It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:11 am

EXpandExplore

Skins to open folders and launch applications and websites
Jaime Méndez

Re: EXpandExplore

Post by Jaime Méndez »

If you take out the delays as mentioned, you'll see that it isn't possible to enter the number of files wanted to be shown at expanding action. The delay is kind of annoying because users want menu boxes be hidden as soon as they click somewhere else
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jaime Méndez wrote: November 4th, 2022, 6:07 pm If you take out the delays as mentioned, you'll see that it isn't possible to enter the number of files wanted to be shown at expanding action. The delay is kind of annoying because users want menu boxes be hidden as soon as they click somewhere else
I think you're overcomplicating things. The OnUnfocusAction option might be alright, however I probably better would renounce to the !Delay bang. Something like this: OnUnFocusAction=[!Refresh "EXpandExplore"][!DeactivateConfig].
I also would remove the [!DeactivateConfig] bang (along with the [!Delay 5000]) from the LeftMouseUpAction option of the [FileLimit] meter, getting this: LeftMouseUpAction=[!CommandMeasure "MeasureFileLimit" "ExecuteBatch 1"].
And finally, I'd add the [!DeactivateConfig] bang to the Command1 option of the [MeasureFileLimit] measure (with no delay): Command1=[!WriteKeyValue Variables ExLimit "$UserInput$" "#@#ExpandVariables.inc"][!DeactivateConfig].
This has to be done not to deactivate the skin when you're clicking the field in which you're entering the number of files, but when hitting Enter after entering the value.

A few other thing which I also would do:
  • The FontColor option of the [MeasureFileLimit] measure should be replaced with something like FontColor=0,0,0, because otherwise you can't see what are entering with the InputText plugin measure.
  • The [MeasureFileLimit] measure requires an InputNumber=1 option, to can enter only numbers. If this option is not added you can add even string values, having it, only numbers can be added.
  • Would include the ExpandVariables.inc file to the skin, by adding the @include3=#@#ExpandVariables.inc option to the [Rainmeter] section:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
    @include3=#@#ExpandVariables.inc
  • I'd replace the DefaultValue=59 option of the [MeasureFileLimit] measure with DefaultValue=#ExLimit#. Seems extremely unfortunate to get shown 59 when entering the value to the field, instead of the existing value (the #ExLimit# variable).
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

Thank you! It is working better now.

I am preparing final release. Would you like me to change or add something before I post it?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jaime Méndez wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:25 pm Would you like me to change or add something before I post it?
No, I assume you can post it if you think it's ready.
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

Hi!

You'll find final release v 2.0 in first post

-Now you can set number of items to be shown at expanded in "EX" menu
-Some small fixes, it still struggled to count items properly when expansion. It has been fixed for good.

What is next? To set a fixed number of items per groups of 20 at expanded and the ability to show next groups by scrolling in the expanded section of the skin.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jaime Méndez wrote: November 7th, 2022, 5:20 am -Now you can set number of items to be shown at expanded in "EX" menu
To be honest I don't really see the utility of this. I mean that when you're showing the content of a folder, you should see all files and folders, not just some of them. At least for me it's not too logic to see only certain number of elements.
Jaime Méndez wrote: November 7th, 2022, 5:20 am What is next? To set a fixed number of items per groups of 20 at expanded and the ability to show next groups by scrolling in the expanded section of the skin.
Go ahead if you want and add all intended features. Good luck...
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

balala wrote: November 7th, 2022, 3:56 pm To be honest I don't really see the utility of this. I mean that when you're showing the content of a folder, you should see all files and folders, not just some of them. At least for me it's not too logic to see only certain number of elements.
There are times when expanding comes across a folder with hundreds of files and images and that would require all your CPU and RAM for a while, so it will be nice to be able to limit it to a certain number of items that you know your system can handle.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jaime Méndez wrote: November 7th, 2022, 4:32 pm There are times when expanding comes across a folder with hundreds of files and images and that would require all your CPU and RAM for a while, so it will be nice to be able to limit it to a certain number of items that you know your system can handle.
Good point! :great:
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

Hi, I've done it!

Now number of tiles are fixed to 20 items and you can scroll down and up at expanded folder to see more items contained in it.

There is a downside though, if you come across with a folder containing big size picture files (about 2 or 3 megas) the whole system slows down. I don't understand why it is so because it is rendering icons the same way it did with last version.

I changed de name of the skin to ExploreExpand so you can compare both versions

The problem is here
tiles.inc.template:

Code: Select all

[MeterTileIcon%%]
Meter=Image
MeasureName=mIndex%%Ico
;MeasureName=MeasureFileIcon%%
X=(#TILE_%%_X#+#Tiles_Icon_OX#)
Y=(#TILE_%%_Y#+#Tiles_Icon_OY#-(#FontSize#/3))
W=#Tiles_Icon_Size#
H=#Tiles_Icon_Size#
Container=MeterTile%%
DynamicVariables=1
PreserveAspectRatio=1
Group=Main
Last edited by Jaime Méndez on November 11th, 2022, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaime Méndez

Post by Jaime Méndez »

Here it is what I have found

I attachment you'll find ExploreEXpand 1.1b

It comes with 2 versions of "tiles.inc.template" in "@Resources\Include" folder. Each version comes with temp name:
1. (Magick)tiles.inc.template
2.- (FileView)tiles.inc.template

You just have to make a copy and rename it to "tiles.inc.template"
Both work ok If folder doesn't contain image files.
But if image files are contained in the folder
1. "(Magick)tiles.inc.template" It would run fast and better, just like EXpanExplore 2.0, but it needs to be refreshed each time you scroll up or down and it makes it unusable
2. "(FileView)tiles.inc.template" It is usable. It doesn't need to be refreshed each time you scroll up or down, but system slow down quite a lot if a folder contains big sized image files.

Note: You'll see that "Icons" folder is populated with picture thumbnails when using "(Magick)tiles.inc.template" which makes EXpanExplore 2.0 run fast and without taking too much CPU resources
Attachments
ExploreEXpand_1.1b.rmskin
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 76 times