It is currently April 18th, 2024, 4:20 am

Popup Toast Notifications for Win10

Clocks and timer skins
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Popup Toast Notifications for Win10

Post by eclectic-tech »

I have looked at the past posts in the forum regarding Window's Toast for Windows 10 and found most of them no longer work. :(

If you have Windows 11 installed, then I would highly recommend use death.crafter's RainToaster; it is much more versatile.

RainToaster's only issue is Windows 10 system limit the notifications to one per session; you have to log off and back on to see additional notifications. :x

So, I created simple skin (based on other here) that will convert a date/time to a Timestamp and when the current time Timestamp matches, activates a Powershell script in a RunCommand measure and display the title, message, and an optional toast icon.

A preview of your toast using Window's Light and Dark theme colors will show when adding a new popup.
popuppre3.png
A few notes...
Date/Time entries should be 2-digit and use 24-hour format time
The toast is strictly text, no option for images
The notification will be identified as a 'Windows Powershell' program post (I didn't try to change this)
The skin will run invisibly in the background, to check it !Refresh the config from Rainmeter
If a popup is set at a time in the future, a message will display giving details and offering to delete it and create a new one
Two skins are included, to create additional popup toasts simply copy/paste one of the current subfolders, rename it, and !Refresh-All

Hopefully it will be useful for quick reminders.
Popup Toast for Win 10_1.2022.03.02.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Popup Toast Notifications for Win10

Post by balala »

Hello eclectic-tech.
Two questions related to your skin / procedure:
  • I see you're recommending not to use the PowerShell procedure on Windows 11, but since I have no access yet to a computer using this latest Windows, I'm not entirely sure if the procedure does work on Windows 11. Does it? Hope it does, but am I right?
  • Is there a site which describes the used parameters of the PowerShell command? I tried to look for this but couldn't find a good source. I hope you have one.
Thank you very much for this tool. I tried once (more times?) in past to create such pop-ups from skins but didn't get it working well. Now, thanks to you, I did.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 2:33 pm Hello eclectic-tech.
Two questions related to your skin / procedure:
  • I see you're recommending not to use the PowerShell procedure on Windows 11, but since I have no access yet to a computer using this latest Windows, I'm not entirely sure if the procedure does work on Windows 11. Does it? Hope it does, but am I right?
  • Is there a site which describes the used parameters of the PowerShell command? I tried to look for this but couldn't find a good source. I hope you have one.
Thank you very much for this tool. I tried once (more times?) in past to create such pop-ups from skins but didn't get it working well. Now, thanks to you, I did.
Forum Member AC posted several very useful links concerning Toasts in Windows in the thread for RainToaster by death.crafter.

If you are using Windows 11, I would definitely use death.crafter's version.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 5:35 pm Forum Member AC posted several very useful links concerning Toasts in Windows in the thread for RainToaster by death.crafter.
Thank you for the links, have to study a little bit those descriptions, but thanks anyway.
eclectic-tech wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 5:35 pm If you are using Windows 11, I would definitely use death.crafter's version.
No, Im not using Windows 11, but Windows 10:
balala wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 2:33 pm
This is why I asked you to let me know if even if it's not recommended the PowerShell procedure will work on Windows 11 as well. I'd not like to create two different versions of my skin, one for Windows 10 and another for Windows 11. Yep, I know there are procedures to create one single skin, which depending on Windows version might apply one or the other procedure to show the ToolTip balloon, but this would complicate the skin. If the PowerShell approach works on Windows 11 as well, I'd not complicate things.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I am also still on Windows 10, so I can't test this on the new OS. So as far as I know, this PowerShell approach should work on either OS.

The only reason I recommend using death.crafter's RainToaster version on Windows 11 is because it offers more versatility, not due to this version not being able to work just as well.

Perhaps another member will discover if there are any problems using this method on Windows 11...{hint} :welcome:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:36 pm I am also still on Windows 10,
Sorry, I thought you're on Windows 11. Seems I misunderstood something...
eclectic-tech wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:36 pm The only reason I recommend using death.crafter's RainToaster version on Windows 11 is because it offers more versatility, not due to this version not being able to work just as well.
I see.
eclectic-tech wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:36 pm Perhaps another member will discover if there are any problems using this method on Windows 11...{hint} :welcome:
I'd delighted to know, so if anyone using Windows 11 can tell exactly if it's working, please tell.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:36 pm Perhaps another member will discover if there are any problems using this method on Windows 11...{hint} :welcome:
balala wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:47 pm I'd delighted to know, so if anyone using Windows 11 can tell exactly if it's working, please tell.
PowerShell in Windows 11... ;-)

Screenshot 2022-11-22 221250.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

There is some sort of weirdness using this command. Every toast message leaves behind a residual icon in the system tray notification area. The icon goes away if you mouseover it. :confused:
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 3:15 am PowerShell in Windows 11... ;-)
Thank you for confirming it works. This is what I was curious about.
SilverAzide wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 3:24 am There is some sort of weirdness using this command. Every toast message leaves behind a residual icon in the system tray notification area. The icon goes away if you mouseover it. :confused:
Right, same here, on Windows 10. But same thing goes on as well when for instance Rainmeter crashes. A residual icon remains in the Notification Area and disappears if I'm hovering the mouse over it.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

SilverAzide wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 3:24 am There is some sort of weirdness using this command. Every toast message leaves behind a residual icon in the system tray notification area. The icon goes away if you mouseover it. :confused:
I saw a note in the info I used to create the powershell toast that mentions the powershell icon will appear in the tray when the popup is posted.
The ballon tooltip seems very nice. But it adds an icon to the toolbar and you have to run a code to kill it:
$script:balmsg.Dispose()
The problem is that you don’t know if the user saw the notification… So you don’t have a way to know when to kill that icon.
So yes, there is an icon in the system tray when the message is posted.
If you mouse over that Powershell icon in the tray before opening the notification sidebar, the popup message will disappear This means you could inadvertently remove the message before you see it!

Any solutions are welcomed. :???: