It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:53 pm

My First Skin Help

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
MourningStar

Re: My First Skin Help

Post by MourningStar »

New request. This skin has the 'Change Text Color' function and works well (one of the variants is posted a few replies back). I suppose there is something in the skin (or perhaps in Rainmeter itself) that causes the color to be 'remembered' when the skin is activated in the next session, meaning I power off the pc daily and, as I have Rainmeter in my startup, the color at power off is restored at next power on.

Is it possible to 'force' the skin to display a specific color at pc power on and yet retain the flexibility of the 'Change Text Color' function?

-thx
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

MourningStar wrote: July 4th, 2022, 11:33 pm New request. This skin has the 'Change Text Color' function and works well (one of the variants is posted a few replies back). I suppose there is something in the skin (or perhaps in Rainmeter itself) that causes the color to be 'remembered' when the skin is activated in the next session, meaning I power off the pc daily and, as I have Rainmeter in my startup, the color at power off is restored at next power on.

Is it possible to 'force' the skin to display a specific color at pc power on and yet retain the flexibility of the 'Change Text Color' function?

-thx
My guess is that remembering the chosen font color is related to this part of the skin, regarding the context menu:

Code: Select all

ContextTitle5=Change Text Color
ContextAction5=["#@#Addons\RainRGB4.exe" "VarName=FontColor" "FileName=#@#Variables.inc"]
Now I'm not what you can call an expert in how RainRGB4 works, but common sense would dictate that removing the  "FileName=#@#Variables.inc" from the 2nd line should make font color choosing a load session thing, meaning that the said color won't be saved (aka "remembered") into Variables.inc and only last until you refresh or unload / reload the skin again.

Note that even after doing such a thing, you might have some leftover FontColor variable in Variables.inc from the time it used to be saved there, so it would be logical to remove that as well, if that's the case. Or, if you want a specific color at skin load, just set the value of that variable accordingly and leave it there, while only removing the part from the context action above.

P.S. If by any chance something else is required when it comes to RainRGB4 or simply removing the part above doesn't cut it, there are other threads related to RainRGB4 too, plus its documentation, if I'm not mistaken, so you can take some inspiration from there as well, if needed. ;-)
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

Yincognito wrote: July 5th, 2022, 8:24 am... Or, if you want a specific color at skin load, just set the value of that variable accordingly and leave it there, while only removing the part from the context action above.
Yes, a specific color is desired. I have no luck, so far, in addition to removing the context action portion, I changed :

FontColor=#FontColor#

to :

FontColor=5,150,255

:(
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

MourningStar wrote: July 5th, 2022, 5:07 pm Yes, a specific color is desired. I have no luck, so far, in addition to removing the context action portion, I changed :

FontColor=#FontColor#

to :

FontColor=5,150,255

:(
Actually, you shouldn't have had to make that change in the related meters like I suppose you did. You'd still want to use the FontColor variable just like before, the only thing you should do is change the value you assign to the variable, in (I guess) the Variables.inc file. So basically you should find where the #FontColor# variable is initialized with a value, and leave the FontColor=#FontColor# options in the relavant meters as they were.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

Yincognito wrote: July 5th, 2022, 7:02 pm Actually, you shouldn't have had to make that change in the related meters like I suppose you did. You'd still want to use the FontColor variable just like before, the only thing you should do is change the value you assign to the variable, in (I guess) the Variables.inc file. So basically you should find where the #FontColor# variable is initialized with a value, and leave the FontColor=#FontColor# options in the relavant meters as they were.
ok - did as advised. however, cliking the skin to 'Change Text Color', the color palette does not appear.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

MourningStar wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:03 pm ok - did as advised. however, cliking the skin to 'Change Text Color', the color palette does not appear.
Did you changed the context menu item mentioned by Yincognito in this previous post? That would be the only reason why now that menu item doesn't appear for you; change it back to what Yincognito posted.

I am confused about your intention; you asked to manually change the font color to a single-color value, so why would you care about RGB4 not showing, since that addon no longer controls the font color!? :confused:

As you make changes to your skin it would be very helpful if you posted your complete current code, or a rmskin package so we know what changes you made and can better help you.

Saying you made changes and not seeing your code make it very difficult to follow or offer accurate advice.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

eclectic-tech wrote: July 6th, 2022, 12:49 amI am confused about your intention ...
read this.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

MourningStar wrote: July 6th, 2022, 2:39 am read this.
Yeah, from my point of view, the intention is more or less clear, but what eclectic-tech mentioned about the code is true as well: some time has passed since the last relies here and we don't know precisely how the code looks. The advice I wrote was based on a few assumptions regarding on how the code should look on your end, but obviously if it's sensibly different, then the advice would have to be adjusted as well.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote: July 6th, 2022, 12:49 am Did you changed the context menu item mentioned by Yincognito in this previous post? That would be the only reason why now that menu item doesn't appear for you; change it back to what Yincognito posted.

I am confused about your intention; you asked to manually change the font color to a single-color value, so why would you care about RGB4 not showing, since that addon no longer controls the font color!? :confused:

As you make changes to your skin it would be very helpful if you posted your complete current code, or a rmskin package so we know what changes you made and can better help you.

Saying you made changes and not seeing your code make it very difficult to follow or offer accurate advice.
Yeah, he basically wants to retain the ability to change the font color by using RainRGB, he just wants that color not to be remembered (aka saved) in the subsequent loadings of the skin, if I correctly understood the intention...
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

Yincognito wrote: July 6th, 2022, 9:39 am... if I correctly understood the intention...
you do.
Attachments
Sun1.ini
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 7 times