every where and represents its icon files and thumbnails pictures.
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

Jaime Méndez wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:36 pm It works but the problem is that I'd have to place an empty file in all PC directories and subdirectories in order to get rid of the bug. The Skin is a directory browser that reads files and folders every where and represents its icon files and thumbnails pictures.
Understood. Maybe someone can offer you another solution.
I don't know where i going from here, but i promise it won't be boring... :great:
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

Thank you anyway for your help :thumbup:
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

Jaime Méndez wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 3:33 pm Thank you anyway for your help :thumbup:
:bow:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Jaime Méndez wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:36 pm It works but the problem is that I'd have to place an empty file in all PC directories and subdirectories in order to get rid of the bug. The Skin is a directory browser that reads files and folders every where and represents its icon files and thumbnails pictures.
tass_co wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:55 pm Understood. Maybe someone can offer you another solution.
This is not a bug, just an annoyance. A while ago, I reported a somewhat unrelated bug regarding image files (too lazy to search and link it here now), which resulted in the developers making checking for the image file existence more strict than before, apart from fixing the reported bug. So that's all there is to it: in the past, Rainmeter used to ignore if image files missed (i.e. silently failing), now it makes noise every time such files are missing (i.e. the "errors" in the log).

I don't like this annoyance either, but I understand that from a strictly technical point of view, if one tries to use an image that doesn't exist, some kind of message should pop up in the log. From my point of view, a warning is preferable to an error, because it doesn't alert the users so much and can be easily hidden in the log without any concerns that you miss some essential info.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

Yincognito wrote: March 18th, 2023, 3:29 pm This is not a bug, just an annoyance.
Thank you for your response, but I still don't understand why my code is still warning for missing png file after doing a code deep clean up, I couldn't find any instruction for such an operation. Skin is much faster an smooth now than posted here down those days when first post.

You can check it out the latest version if you want: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=41394