It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:22 am

ModernGadgets Weather Meter - Not The API Key Problem

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
610Drew

ModernGadgets Weather Meter - Not The API Key Problem

Post by 610Drew »

I installed Rainmeter and the ModernGadgets skin on a new computer. In the Weather Meter, I am not getting updates. I've read through the thread that talks about updating the API key in ..\Rainmeter\Skins\ModernGadgets\WeatherMeter\Includes\WeatherComJSONMeasures.inc and ..\AstroMeasures.inc. I've completed this but the skin still does not update. I've even copied the two files from my working computer to this new computer with no effect. Does anyone have any ideas on what I am missing?

Thanks,

Drew
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: ModernGadgets Weather Meter - Not The API Key Problem

Post by balala »

610Drew wrote: August 4th, 2022, 6:39 pm I installed Rainmeter and the ModernGadgets skin on a new computer. In the Weather Meter, I am not getting updates. I've read through the thread that talks about updating the API key in ..\Rainmeter\Skins\ModernGadgets\WeatherMeter\Includes\WeatherComJSONMeasures.inc and ..\AstroMeasures.inc. I've completed this but the skin still does not update. I've even copied the two files from my working computer to this new computer with no effect. Does anyone have any ideas on what I am missing?
What API key have you added? The one used in the ModernGadgets package (available =https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=24381#p129304here) does work for me now.
Another thing you should make sure you did is the refresh of Weather Meter. Did you refresh it?
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I have just pulled a fresh troubleshooting guide aimed to fix the internet issues with Rainmeter. Check it out here: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=41101

Briefly:
1. You need to clean cookies in Internet Options (not in your browser but in Control Panel).
2. You need to have TLS 1.2 security turned on.

Check the guide for step-by-step instructions.
610Drew

Post by 610Drew »

balala wrote: August 4th, 2022, 8:25 pm What API key have you added? The one used in the ModernGadgets package (available =https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=24381#p129304here) does work for me now.
Another thing you should make sure you did is the refresh of Weather Meter. Did you refresh it?
Thank you for your reply. I used the following in their respective files:
  • astroApiKey=21d8a80b3d6b444998a80b3d6b1449d3
  • APIKey=21d8a80b3d6b444998a80b3d6b1449d3

And yes... I've refreshed Weather Meter. I've stopped and restarted Rainmeter. And I've even rebooted the computer. These are the same keys I'm using successfully on a different computer. This is why I'm stuck. It seems I'm missing something.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

610Drew wrote: August 4th, 2022, 9:01 pm It seems I'm missing something.
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=41101
610Drew

Post by 610Drew »

Thank you for your reply. The API key is correct and it's in both *.inc files. I followed the procedure to clear cookies. When that didn't resolve the issue, I verified TLS 1.2 was enabled and it was. The error persists.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

610Drew wrote: August 4th, 2022, 6:39 pm I installed Rainmeter and the ModernGadgets skin on a new computer. In the Weather Meter, I am not getting updates. I've read through the thread that talks about updating the API key in ..\Rainmeter\Skins\ModernGadgets\WeatherMeter\Includes\WeatherComJSONMeasures.inc and ..\AstroMeasures.inc. I've completed this but the skin still does not update. I've even copied the two files from my working computer to this new computer with no effect. Does anyone have any ideas on what I am missing?
Can you clarify what you mean by "not getting updates"? Do you mean you are not getting any weather data at all?

Do you see any errors in the Rainmeter log? You can see the log if you right-click the Rainmeter icon in the system tray and select the About menu option. You can also see it if you select the Manage option, and on the Settings tab, click "Show log file".
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
610Drew

Post by 610Drew »

SilverAzide wrote: August 4th, 2022, 9:41 pm Can you clarify what you mean by "not getting updates"? Do you mean you are not getting any weather data at all?

Do you see any errors in the Rainmeter log? You can see the log if you right-click the Rainmeter icon in the system tray and select the About menu option. You can also see it if you select the Manage option, and on the Settings tab, click "Show log file".
Thank you for your reply. Here is a screen clip of what I see:

I checked the log and find these messages firing off many times per second:

Code: Select all

Invalid TimeStampFormat: %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S (ModernGadgets\WeatherMeter\WeatherMeter.ini - [@ForecastTodaySunsetTime])
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

610Drew wrote: August 4th, 2022, 10:05 pm Thank you for your reply. Here is a screen clip of what I see:

I checked the log and find these messages firing off many times per second:

Code: Select all

Invalid TimeStampFormat: %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S (ModernGadgets\WeatherMeter\WeatherMeter.ini - [@ForecastTodaySunsetTime])
Are you using the latest ModernGadgets? The latest version should not need any changes, as it already includes the correct API key. The error you posted happens when no data is retrieved from weather.com. Please check the log file to see if you can track down the first error (the one you listed is too late, the error has already happened).
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
610Drew

Post by 610Drew »

SilverAzide wrote: August 4th, 2022, 10:32 pm Are you using the latest ModernGadgets? The latest version should not need any changes, as it already includes the correct API key. The error you posted happens when no data is retrieved from weather.com. Please check the log file to see if you can track down the first error (the one you listed is too late, the error has already happened).
I am using 1.8.2 which is the latest version I see on https://github.com/raiguard/ModernGadgets/releases.

I'm not sure how to track down the first error. Is there an actual text log file I can open? I'm simply using the "About" in Rainmeter and even if I close Rainmeter, open Rainmeter and the logs via "About", the first error is no longer in the buffer.

Thanks,

Drew