It is currently April 20th, 2024, 12:52 am

Limited English description of color matrix

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Limited English description of color matrix

Post by Yincognito »

This is probably a strange thing to ask, but since I'm not a native English speaker and it's related to Rainmeter, I thought of asking anyway. In a two line tooltip from one of my skins, I'm wondering what might be the best way to describe what the cells from a color matrix do for an image. Each of the two tooltip lines must have the same number of characters, ranging from 36 to 38, depending on the chosen description variant.

The second line of the tooltip is the reference one, and its contents can be either of the three possibilities (36, 37 or 38 character variants) below:

Code: Select all

Color matrix row 1 (Red) col 1 (Red)
Color matrix: row 1 (Red) col 1 (Red)
Color matrix: row 1 (Red), col 1 (Red)
I need my first line of the tooltip to be gramatically correct, to sound naturally and best describe what such a color matrix cell does, in a limited amount of characters. Some of my options, ranging from 30 to 32 characters (since the other 6 character difference is reserved for a space and the value, i.e.  -9.99) are:

Red percentage applied to Red:
Red percentage present in Red:
Red amount in the image's Red:
Amount of Red present in Reds:
Red percentage applied onto Red:
Red amount set on the image Red:
Red percentage present into Red:
Ratio of Red in the image's Red:
Value of Red in the image's Red:
Share of Red in the image's Red:
Red's amount in the image's Red:
Red amount set on component Red:
Red intensity in Red from image:
Red applied to Red of the image:
Together, they look like this (obviously, both the 1st and the 2nd "Red" occurences vary depending on the color matrix cell, i.e. they could be "Green" or "Blue" and so on):

Red percentage applied to Red: -9.99
Color matrix row 1 (Red) col 1 (Red)
Which of the variants for the first line above is best suited for the task? Or maybe you have another one? I'm thinking of grammatical articles, clarity in meaning (as in a "percentage of color red" and not a "percentage colored in red") and a good description of a color matrix cell (i.e. the decimal ratio of a specific color that is set on one of the R, G, B, A, W components from the image).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Limited English description of color matrix

Post by SilverAzide »

This option is not in your list, but what about: Percentage of Red applied to Red: ? Or is that 1 char too many? If so, then the first line... IMHO.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Limited English description of color matrix

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: June 12th, 2022, 9:38 pm This option is not in your list, but what about: Percentage of Red applied to Red: ? Or is that 1 char too many? If so, then the first line... IMHO.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider it. Having one character too many is probably not such a big deal, since I can expand or contract the second line much easier, to suit the first. Apart from that, this confirms my suspicion that the "of" syntax must be used, so it definitely helps. :thumbup:

I guess I'm trying to accomplish a bit too many things here, with using the precise term for everything, but well, that's how I work, I want things to be perfect. :lol:

In the end, the "percentage" is not what common people define as one, since it's not based on 100 as the total, expressing the fact that the second "red" is actually all the red components of the colors of every pixel in the image is not so easy to put in a compact way in a short sentence, etc. In any case, you gave me a good idea with this, forcing me to not be exclusively focused on making the first line fit the second, since the latter can be manipulated much more freely. Thanks again! :rosegift:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth