It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:40 am

Help editing a skin.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Ervum

Help editing a skin.

Post by Ervum »

I was looking for 'how to configure a weather skin', and when watching the tutorial by the user eclectic-tech, I figured it out, but trying to edit the file variables of the skin eclectic-tech made, I realized that because of this character-separation (like h e l l o), every time I edit the file, it gives me error. Anybody knows how to edit it correctly?

Edit: Never mind, it's just that I was editing the file in Atom, when I opened it in VS it worked, but idk why, because Atom doesn't separate-like-that the characters in other type of files.
Attachments
Untitled.png
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Help editing a skin.

Post by SilverAzide »

Ervum wrote: September 25th, 2021, 6:18 pm I was looking for 'how to configure a weather skin', and when watching the tutorial by the user eclectic-tech, I figured it out, but trying to edit the file variables of the skin eclectic-tech made, I realized that because of this character-separation (like h e l l o), every time I edit the file, it gives me error. Anybody knows how to edit it correctly?

Edit: Never mind, it's just that I was editing the file in Atom, when I opened it in VS it worked, but idk why, because Atom doesn't separate-like-that the characters in other type of files.
It looks like your editor misidentified the file type encoding. The status bar shows it thinks the file is "UTF-8", when it is actually "UTF-16 LE BOM" (Unicode). That's the reason for the extra "spaces" (they are not actually spaces, BTW).
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Ervum wrote: September 25th, 2021, 6:18 pm I was looking for 'how to configure a weather skin', and when watching the tutorial by the user eclectic-tech, I figured it out, but trying to edit the file variables of the skin eclectic-tech made, I realized that because of this character-separation (like h e l l o), every time I edit the file, it gives me error. Anybody knows how to edit it correctly?

Ckeck out this thread https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22856
Ervum

Post by Ervum »

SilverAzide wrote: September 25th, 2021, 8:23 pm It looks like your editor misidentified the file type encoding. The status bar shows it thinks the file is "UTF-8", when it is actually "UTF-16 LE BOM" (Unicode). That's the reason for the extra "spaces" (they are not actually spaces, BTW).
When I tried editing other Skin using Atom, it doesn't show the "spaces", so I don't think it can be that it misidentified the encoding-type; it's weird because I don't remember having this issue with skins that aren't made by eclectic-tech: maybe is his doing? (lol)

Edit: Just read Active Colors thread, so it seems like it, I'll be more careful from now on, anyways, after this I was using VS for editing some skins. I know how to code in Java, Javascript, C++, C# and barely HTML and LUA, when I started to edit skins to my own sake I didn't know anything about this language, but I'm learning it by editing skins so maybe I'll make some skins later...?
cucumber

Post by cucumber »

hi all! I'll ask in this thread so as not to create new ones.
When I increase the font size of the clock, some of the numbers on the screen are cut off. Help - how to increase the window size for the skin?

Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

cucumber wrote: July 24th, 2022, 12:10 pm hi all! I'll ask in this thread so as not to create new ones.
When I increase the font size of the clock, some of the numbers on the screen are cut off. Help - how to increase the window size for the skin?
Hi there.

It is better to create a new thread as you are dealing with a different problem than what is described in the first post by the original creator of this thread.

About your problem. It happened to you because meters can't be drawn beyond zero of X and Y axes. Your time meter is aligned by Center and when you increased its size, some part of the meter went beyond zero of X axis.

What you need to do is:
1) In your text editor, navigate to the section name [MeterTime];
2) Increase X=230 to a bigger value, let's say, try 260.
3) Refresh this skin when you make any changes to it.
4) Increase this value until you start seeing your numbers time.
cucumber

Post by cucumber »

Thank you very much! Helped! Have a great day!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

cucumber wrote: July 24th, 2022, 1:59 pm Thank you very much! Helped! Have a great day!
It's a good thing if you got fixed the issue with the help of Active Colors, however related to your post, please never post screenshots with code of your skin, because to use it we have to retype it from the screenshot into the text editor. Instead would be much better to simply copy the code and paste it here, using the </> button in the menu of this forum (visible when you're editing your reply / post).